“Hotel Stratford is no hotel!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Stratford

Hotel Stratford
Ranked #20 of 33 Hotels in Santa Clara
Los Angeles area
“Hotel Stratford is no hotel!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

The first thing that is important to know is this is no hotel, despite the name. This is a two-story, old-school motel, the kind with an exterior stairway (no elevator that I saw), exterior room doors and parking places that front each ground-floor room. Thank goodness we got a second-floor room. That's the only thing that made this place bearable. I would not want to be the poor people below us. As hard as I tried, I could not help causing all kinds of floor creaking as I walked around my room. The room itself was OK, but certainly nothing to write home about, as other reviews here would have you believe (I'm wondering if they were written by employees). It was clean, that is true. But other than that, very basic. It had an old-style bedspread as opposed to comforters you tend to see in modern hotels. Very cheap and minimal toiletries. And we had all kinds of problems with the air conditioner. Not worth the price we paid for it. Would definitely not stay here for more than one night.

Room Tip: Demand a second-story room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Kaycj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sacramento,Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

This is a fabulous, quality hotel. The rooms are very nice and have an appearance of a fancy hotel suite. Breakfast is standard continental: mini muffins, fruit (apples and oranges), cereal, toast, o.j. and apple juice, instant oatmeal packets and coffee (I don't recall any tea though). The TV is a 30+ inch flat screen with a lot of satellite channels (most of which you will not watch as they are the standard fluff channels found in every TV market) plus a few movie channels. Microwave and fridge in room, marble counter for sink, closet for clothes (and it has a bench for your suitcase). Shower was nice, but the shower head didn't appear to be adjustable in the angle of the head. My only complaint was that the bed was stiff and flat, causing me to keep turning over through out the night due to pressure points on my shoulder and hip. If the bed was better I would stay here again. However, if you are a back or stomach sleeper you probably won't have any issues with the bed and pressure points. Other than that it is a great value motel to stay at and I recommend it to anyone. The room was spacious and quiet--just be aware that the mattress may be too stiff/flat for your sleeping habits (I'm sure it may depend on which room you get as well. I was in 214).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank placerman
Novato, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

Got lucky when I found this place online while delayed and diverted flying back from NC. I was supposed to go to SFO but the only flight they had was to San Jose. I've never flown into this airport and I'm always super concerned about ending up in a hotel that is a) too expensive for my needs; b) dirty; c) scary neighborhood; d) rude staff. Hotel Stratford (rm 203) is freshly painted in desert colors with large crown molding, cleaner than most corporate hotels, plantation shutters, free continental breakfast (bagels, surprise!), microwave and good size fridge in room. Hot shower, Suave soaps and free wifi. Friendly, helpful staff--they are real people folks, so treat them like you would your neighbor & they'll go out of their way to figure out how to help you with your many questions. Happy travels!

Room Tip: Rm 203 is in the corner upstairs, very quiet and close to breakfast & office.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank GirlwithaGlass
Fairfax, Va.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I found this place through a coupon magazine, which tend to offer deals on two star (or less) motels. The Hotel Stratford was a big, big surprise. The room sparked and was extremely clean. Everything looked new. Satellite/flat screen TV. Continental breakfast. Quiet, well sound insulated rooms. Helpful, courteous staff. I would definitely recomment this motel to both business and leisure travelers.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank kr51
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

This place is perfect for travelers I arrived late at night and Rena checked me in with a huge smile on her face, that makes my whole trip I arrived from a 8 hrs trip and no smile in any place but she was happy all the time and make ne feel welcome I must say I had a couple friends staying at the Biltmore they complain on everything so I told them to stay here, the hotel has cont breakfast really good clean and lcd HD TV great for the star rating they have, I will come back and will keep recommending this hotel

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Gabe M
Kihei, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

We opted to stay here instead of in a "hotel" and am for the price it was a great stay. We checked in after midnight and the gal in the office was most helpful. If we ever travel that way again, I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Bosque97
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

We just needed a room for the night before our flight out the next day. This hotel was just fine. The room was spacious and clean. The place was quiet and we slept well. Breakfast was your typical one for this tier hotel, but with the nice addition of fresh bananas and hard-boiled eggs. Only one caveat -- we did not see a good place to eat supper and the neighborhood seemed a bit run down. We had a bottle of wine with us and ordered pizza, so all was fine, however. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple