“BEWARE! Hard-hat area!”

Best Western Santa Clara University Inn
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
Reviewed August 28, 2013

If I had known this property was under MAJOR construction, I'd have booked elsewhere. I even called them to confirm my reservation.....front desk said NOTHING...unethnical! We're in a corner room on the 2nd floor in the middle of a construction zone - 90+% of the rooms were being redone - ceiling, floor, the whole 9-yard. We're even 'charged' an extra $100 security deposit lest we brought in a pet or smoke in a non-smoking room which might ruin their new furnishing.....no, we committed no such offense and got our $ back. Parking lot was 98% filled; w/construction vehicles and containers of construction materials; 'swimming pool' was surrounded by concrete blocks - who would 'dare' swim? Our room was 'newly' renovated - missing wardrobe appeared on our last day - no rod or hanger still. no coffee pot, hairdryer....unclear whether they plan to put them in. Part of the 2nd floor hallway was ripped up one day. We're soooooo glad that we finally left when we saw empty beer cans lying around in the hallway.....We checked in really late at night and had no energy to look for another place in the middle of the night in a unfamiliar city.....I'd give this 1 star if not for the hardworking front desk and housecleaning staff - they're pleasant, friendly and efficient. BTW, for what we paid, we had many choices - I made the mistake of thinking that I try a Ramada .....will think twice in the future...SERIOUSLY.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 19, 2013

The hotel was very nice. Price/Quality performance is high.

All hotel personel was so polite and helpfull. Hotel is secure and clean.

You easiliy feal like you're at home.

Thanks Dess and other helpfull front desk personel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Erhan L
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was our second stay in two weeks. We found the room large and comfortable with a microwave and refrigerator. We stayed for 5 nights due to a medical procedure and the need to stay to heal before the 350 mile car ride home. The entire staff did everything to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Even though construction was going on during the week, there was limited noise. The microwave and refrigerator were invaluable in warming up soup and fixing sandwiches.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor were the best.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Bajalolo
Reviewed March 18, 2013

A friend and I were sharing a room. She arrived first, and left a key with my name at the front desk. When I arrived a few hours later, the front desk couldn't find the key, nor could they locate my friend or myself in their reservation system. I gave the man my confirmation number, which began with a 3, and he told me that their confirmation numbers don't begin with 3's. Many phone calls and about 30 minutes later, he located my friend in the computer, called her room and woke her up, and finally I got a key. Not a great welcome.

The rest of my stay was uneventful (clean enough room, acceptable breakfast -- the hot water is in the water cooler), but I wouldn't stay again because of the disorganization at the front desk.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Standard 3-star motel. The Good: plenty of hot water & good heating system. Microwave & fridge worked. Big fluffy towels. Lots of pillows & an extra blanket. Enough outlets to recharge every gadget. Friendly front desk. Across the street from city hall park. Easy access to San Tomas expressway. The Not-so-Good: Meagre breakfast (no hot water?!?) Small room. Bureau/desk in dated '70s Star Trek decor. Coffee-stained services guide. No fitness room. But we'd stay there again because it's good enough & close to family.

Room Tip: Away from El Camino Real.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank forthwrite
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I stay here because it is near the family home. It has been sold to Best Western so look for the rates to double as with most of their properties. We find it is inconsistent experience. House keeping does a great job but front desk does not care about anything except a paycheck. Carpets are filthy and during the renovation a construction crew was cutting stone tiles at 8AM on a Sunday. I guess unions don't exist in the Ramada world. This review is probably irrelevant for this property,but makes us take pause to stay in any other Ramada if they let this crap go on.

Room Tip: Tip envelopes for housekeeping.I thought it meant To Insure Perfect Service...Sheesh!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bouncey
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Pro:
- It seems that some renovations have been made in recent times. The bed seems to be pretty new and is quite comfortable.
- free wireless with reasonable good speed.
- ok prices for this area
- efficient and quick reception
Cons
- Very loud fried. And I not talking about the noise that you might know from minibars. It is a constant very loud noise. Switching off does not seems to be a option because the freezer is completely iced up, so I guess when you switch it of and open the fridge the next time you will have a mini Tsunami in your room
- Beside the bed and the TV the room is old overall. Especially the bathroom sink and shower needs an update

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Pierre G