“Great Addition to Great Western Brand”

Best Western Santa Clara University Inn
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Great new additon to the Best Western brand. Property has been totally renovated and is in a great location. Employees are great and very helpful. We had to make a last minute trip to Santa Clara due to a death in our family. Property and rooms are much nicer than pictures show on website.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank 541sandraw
Curtis C, General Manager at Best Western Santa Clara University Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear 541sandraw,

Thank you for the feedback. We all appreciate your kind words regarding the property and the employees. We just finished a major renovation that lasted well over a year. All of our amenities and guest room furnishings were based on Best Western Plus standards. We also went above what was required by adding an elevator, upgraded fitness room, brand new Wi-Fi, and added an upgraded breakfast room that goes well beyond Best Western standards. The last piece of our transformation is completing our guest laundry, which should be available to guests within a few weeks.

I will post professional photographs within a few weeks to better showcase our beautiful property.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Santa Clara University Inn

Reviewed April 10, 2014

They said they did a makeover on the hotel. It was more like a cover up. It had its hardships before but this makeover did nothing for the place. The door wouldnt even latch close so I had to bolt and lock the security locks plus put a chair in front of the door. The fixtures where crooked on the walls and the toilet sat crooked. Just very disappointed with this Best Western in all. The only reason why I didnt report it to the front desk was because the gal was so nice I felt sorry that she would have to had heard all the complaints. The front desk gal was the only good thing that I experienced at that stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Diana Lee M

Dear Diana Lee,

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay at our property.

Safety and security is always our utmost priority. We tested all of our deadbolts and secondary locks before we officially re-opened a couple of weeks ago. Housekeepers are also required to test the deadbolts and other items before exiting the room. I have shared your experience with housekeeping and engineering to ensure we continue to identify and fix potential issues immediately.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

With the "upgrades" of new paint over the smelly walls, and the "new" carpet on top of the old crap musty stuff they have raised prices to $159 per night.

For this dump?

I mean come on guys, even when it was $90 a night it was a stretch. The "breakfast" they serve is piss poor, and having remnants of bugs laying around the toaster area is pretty taste treat as well.

All in all after 5 years of going here, I am now converting to someplace else. Pretty disappointing that the rates have gone too much (can any one say "49er" rate since the niners are moving to santa clara this owner thinks he can get away with this)

Room Tip: Check out different locations, even Hotel Granada Inn, while quite dated, is still a better deal tha...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Curtis C, General Manager at Best Western Santa Clara University Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear Millferr,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay with us. All of our guest rooms have recently received an extensive renovation. This includes all items such as new refrigerators, microwaves, lamps, desk chairs, heating & air conditioning units, carpeting, tile, and all new furniture. We also completely revamped our complimentary high speed wireless internet, and added satellite TV to include an extensive selection of channels.

In addition to the brand new rooms, we are also renovating all other areas of the hotel. We are adding a new elevator, guest laundry, and fitness center. We are also renovating the lobby, and adding a new breakfast area which will include a complimentary hot breakfast in a few months. We do currently offer a complimentary continental breakfast between 6:00 am and 10:00 am daily. The breakfast table is located directly in front of our temporary front desk and is cleaned and broken down daily. Our breakfast includes a selection of breads, bagels, pastries, cereal, fresh fruit, fruit juices, and coffee. I do at times see toast crumbs around the toaster while getting my morning coffee, but we will ensure this is wiped down more frequently after a busy morning rush.

We have raised our rates slightly to become more competitive with the other hotels in the area. We are still pricing well below the market because of our renovation. Some hotels in the area charge as much as $200 and $300 during the middle of the week.

I hope you give us another opportunity to earn your business once we open as a Best Western in a few months.

Respectfully,

Reviewed August 28, 2013

If I had known this property was under MAJOR construction, I'd have booked elsewhere. I even called them to confirm my reservation.....front desk said NOTHING...unethnical! We're in a corner room on the 2nd floor in the middle of a construction zone - 90+% of the rooms were being redone - ceiling, floor, the whole 9-yard. We're even 'charged' an extra $100 security deposit lest we brought in a pet or smoke in a non-smoking room which might ruin their new furnishing.....no, we committed no such offense and got our $ back. Parking lot was 98% filled; w/construction vehicles and containers of construction materials; 'swimming pool' was surrounded by concrete blocks - who would 'dare' swim? Our room was 'newly' renovated - missing wardrobe appeared on our last day - no rod or hanger still. no coffee pot, hairdryer....unclear whether they plan to put them in. Part of the 2nd floor hallway was ripped up one day. We're soooooo glad that we finally left when we saw empty beer cans lying around in the hallway.....We checked in really late at night and had no energy to look for another place in the middle of the night in a unfamiliar city.....I'd give this 1 star if not for the hardworking front desk and housecleaning staff - they're pleasant, friendly and efficient. BTW, for what we paid, we had many choices - I made the mistake of thinking that I try a Ramada .....will think twice in the future...SERIOUSLY.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The hotel was very nice. Price/Quality performance is high.

All hotel personel was so polite and helpfull. Hotel is secure and clean.

You easiliy feal like you're at home.

Thanks Dess and other helpfull front desk personel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Erhan L
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was our second stay in two weeks. We found the room large and comfortable with a microwave and refrigerator. We stayed for 5 nights due to a medical procedure and the need to stay to heal before the 350 mile car ride home. The entire staff did everything to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Even though construction was going on during the week, there was limited noise. The microwave and refrigerator were invaluable in warming up soup and fixing sandwiches.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor were the best.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Bajalolo
Reviewed March 18, 2013

A friend and I were sharing a room. She arrived first, and left a key with my name at the front desk. When I arrived a few hours later, the front desk couldn't find the key, nor could they locate my friend or myself in their reservation system. I gave the man my confirmation number, which began with a 3, and he told me that their confirmation numbers don't begin with 3's. Many phone calls and about 30 minutes later, he located my friend in the computer, called her room and woke her up, and finally I got a key. Not a great welcome.

The rest of my stay was uneventful (clean enough room, acceptable breakfast -- the hot water is in the water cooler), but I wouldn't stay again because of the disorganization at the front desk.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Best Western Airport Plaza
#11 of 75 in San Jose
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Santa Clara
Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Been to Best Western Santa Clara University Inn? Share your experiences!