“Friendly staff, basic Marriott, but the walls are too thin”

Santa Clara Marriott
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This hotel has friendly staff that make your stay pleasant. Its location is close to many tech companies and so the clientele is mostly computer guys. The men who work in Champions SportBar are awesome--friendly, efficient, and personable.

The hotel is a maze inside of it to find the rooms, which are fairly standard (white linens, comfortable beds, lots of pillows). Bath and Body toiletries are in the bathrooms.

My biggest complaint about this hotel is the walls are really thin. The guy in the room next to us sounded like he was trying to hack up a furball. Conversations outside the hotel could be heard through the exterior wall and glass, even over the running A/C. Better sound-proofing would make this place a better place to sleep and stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Santa Clara Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Thank you for providing the feedback on your stay. I truly appreciate your comments regarding our staff, location and your expeience in our Sports Bar & Grill, Characters, I will be sure to share the the positive comments. I will also discuss your comments with our engineering department regarding the noise from the adjoining rooms; we will check the area and see if any additional sound proofing is needed.
Thank you for staying with us, we appreciate it!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

The room was excellent. Comfortable bed, very clean, and spacious. Pool area was very nice. Cushioned chaise loungers chairs by the heated pool. Food and drinks were delivered to the pool area via ordering by iPad or phone. Very nice touch.

The staff at the hotel was very hospitable. Giving a consistent experience. Very well done.

1  Thank sunandsandseeker13
Tim H, General Manager at Santa Clara Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

First, thank you for staying with us, we know you have many choices and appreciate your loyalty. Second, thank you for your comments regarding our staff, we have the best associates in the hotel industry and are very proud of them. I will be excited to share your comments.
Thanks again and I hope to see you soon. All the best!

Reviewed September 15, 2013

From check-in to check-out our the Santa Clara Marriott was hospitable and professional. I requested for extra towels and pillows and within five minutes they were delivered and the Front Desk called to confirm we had received our towels and pillows. The property is beautiful, nice large pool and very clean rooms. When we checked out housekeeping left a personalized card thanking us for our stay and wishing us safe travels back home. We ordered a taxi to take us to the airport. When we checked-out the taxi hadn't arrived yet, the hotel staff took care of it right away and offered us coffee and told us we could sit and relax and they would let us know when the taxi had arrived. All I can say is this hotel is well staffed. I will stay here again whenever my travels take me to the San Jose area!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have patios with tables and nice views of the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SnowBunny83

Thank you for the positive comments regarding your recent stay with us. Our associates pride themselves on providing each guest with a memorable experience and I will defintiely share your comments with them. I would also like to personally thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed September 11, 2013

+ Big rooms, comfy bed/pillow, ample parking space, one good restaurant, helpful staff, within-hotel Hertz counter, pool, poolside (closes at 11pm), plugged in for your devices (Digital video-in, USB, VGA, S-Video, RCA red white & yellow plus 3.5mm audio jack)

- No fridge -- seriously?!, no in-room safe, no slippers, no liquid bodywash (shampoo, conditioner, lotion and bar of soap provided), paid internet (Marriott customs), coffee maker that makes you want to have a real drink...

Stayed here for a few weeks during a trip, it isn't stylish by all means, the decor shows its age, however the amenities and staff are perfectly fine. The bed is comfy and so are the pillows. With many parking spaces, it's a relatively large hotel which makes it easy to get lost. Restaurant Parcel 104 is good and the sports bar is good enough. Location is by no means excellent unless your sole purpose is to visit Great America. Opposite to IHOP and Bennigans but that's about it. Rooms are totally fine but deduct marks for not having a fridge nor a safe. Overpriced.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your positive comments regarding our staff, restaurant, pool and wireless capabilities; we truly appreciate them. I also appreciate your input regarding the refrigerator and in-room safe. We have complimentary refrigerators available and will note that on your profile so it is in your room next time you visit; in-room safes are going to be installed in 2014/2015.
Once again, thank you for your comments!

Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is a very nice Marriott. Checking in the lady was very pleasant enough but not very genuine. My room was small but the bed was great. The room looked clean at the surface but looking deeper it wasn't as clean as I would like. There are a couple of bars which was great for after dinner. The fitness room was good. Two separate rooms - one for cardio and one for weights. There was a 12 lb missing but they had medicine balls and rubber bands and other things. It was fine for a quick lift. I needed an ice pack for my arm and the front desk gave it to me free. Nice. There was a Hertz rental car right there in the lobby which was super convenient for us. For breakfast, I ordered a veggie egg-white omelet with fruit. They did a great job delivering a specialty omelette and they followed up with a phone call to make sure it was OK. Overall, a good stay and nice hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Tim H, General Manager at Santa Clara Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay. Our fitness rooms have become pretty popular amongst our frequent guests and it's important to us to provide a great location for excercise and well being. Having a Hertz desk on-site is definetley a great convenience for the business traveler, especially for any last minute needs. I'm glad that you had the opportunity to try one of our delicious breakfast omelets; I hope that you will be able to have the chance to dine with us for lunch or dinner in the near future. Your comments will be shared with our team, again, thank you for staying at the Santa Clara Marriott.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed here a couple of nights for a conference at the hotel. The check-in was very nice--very Asian and quite formal. The woman offered me free parking because I was..., well I guess because I was nice to her.

The Internet coverage was very good which is one of my top requiremetns for a hotel. Happy connections make me a happy customer.

They had one of their restaurants open for Rewards members for breakfast and it was top notch. Nice buffet and good orange juice, anoher one of my requirements.

The grounds were quite lovely and I was there on a beautiful summer night, so the whole experience was very good. The room was nothing special, but clean and above average bedding.

1  Thank Medas2005
Tim H, General Manager at Santa Clara Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thank you for your positive feedback on our high speed internet CAT6, hotel grounds and overall stay. It's important to us to provide an exceptional level of hospitality, cleanliness and service to our guests; making their stay more enjoyable. Thank you for choosing Marriott and making us your home away from home.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I'll start out by saying this Marriott hotel treats its Marriott Rewards members very nicely. We were warmly greeted and given complimentary bottled water upon our arrival. The staff in general were all very friendly. The room was clean, as was the bathroom. The lobby looked well maintained, and there is a Starbucks inside the hotel.

We had the good fortune of a first-floor room with patio access to the pool area. Only drawback to that was that the pool was very busy non-stop, due largely in part to the lovely weather and its proximity to Great America, and it was not accessible after a certain time (we tried at 10:45pm for a quick dip in the hot tub), though the hours stated it was open until 11pm.

The wi-fi was a little on the expensive side (I opted for high-speed at $12.99), but unlike so many hotels, it was reliable. Another nice thing about this hotel was that it was pretty quiet. Couldn't hear other guests' showers or noise.

A warning for those visiting that area of Santa Clara, though - it can get a little smelly in the afternoon from the sewage and garbage plants nearby. I don't consider that Marriott's fault.

Overall a nice visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Tim H, General Manager at Santa Clara Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thank you for the positive comments regarding your recent stay, we value your feedback and appreciate the comments. I was especially pleased to hear your recognition of the Marriott Reward program. As you know, the Marriott Reward program is rated number one in its category each year and each year we make it better. I would also like to thank you for recognizing our staff and the cleanliness of our hotel, we take great pride in our service and product and will be excited to share your comments. I am not aware of any sewage or garbage plants anywhere near our hotel, but will get with the City to see if there was some unique occurrence during your stay.
Thank you for staying with us and I hope to see you again!