“Solid choice in Santa Clara”

Santa Clara Marriott
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Santa Clara Marriott

This is not my first stay at Santa Clara Marriott, however it is my first review of the hotel. I will try to reflect on my 10+ previous stays, where appropriate, to provide more relevant information.

Hotel is located in Santa Clara and primarily caters for business visitors, however it is one of several better hotels there that are located close to Great America park (0.7 miles walking distance). Other options of decent quality nearby are Hilton Santa Clara and Hyatt Regency Santa Clara (Hilton being closest). Car is certainly required to go pretty much anywhere else. Note that parking (self-parking option) costs $9/day.

The hotel have 3 separate wings - South Tower, North Tower and Courtyard wing. Executive lounge is located at the top of South Tower, however since not so long ago they started to serve lounge breakfast in the bar at the ground floor. I personally would advise against staying at the Courtyard wing due to potential noise from the swimming pool. Either South or North tower are preferable - high floors highly advisable due to chillers on the roof of the restaurant (noisy). For the similar reasons, if you are light sleepers, avoid rooms close to elevators and to vending areas (they are very noisy, but only when operated - so even if they are quiet at the moment of your check-in, it may change).

Santa Clara Marriott have substantial size swimming pool and the hot tub. It can become quite noisy with the children playing in the pool. Fitness center is substantial with lots of cardio equipment, weights and other amenities.

This time around my stay was for 2 nights. I was allocated the room in North tower. When I went upstairs to have a look, room was the one next door to vending/ice and the elevator lobby. As I am light sleeper, and I know that it can be quite noisy, I immediately went back down to the reception and asked to be moved. They said that unfortunately they no longer have any rooms with king size bed available, but there are some availability with 2 double beds. When facing the choice between 2 evils (smaller bed or noisier room), I chose smaller bed. My room was in North tower on the side facing US-101, however motorway noise was not a problem. What was a (usual for this hotel) problem is air-conditioning. Hotel has window a/c units that are usually noisier than built-in units. This time I did not use a/c as it was not hot, but do note.

Room was of adequate size with 2 double beds, writing table/chair, easy chair with journal table and LCD TV. Room has a "balcony" - not a step out balcony but rather a balcony door with mosquito screen. I am not sure anyone will be willing to sleep with balcony door open so close to US-101 but this is an option. Desk lamp was not working so I called engineering. Engineering apologized that they do not have any more desk lamps and offered to move bed-table lamp to the desk, which was fine with me - in a nice gesture engineering person said that he'll tell reception to give some points for inconvenience - several days later 1000 points appeared on the statement. I like when hotels do this without asking. There was no bathrobe/sleepers in the room but I asked and they send it up.

Bathroom has usual set of toiletries, shower over bath, toilet and sink with the mirror.

Internet was free for gold/platinum members and quite fast/reliable. For guests without status I think price is ~$12/day.

Executive lounge served some hot dishes (this time it was chicken "casserole"), soup, salad, nacho chips with salsa, also there was fruit and cheese platter. There was "honor" bar with wines at $6/glass and spirits $8/glass. I am always skeptical when Marriott tells they sell these drinks at a nominal charge - wines were of $6/bottle quality. After ~7pm food was removed and replaced with sweets. Water, coffee and soft drinks are available throughout the day. Breakfast for gold/platinum elite members is served downstairs in the sports bar. Breakfast has reasonable choice of hot food (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, hash-browns), yoghurts, spreads, tea and coffee (Starbucks). Choice of juices did not include tomato juice, but staff was willing to travel an extra mile, so they fetched me a glass - much appreciated.

Main hotel's restaurant is Parcel 101 which also serves buffet breakfast for hotel guests, and sports bar. Parcel 101 is on expensive side but food quality is decent, sports bar is OK for less casual dining with my favorite being Caesar salad with grilled king prawns and glass of chateau St Michelle Riesling. There is also Starbucks corner in the lobby.

