“I will return to the Plaza Suites”

The Plaza Suites Silicon Valley
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 1, 2007

My daughter, five year old grand daughter and I had booked the Embassy Suites for a few days over the 4th of July. We were very disappointed, so we drove down the street to this hotel. We were given a tour by the sales manager who offered us a such superb rate for an executive suite that we booked two! It was a full $100 less than I was paying at Embassy Suites. The amenities are much better at the Plaza Suites than at the Embassy Suites, from Happy Hour to breakfast. And the pool area in the courtyard is wonderful for kids, with a grassy area for them to play on. It could be a little more heated, but in the summer when the air was hot, it was very refreshing. The fitness room is great too. (That amenity was closed for repair when we visited Embassy Suites). The room service was prompt and front desk and housekeepers were very nice. Since they are not a chain, I think they go that extra mile for their customers. I will go back.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed July 14, 2007

My family recently had a pleasant stay at this hotel - we got the Great America package so with the very nice breakfast and tickets to the park it was a great value.

We were allowed to check in early and the staff was helpful with directions - the room was nice and the pool was warm and clean - we had a room right by the pool and had no issues with any noise from other people. The only complaint was from my children who said the pull out sofa was a little uncomfortable - but they said the breakfast and pool made up for it. We will stay there again.

Reviewed July 7, 2007

Our small suite was less than 150' from eight lanes of US 101. That's right we were right on top of the freeway. Because my wife must use a wheelchair the staff told me rudly, "They built the hotel so all the handicapped rooms face the freeway". This was easily the nosiest room we have ever stayed in. We left the a/c on all night in an effort to drown out some of the noise, although it didn't do anything to stop the room shaking when big trucks went by. There was mold in at least 3 spots in the shower. There were several permenant stains on the counter top and bathroom floor. The room had that musty chemical odor that housekeeping was there, its just that they couldn't fix a room that sorly needs renovation. Our phone didn't work in our room and the hotel could not fix it. This hotel packs in kids sports teams on the weekends. Lots of kids running around. There were dads drinking beer in the hot tub while their kids were starting a fight with rival kids in the nearby pool. That wasn't the hotels fault, but the hotel staff did nothing to get the dads to control their kids. The hotel staff did not stop kids/adults who left the pool driping wet ran past the hotel staff in the lobby and continued to drip dry on the elevator. Others in our group said the hotel was just "OK". Most thought the complimentary breakfast was the best feature of the hotel. This was our last stay at this hotel. There are many other hotels nearby including an Embassy Suite just down the road.

3  Thank hughwho
Reviewed May 16, 2007

As a frequent business travel to this area I have stayed at a lot of hotels over the years. I prefer Hilton because of my status but I made a frugal choice and chose the Plaza Suites this time and in the interest of full disclosure my favorite is Embassy Suites on the same street has the Plaza Suites so I am comparing this place to it.

Suites - About the same as standard Embassy suites but I did like the mini-bar and the Plaza does not totally rip you off like most big hotel chains.

Housekeeping - I like them.. they actually read my obnoxious notes telling them to never leave me decaf coffee and leave extra regular. Don't worry I take care of them.. $$$

Fitness Center - 100% better than Embassy but I still used Golds Gym which is only a couple miles away.

Breakfast - Free just like Embassy - its a little cramped in the ordering area but its a good deal and the food is not too bad for the price.. Free...

Front Desk Staff - I didn't interact with them too much at all but they seem miserable with the exception of 1 that I saw working over the couple weeks. The Embassy suites staff seem to go out their way to say hello and be generally pleasant and I really didn't think too much about that but I guess I missed that.

The parking is not great but they do have an open 3 level garage and is it just me or do the spots around the hotel seem very cramped.

With that all said for the xtra dollars I would probably go back to the Embassy Suites but may give this place another try..

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank NHLBoston
A TripAdvisor Member
Randolph NJ
Reviewed July 2, 2006

A comfortable hotel with lots of amenities. The cooked-to-order breakfast is great--lone the once-over-easy eggs. Such a pleasant change from the usual continental breakfasts usually found at a hotel at this price.Attractive property,conveniently located for Silicon Valley business travelers. Nice pool. Free drinks and popcorn during Happy Hour. However, I miss the free hors d'oeuvre they used to serve at Happy Hour before they put in the restaurant. Clean,comfortable, "homey" rooms. A great overall value!

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Berkeley, CA
Reviewed August 27, 2005

Let me start by saying that we are the pretty relaxed types and don't usually find too many problems when we stay in hotels. "Suites" were very cramped. When the sofa bed was pulled out there wasn't room to move around at all (furniture was all pushed together to make space for the pull out). The pool was FREEZING. I don't think they heat it at all. The "cook to order" breakfast was non existent and the chef behind the counter wouldn't take any orders.

Stayed: August 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 21, 2005

A wonderfully comfortable bed, with fluffy pillows "just like home!" helped make this stay a pleasure, as did the smiling, professional staff. The rooms were immaculate and fresh. There was something for everyone to enjoy at breakfast, from cereal and muffins to sausage and eggs for carb-watchers, with good coffee, too. There is a parking structure on site and paved sidewalks in the area to get out for a walk. Definitely would return for another stay.

Stayed: August 2005