“Decent and comfortable”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Taichung, Taiwan
“Decent and comfortable”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed here during my business trip last month.
The location is convenient to campus and near the conference hall. Everything is good, friendly stuff, clean room, modern style, but not outstanding. Generally I got good stay here ESP the good sleep with comfortable bed, which is what I need for jetlag recovering.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Wenyu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
Vancouver
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Stayed here recently on a business trip as it is close to one of our office locations and we have a corporate rate. Everything was good but not spectacular. Front desk staff was welcoming and friendly; the lobby and overall hotel theme was pretty interesting and gave a fresh twist compared to other standard hotel chains, although one can tell that the location used to be a 2 or 2.5 star motel. Bed was comfortable and in-room amenities were enough, although I found it a bit too noisy for my liking overnight. Fitness center is small but has good equipment. Location is convenient with an IHOP attached and a short walk to an outdoor strip with restaurants and shopping. I would recommend this to someone doing business in the area and looking for a convenient and comfortable overnight stay.

1 Thank kaged008
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed November 10, 2011

The hotel is close to our offices, so I stayed there with colleagues. My room was a good size, clean, and well looked after, and the wifi was free and consistent across the hotel.

The corridors are motel-style, and open to an external parking lot, so security was rather low, but I didn't have any particular problems. The outer parts of the hotel weren't as good as the rooms.

The gym is small, but well-equipped - the only problem I'd say is that the TV is in one corner of the room, and can't easily be seen from all of the equipment.

There's no restaurant attached: there's an International House of Pancakes (beware calories!) which is basic, and a Bennigan's about 30 metres away. Other than that, there's not much choice for food, though I hear that the Marriott across the way is pretty good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road (Great America Parkway) if you want to get some sleep: one of...
Vancouver
Reviewed October 28, 2011

I normally do not stay in the area. I prefer to stay in San Jose and drive in to Santa Clara area but not this time as there were few hotel rooms available. I chose the Avatar as I have stayed at JDV hotels in San Francisco. For starters my JDV card number was not valid, oh well there goes the 10 nights I have built up (not an Avatar issue). Check in was smooth, I was told my "JDV membership amenity" would be in the room but it was notand there was no radio. Now to the front desk's clerk credit, he gave me my amenity and brought me a radio, in other words, he really tried hard to make things right. I have two cups of coffee in the morning from the complimentary coffee maker. The second day I could only have one because the coffee was not replaced. There is free coffee at reception so my needs were met. On my 2nd day I was at check in to ask something and overheard the clerk tell a guest as he was checking in about the wine reception, where all the amenities were etc. I did not get that. The beds were comfy, the rooms quiet. I tried really hard to like the hotel and will probably stay again if I have to but the service was sketchy. The extras, the coffee, the amenities not a huge deal, but noticeable. The missing clock... I had been up since 3am and it was one extra thing I had to deal with which I really did not want to. So would I recommend this hotel? It is in a great location for Silicon Valley work, not a lot of eating choices nearby though and if you have no alternatives go for it. I feel like they are trying hard to find their feet until they do should charge a little less.

Room Tip: Ask not to face the street.
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 27, 2011

The Avatar has a wonderful staff who are ready to accommodate their guests in any way that they can. The hotel is connected to the IHOP, which is convenient. The rooms are clean and fresh. The bedding is comfortable and welcoming. I liked the "Tech" theme throughout Avatar. There is a wine hour where white and red wine is served. There is a large open space for a gathering and and a opportunity to chill. The resturants and fast food places are within walking distance. A comfortable boutique hotel. Great value for the money.

Room Tip: Avatar is located close to the main road so finding a quiet room may be hard to come by. I would not...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Our stay at the Avatar was a complete delight. Being from the area, we knew the property under a previous name and format. The redo has been expertly executed and is a pleasant surprise.

This is a functional place, perfect for business travelers. The room was spotless and modern. Really fun, euro-inspired decor. Huge desk with multiple outlets and ergonomic chair. Flawless WiFi.

We had an initial situation where an offer for an upgrade to a deluxe king was offered at a higher price in person than what was online. After investigating, the manager provided the upgrade gratis to make up for any confusion.

Highly recommended. I tried to extend the stay but sadly (for me - happily for their continued success) they were booked. Can't wait to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank PaulKonrardy
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I was in town on business for one night and this hotel was booked as "company-preferred" hotel. I was skeptical because I've never heard of it before but gave it a try because it was significantly cheaper than other hotels in the area.

Overall, it was an average hotel. The room was clean. The modern decor of the room was a nice change of pace. Free parking. There was decent food options within walking distance (there's a IHOP in the same building). The exercise room was small, but the equipment was in good shape (5 cardio machines plus some weights). There was also a nice pool.

I wouldn't necessarily avoid this hotel, but next time, I would probably look for another hotel. Biggest concerns:
-Exterior doors: This hotel has the motel-style set up with the room doors opening directly to the outside, which means the only window in the room also is at street level. If you open the window for some light, you feel like an animal on exhibit at the zoo. It also doesn't feel very private even with the blinds closed.
-Small room! I'm usually not one to complain about room size because there's really only so much room one person can take up, but this room was exceptionally small. In the bathroom, you have to shimmy into the space between the toilet and tub in order to close the door. Setting up the ironing board basically takes up all the open square footage in the room.
-Loud AC. Everytime the AC kicked in, I woke up. The room was too hot without it, so it was very annoying.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business