“Old, but among the best SV options”

Santa Clara Marriott
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
Phoenix, Arizona
“Old, but among the best SV options”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel literally hundreds of times over the years, on my weekly trips to Silicon Valley. It is my top pick for SV stays (with the Hilton #2 and the Hyatt #3). It is old, some parts of it need updating, but it provides a consistent "Marriott experience," which for a business traveler has advantages.

Pro's over my #2 and #3 picks:

Better food. Parcel 104 is good enough for foodies, and the sports bar is good, quick and typically not crowded. Room service is, well, it's room service in a business hotel, but it's usually better than room service at the Hilton, and is more consistent than the other two.

Better Internet. More reliable WiFi, faster, fewer dropped connections. The Hilton's WiFi is very unreliable.

Better service. The few times I have needed non-standard help, e.g., a forgotten item or an emergency fax, the Marriott staff has shined vs. the other two. The on-site UPS store has come in handy a few times as well. Unfortunately, the Marriott recently downgraded the on-site store to a closet, so if you forget toothpaste you have an easier time buying at the Hyatt vs. the Marriott or Hilton (actually, at the Hyatt you wouldn't need to buy it, since it comes free in the room).

More upgrades. I am the top level in both the Marriott and Hilton frequent traveler programs; I almost always get a free upgrade at the Marriott and almost never do at the Hilton. If this sort of thing matters to you, the Marriott is better.

Con's vs. the other two:

Parking: it's the only one of the three that charges ($9 a day), and if it is raining you have no choice but to get wet walking to the hotel. The Hilton has much better parking (free, closer, especially if you park in the back), the Hyatt does not (if you don't get one of the few spots out front, you are stuck parking in the convention lot and then you have a long walk to get into the hotel).

Room: the Hyatt has the best rooms of the three, but the Marriott rooms are fine, other than the bathrooms, which are small and old, especially compared to the Hilton. The Hyatt also has small bathrooms, but there were upgraded substantially when the property changed, a few years ago, from a Westin to a Hyatt.

Bottom line: all three are good choices for a business traveler. With a family I would probably pick the Hilton (bigger rooms). For sports, the Hyatt now definitely wins, with the new Giants stadium being built in the hotel's back yard.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank 218SR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed here for a conference in early December. The front desk was very helpful and would gladly give them a high rating. It happened to be my wife and I's anniversary and they upgraded us from a standard room and also gave a token anniversary card and chocolate strawberries. We stayed in the courtyard parlour suite and overall the sleep quality and the room was above average, though it wasn't very well sound proofed from noises from outside the room. I would say this is mainly a business hotel but has good access to malls and eateries within walking distance or using public transport.

Room Tip: If you want to stay away from the towers, ask for a courtyard room.
santa clara, california
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My daughter was getting married and she needed a hotel that would accommodate all her guests coming from out-of-town as well as a room with an area that would accommodate her bridesmaids getting hair and makeup done. The hotel bent over backwards to give my daughter all the room, the leeway, little extras that made her day as stress-LESS as can be. COLLEEN helped my daughter make arrangements for the special accommodations and included a few extras that were simply outstanding and helped out so much. I could not be happier. Everybody from COLLEEN to the valets to the people in Starbucks, everything was exceptional. If you are in need of great accommodations, wonderful prices for a beautiful hotel, this is your place of choice.

Room Tip: This hotel is close to the convention center and is used for that purpose but is also close to Great...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This hotel seems to serve two purposes - one to handle business guests visiting the Convention Center or local Silicon Valley tech companies; the second to act as a local hotel for Great America Amusement Park. This leads to an interesting conflict of guest requirements ..

That said, this visit was in December, so the hotel was full of business guests. First the positives -

1. It's easy to get to , being right off 101 - about 30 miles south of SFO airport.
2. There is plenty of parking , although it may cost you $9 a day.
3. The internet is very fast - although it may cost you $12.95 a day.
4. The food at both the premium restaurant Parcel 104 and the Sports Bar is very good - but it will cost you many many $$.
5. The food and service in the Concierge lounge is one of the best in the Marriott chain.
6. There is a Hertz and UPS outlet in-hotel, and a movie theatre, IHOP, Starbucks and 4-5 restaurants within 5 minutes walking distance (but across a busy road).
7. My first night I received an email from the Operations Manager asking if everything was to my satisfaction. First time that ever happened.

The negatives -

1. Almost everything comes at a price, unless you are Gold/Platinum member or negotiate it into your room rate.
2. As noted in other reviews, the front desk staff has been trained to always always try to put guests on the first or second floor in the towers (they go up 10th and 14th floors) and on the ground floor of the two-story buildings around the pool. If you have kids, the pool rooms are great, not so good for business travellers.
3. If you complain about #2, they'll grudgingly move you up a few floors. It's a pain.
4. Try to get access to the concierge lounge - great (free) breakfast in the morning and snacks/appetizers/dessert at night!

Room Tip: High floor, unless you have kids who want the pool. Concierge lounge is on 10th floor South Tower.
Yuba City, California
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I went to a conference here that began on a Monday. We checked in and had great service at the front desk. We were given ground floor and ground floors are not my preference as I was traveling alone. I like to sleep with my window open and was not able to do so for safety reasons. I didn't ask for a room above the ground floor, so that was probably my fault. BUT a family that wanted ground access would be in heaven. Adirondak chairs were outside and lots of room for kids to run and play. The room was a bit noisy as we were near the front of the hall and had people walking by the room until very late. The room itself was nice and clean, housekeeping was fabulous, and the bedding was comfortable and rich feeling. Upon checking in, there was a form for items you may have forgotten or needed.... I wanted to have extra cream for my coffee. It was delivered to my room the next day. Nice. In the lobby the staff set up a display of gingerbread houses. This was a competition between departments of the hotel and we got to vote for our favorite. I voted for the stadium.... such detailed work....
The Sports Bar was pricey as was the Parc 104 restauraunt. Very close to Great America. About mid day of our second day, I received an email from the manager hoping my stay was good. I had never had that happen before. Nice touch. I emailed him back and told him I had a good night's sleep and would I have my cream for the coffee. I found it when I got back to my room.....

Room Tip: Weekends might have lots of kids
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Just finished my second stay at SC Marriott...and it will be my last. I'll start with the positives - good food in the sports bar, great service at front desk and in sports bar. Now, the reason I will not be back. My last stay took me thru a Friday night. Many young boys stayed at the hotel that Friday night, and they ran they halls and beat on doors until late in the night. My complaints got me nowhere. It's a noisy, noisy place - don't go there if you want to sleep at night.

Phoenix
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Starting with the front desk at check-in, the service was excellent throughout my stay. All of the staff were very friendly and seemed genuinely interested in me as a customer. Overall, the hotel is nice and, although it's older, it's well maintained. The two restaurants on property were both completely full the night I wanted to dine there. For a property of this size, with only two dining options, they're both quite small. Unfortunately other good dining options in the area are pretty limited.
I didn't dislike this property but probably wouldn't stay there again if I had other comparable choices.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business