Overall, quite decent hotel, not better or worse than other major chain hotels nearby (e.g. Westin, Hilton) so it essentially comes down to your chain preference.

If anyone has any questions related to this hotel I will be glad to answer (if I know the answer) - just ask.

Room Tip: avoid courtyard wing, lower floors in north/south tower or rooms close to vending if you are light s...
1  Thank avsm
Tim H, General Manager at Santa Clara Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback, it's truly valued and appreciated. As we have many travelers come through Santa Clara, our goal is give them the best hotel expereince possible. Your feedback is important and I thank you for your continued patronage choosing the Santa Clara Marriott as your hotel in the Silicon Valley. My hope is that we will continue to give you exceptional service as you stay with us in the near future.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

I stayed here last week on business. This is truly an excellent Marriott. The location is great in terms of getting to the hi-tech companies that abound in Santa Clara. The customer service is exceptional. They also have a fantastic lobby. It's homey, yet expansive, with lots of comfortable chairs as well as tables. Although they don't have free internet in the rooms, which is a pet peeve of mine, the lobby totally makes up for it. There is free wifi in the lobby, and it's much nicer to get some work done in a well-appointed lobby than in your hotel room anyway. There's also a Starbucks in the lobby, which is handy. You have to pay for parking, the the self-park option is convenient with a good system. Overall it was a real pleasure to stay here.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Tim H, General Manager at Santa Clara Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful feedback! It's great to hear how well the hotel is doing while providing a great product with excellent customer service. We continue to strive in serving our guests well and making each stay exceptional while they are away from home. I hope that you continue to chose the Santa Clara Marriott as your destination hotel when traveling to the Bay Area. Thank you again and we'll see you soon!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Approximately 1/2 mile off route 101 you will find this great hotel. It is very convenient if you are planning to visit Santa Clara Convention center which is located less than a mile from the property.
I was greeted by very friendly staff. Lobby appearance was very appealing.
I did not have the opportunity to dine at the hotel's two restaurants, but they were highly ranked by Urban Spoon.
Room hallways gave me the impression the hotel was old, but when I entered the room it was a different story. Carpet was semi-new looking and very clean. Bed were comfortable although they did squeak a bit. The room wasn't too big but it was kept top notch. Bathroom, although being a very tiny one, was impeccable.

Self parking rate was decent compared to other hotels.

This property has a climate controlled outdoor pool, which I guess would be nice for those who like to swim. I also passed by the gym and it looked very nice, machines looked new.

It is located across an IHOP, a bagel place (which by the way is excellent), a pizzeria and very short distance to other restaurants.

In my opinion, in a scale from 1 to 100, I would give this property a 90. Complimentary regular coffee, free self-parking for guests (since they have two big parking lots) and free internet would have put this property close to 100.

1  Thank OArratia

Thank you for sharing your great feedback. We take pride in our product and hospitality, and when that enviornment is created, it translates into having happy guests. The Santa Clara Marriott is in a great location with immediate access to 101 and near the 237 which suits the corportate traveler very well. An AMC 20 Movie complex, TJMaxx and jogging trails are just around the corner when other needs arise. With all of these options around, it makes traveling easy. Thank you again and we look forward to hosting your future stays with us.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

RECOMMENDED: This property has been here for ages, good location, easy access to 101. The layout includes 2 towers and some connected 2 story small buildings. Marriott is on top of any maintenance here and the property has been renovated several times in it's history. It's a popular on the Silicon Valley route and best to book early.

Check-in was friendly quick (thanks to Cathy from Hong Kong!) and they dealt with a special specific room request (as I was staying for several days). Rooms are quite large, well appointed and in good repair. Internet comes in 2 flavors, cheap n' slow, or fast/$$$. Worked well despite hotel operating at peak with load of tech professionals all on the Internet.

