“accomodations equal price”
Review of Mariani's Inn

Mariani's Inn
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
Reviewed April 24, 2013

this was an okay place to stay, access to wifi/cable worked; great buffet; parking available location near major highways
my only complaint was the rug was old and stained, the room was clean though, coffee and frig in room were nice to have; front desk service was good

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Kara B

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I never write reviews and was looking for a budget place to stay - so it's not like I was expecting much here. But this has to be one of the worst places I have ever stayed. For a cheap hotel it is still very run down, parking is difficult (you should see the spaces near the pool - good luck there), and the outside congregations of people at night was alarming to say the least. The first room they put me in was beneath a room that (I was told later) had hard wood floors. If you've ever lived underneath hard wood floors in cheap construction then you know what that sounds like. I managed to get them to move me (after the desk had to call the manager - really?) -- but why would they even put someone in there in the first place? The next room was loud but at least no-one was above me. However, first time I ever slept on top of a bed in a hotel. At checkout they wouldn't print a receipt for the stay. I had accidently misread the dates and at checkin told them I was not needing the final night - no refunds on that. Bottom line - find someplace else to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank crp_travels
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My sister and I stayed here Easter Weekend and we had a great time. The Easter Sunday Brunch was amazing with free flowing champagne and everything a brunch should be with fresh seafood, prime rib, pasta, salad, fruit, we could not sample everything this buffet had to offer because it was so extensive. Everything was delicious. This Inn is well known for its excellent restaurant according to my mom and now I know why. They also do have a brunch every Sunday here..
We stayed two nites at the Inn and the rooms although small were very clean and the beds were comfortable. They have a full breakfast with hash brown, eggs, huge fruit spread, cereal and french toast with bacon too. Great bonus. We hope to stay again because my mom lives near by and we come from out of town. Would recommend.

Room Tip: choose one in back more quiet
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We took a chance and booked our budget accommodation through Hotwire.com which landed us at Mariani's Inn. To be honest, I was very apprehensive about the place since it wasn't one we had considered or expected to be allotted. Anyway, since payment had been made, we hoped for the best and prepared ourselves for the worst and made our way to SF.

When our car pulled up at Mariani's Inn, I was charmed by its quiet, simple and pleasant exterior. It didn't seem that bad I thought- at least on the outside. We checked into our room and I was pleasantly surprised to find that our little bed-and-board was extremely clean! It was neat and tidy and un-presumptuous. The toilet was also as spic-and-span as it could be-- which is very important to me and a huge plus point. Cable TV was available which was nice to have.

The only things that niggled me a little during my stay there were 1) that if you throw your take-out boxes or foodstuff purchased from outside into your trash, room service will not clear it for you (they didn't clear ours! which was not nice, but okay since there was a huge trash bin right across the parking lot from our room and the way there was sheltered all the way from our room- takes just a sec to walk there and back), and 2) the freezer compartment in the refrigerator is rather primitive (its basically a frozen ice box) and doesn't freeze too well. Otherwise, for the price we paid (about USD 68 a night), I'd say we received okay value. I really enjoyed the cleanliness of the room which was so very important since I was travelling with my then 6 month-old baby- who seemed very comfortable staying in the room too, to my great pleasure and relief.

Oh yes, and their famed hot breakfast is pretty good, though the menu does not vary at all. It's sausages, fried potato cubes with salsa, bacon, pastry, cereal, juice, milk and fruit everyday. Tobasco sauce and ketchup were provided which makes everything delicious, so that we enjoyed.

All in all, I'm not raving about this place but it was good enough to meet my needs (I do consider myself easy to please when it comes to accommodation), so I would consider returning to stay again.

(PS. There was no hairdryer or microwave like other reviewers pointed out but we didn't have need of those things so that did not bother us. We also didn't use any of their facilities like the pool or the gym so I'm not reviewing those. I just think their rooms and breakfast are pretty decent.)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 3, 2013

It wasn't tiptop, or new, but I liked it in spite of its drawbacks. Maybe it reminded me of home. Teh price was good. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the restaurant was good, I enjoyed the complimentary breakfast buffet and the pool and hot tub. Our room was a little small and the refrigerator was too loud. We had to unplug it, same as another reviewer. However, I would recommend this place to anyone with similar standards to mine.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Pictures say a thousand words "Here are potos of our room. I'm not sure what room the other pictures posted came from but the room we stayed in was gross. No microwave and no hair dryer as it said there was one. Ever since the owner passed away the hotel has done down hill. Either remodel it or bulldoze it!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lady95051
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We booked two rooms for a three night stay here. I had read some of the reviews and thought I'd try a stay, inspite of rather low to average marks. The low marks given are being kind. Dirty walkways outside the rooms, which appear to have month-to-month lodger's B-B-Q's and furniture set up in front. Parking in the cul de sac lot was difficult to get in and out of. The front sliding windows were not capable of being secured, as one latch was broken off and the other window was installed backwards. Management stated that the short wooden dowling in the window track was their method of security. Rooms were stuck in the early 1970's and smelled. We stayed all of about 30 minutes or the time it took to book another hotel. It's sad the Mariani name, with it's historic place in Santa Clara, is attached to this caliber of a hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid Staying Here, Sad To Say
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Best Western Santa Clara University Inn
Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel

Been to Mariani's Inn? Share your experiences!