“Fine, dog friendly, nice staff, deals on meals”

Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Cheerful, clean rooms. A little cramped (we had two queen beds and there was very little walking space between the beds and the dressers) but lots of counter space, good showers, refrigerator and microwave. Comfy beds. They welcomed my two small dogs and made sure we had a 1st-floor room for ease of taking the dogs out. iHop and Brannigans on the property and showing out room keys got us 10% discounts on meals. We didn't use the pool or jaccuzi but others seemed to be having a good time. Loved the bright red drapes in the walkways. We'll definitely stay there next time we come down to Santa Clara.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 9, 2012

The rooms in this hotel have beds and linens that you could dream in all day. But even when you get out of the comfy bed, you will find everything about this hotel dreamy. Okay, it's not a four or five star mega property but it is a refurbished (really completely overhauled) mid-size hotel property that is a step beyond any other mid-size, mid-range property out there. The decor is colorful and exciting - not the typical drab, boring, cookie-cutter decor you usually find at comparable properties. The rooms have nice work station set-ups, large flat screen tvs, ipod docking station/radio combo and a small fridge. For the price this place can't be beat! Oh, did I mention the staff? Fantastic staff and my special thanks to them for getting some important documents I left in my room shipped to me by FedEx.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank whynotroam
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I've stayed once (April 2012) at the Avatar Hotel at Great America in Santa Clara. It was a good experience. The hotel decor is fairly up-to-date and my room was very clean. Front desk staff was friendly. Room was a little cramped for having 2 twin (or full?) beds. Most room doors open onto exterior walkways, not interior hallways. Not as upscale as the nearby Marriott or Hyatt, but significantly less expensive so I vote it good value for the money.

The hotel is close to not just Great America but also the Santa Clara Convention Center, Intel, McAfee, EMC's local office, some Yahoo offices, and the AMC Mercado theatre complex with its nearby restaurants.

Parking was free, WiFi was free, pool was heated (though a little small for laps), and fitness room was better than average with cardio equipment, dumbbells, and 3 weight machines. No free breakfast but you can get 10% off at the IHOP or Bennigans next door (IHOP open 24 hours). Access to the parking lot can be a little inconvenient when traveling Northbound on Great America Parkway. I didn't know about the shuttle so cannot comment on it.

I'd be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Bennigans might experience occasional evening noise from the parking lot.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank John K
Reviewed April 18, 2012

This is a neat little hotel convenient to many major business names. The front desk is extremely accommodating and there is a free shuttle to anything within a five mile radius of the hotel (plus the airport). I agree with the other reviewers that the beds and the body size pillows are a dream! House keeping doesn't speak much english but if you can smile they can work with you. All employees here are friendly and want to help you out. Shout out to Bill, Jake, Alysia, Sergio and Irwin!
The pool is heated and not very busy when I was here. There is 2 public computers and a free printer in the tiny but accessible business centre. There is an adequate fitness room and a nicely equipped commons where there is a wine and cheese hour every weeknight...and the commons remains open 24-7 as does the fitness room.
The place is very clean and I felt safe here. The rooms have either a courtyard or a parking lot view. All rooms have a knee to ceiling glass wall covered by thick blinds. Here again I agree with the poster Chris_Tretta that the doors did not have proper weather stripping at the bottom and will let in light and road noise if you have a front facing room.

I stayed here 3 weeks for business and I found it awkward to get to any shopping. If you have a rental car, this place is great, if you don't, you will be spending a lot on taxis. The nearest major city mall is a 50$ cab ride away. There is a small one around the corner, but it really doesn't have much to offer. There is many restaurants to choose from including IHOP on site, Bennigan's next door and to the opposite side, there is a tiny mall with a small convenience store, a bottle shop and about 4 restaurants including an awesome and affordable one called Iguanas that serves tex-mex. There is also a catholic church across the back parking lot that needs to be visited if only to see the beautiful statuary that they have. The congregation is very welcoming if this is something you are looking for.

Be sure to check out the walls of robots in the lobby when you arrive! 2pts if you can find Bender!
Oh yeah, I almost forgot - continental breakfast is a 10$ voucher for the on site IHOP. Enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Sassix
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I saw this place on line after most everthing else was sold out. It's across the 101 from the office I was supporting. The reviews were good overall. I took a chance.

I'm glad I did. It was a fun hotel. The decor is pretty wild, but the furniture is very comfortable. The bed was outstanding. The triple sheet combo was nice and warm. The desk was very usable, but only had two power outlets. Wireless had good speed overall. The shower was large and roomy, but the bathroom sink was small and confined. Closet is good sized.

That said, I know it was a different hotel previously. It had concrete floors though, so it was reasonably quiet when walking around. But...There was no weather stripping on the bottom of my door and there was about a 1" gap between the door and the floor. The traffic noise was loud until about 10 when it started to settle down.

The staff was very friendly, and they had a free drink hour that we couldn't take advantage of, unfortunately. There is no breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Chris_Tretta
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I was really late in planning a work trip, and The Avatar appeared to be my best option recently.

The Avatar was pretty convenient to my office (I noticed towers for McAfee and Yahoo across the street) and just off the 101. It's clear the hotel had undergone a pretty major renovation, with the aim of making a motel-format feel hip and luxurious. For example, the open air hallways were carpeted, and had curtains as decor.

The room itself was a good size, nice comfy bed, couch and TV. I slept OK - bed was great but the air conditioning unit was LOUD in kicking on/off all night. The gym seemed decent... But at 6am it was packed both mornings, so I went into the office to work out/shower.

My main issue, though, was in how The Avatar functions as a motel. My room was in the back of the complex, facing the parking lot. The hallways, being open to the street, seemed desolate. I didn't see security or anyone patrolling the area. As a female traveling by myself, this just felt awkward. I felt a little vulnerable. (Even more so that the man who checked in at the same time as me was put in the room next to me. Just awkward.). It was late, I was tired, and I didn't want to drive back around to the desk to get a new room... But if I had to stay here again, I would ask for a room on the courtyard. Second, when I came home the second day, the blinds had been opened so that the room was visible to the hall. I'm all for sunlight... But now anyone who walks by can see that my room is inhabited and anything that I might have left out near the window. (Which happened to be my whole suitcase on the couch.)

Bottom line: good location, comfortable room, but be prepared that it's a motel.

Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank CAHoya
Reviewed February 14, 2012

The comfort of the bed was the best. Sheets were just soft enough for real comfort. There was also a lap table for the bed so I could work and enjoy the multiple pillows. Overall excellent bedness. The rest of the room was just fine. Very clean and appropriate for the business traveler.

The morning coffee, sucked. One morning it was the color of weak tea, and the next moring there wasn't any. We waited in the lobby for 10 minutes and it never came.

We were there as a group and were treated very courteously and as if they enjoyed their jobs.

Room Tip: Choose rooms facing the pool or inside of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business