Good room lighting and desk area, nice TV. Bedding comfortable and AC/heating worked well (in room unit not too noisy). If there is a downside, the bathroom is quite small and is likely a hold-over from the original design (and difficult thus to change). All nicely appointed, well illuminated.

I did not have any room-to-room noise (but had specifically requested to be in 2 floor bldg on 2nd floor and as well facing the inner courtyard).

The hotel has 2 restaurants (a sports bar). I only had breakfast, nothing over the top in terms of choices but a reasonable selection.

This is a solid choice. The valley sadly has a huge number of disappointing properties considering the worldwide draw and thankfully Marriott works to hold their image here.

1  Thank roadwarrior30
Tim H, General Manager at Santa Clara Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thank you for your great feedback from your recent stay. The Silicon Valley has serveral hotel brand options to choose from, which is why we are delighted that you chose the Santa Clara Marriott. Although we may be an older hotel compared to some, we've got great bones and definitley put our best foot forward to make your stay exceptional. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to having you stay with us in the near future.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

This is very solid Marriott, with good quality rooms, very good staff, good workout facilities and pool, and a small but well run concierge room. I have stayed here 5 times over the last 2 years, and while I like the rooms and the staff, the restaurant in the hotel is one of the best hotel restaurants I have been at. The breakfast buffet is outstanding, with some really fine and creative additions to the standard fare. Lunch and dinner are superb - lots of local ingredients, thoughtful selection of very finely done dishes, and great waitstaff. In the area, this is one of my favorite hotels. The restaurant wins my favorite place to eat, hands-down.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelingGuy03049

Thank you for your complimentary feedback and choosing us as your home away from home. It's truly appreciated and we make sure to share your feedback all the way down to our cooks. Parcel 104 is one of it's kind within Marriott that showcases our local farms with a farm fresh Amercian Fare cuisine. The flavors in each dish from lunch to dinner to appetizers or desserts are wonderful on the palate. Highly recommended to anyone visiting the Silicon Valley and looking for a great spot to dine at anytime of the day. We look forward to your next visit and hope that we'll see you more often.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

My recent stay at this hotel was for 3 nights, and I would recommend the hotel to any business traveler looking for a hotel in a good location with tech companies surrounding the area. The staff was very helpful, and the hotel seems to be in good shape. There were two things that I had an issue with, and they are minor. 1. the room that I had was bathroom space challenged. by that I mean you really had to compete with the bathroom door to do anything in the bathroom, since it seemed really tight. 2. the concierge breakfast in the morning could use a little work on the selections and amenities that it provides.

Room Tip: My only complaint was the bathroom was too small, you may ask them about this at check in
1  Thank Jim L

Thank you for your great feedback, It's truly valued and appreciated. We want to make sure that each guest has an exceptional experience and provide comfort, convenience and ease. Sometimes we do have challenges that are out of our immediate control, but are working to fix these for our future guests. We're looking forward to making modifications to our guestroom bathrooms to create more space and enhance your overall experience in the near future. Our concierge breakfast has a pretty good selection of items, however we will always look into suggestions to see if we can accomodate. Thank you again, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

For those looking for a great hotel, closely situated to San Jose airport, CA and who value a quality hotel that exudes excellent customer service, I'd highly recommend this hotel. The hotel and restaurant staff are friendly, eager to serve and a pleasure to be around. Suitable for corporate events and seminars. Rooms are comfortable, clean and airy. Guests amenities include: gym, Jacuzzi and an outdoor pool as well as a bar, 2 restaurants and a Starbucks café. Business amenities available. Taxi from airport to hotel each way approximately $25.

1  Thank JanetMueller1

Thank you for your excellent feedback on your most recent stay! Your comments are important to us, which help us gage the direction the hotel is going with our customers. We take pride in delivering excellent customer service and providing a clean, friendly and enjoyable environement to our guests and local visitors. This location is truly right on the mark if you wish to stay in Silicon Valley, and offers well rounded amenities for every guest.
Thanks again, and we'll see you in the near future.