“Our 2nd stay here” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Our 2nd stay here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

We choose to stay here again because we enjoyed our last stay so much! So I booked this hotel for both my family and my parents. The parking is free and breakfast was free. But the wi-fi was not free on this trip (it was complimentary on our previous trip in Sept). Also, the complimentary toiletries were awful. Soap was gross leaving your skin dry as did the shampoo (dry hair). I knew I should have packed my own toiletries!!! Overall, decent hotel and the staff was super friendly. Not sure if I'll stay for the 3rd time, if we're in the Bay Area again. They would need to upgrade to free wi-fi, and change their toiletry vendor.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Sugarcane77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Anaheim, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

Plaza Suites is a great place to find single and double suites in the Santa Clara area. It's easy on-off the 101 freeway. The suites have two televisions; one in the bedroom and one in the sitting room. They serve a full breakfast (included in stay) in the morning with plenty of coffee, juices, eggs, etc. On weekdays, we found out that you could order omelettes using a form in the breakfast area; unfortunately, this is not available on the weekends. When you check in, each person gets a coupon for a free drink (well drinks, etc) for each day of the stay that is good from 5- 7 PM.
The parking may be difficult on some occasions; we had trouble finding a spot on a Saturday night and did not want to park on the street and walk a long way,
The pool and spa are a great addition.
The price is actually comparable or less than other area hotels including places we've stayed previously in the area.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the pool side or higher up; they seem to be quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Marina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Plaza suites is one to call first if I needed to getaway for the weekend. I came back to this hotel because of the cozy, comfortable and make you feel at home experience. The hot breakfast buffet is no comparison to other hotels I experienced for the value I paid for. Beds are so comfortable and rooms are super clean. The staff has always been helpful, professional, super nice and always with a smile which give me reasons why I come back here.
Overall, my experience at the suite was worth it, and will definitely come back for more future visits.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Virginia Beach, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

First I must apologize for the extra-long review. But there’s just so much about Plaza Suites (PS) that’s worth sharing.

I stayed here for a week, end of June, beginning of July. I must say: I was so comfortable at this hotel. I’m a card-carrying member of Marriott, and the last time I stayed in Santa Clara, of course that’s where I booked a room. But I used Expedia to get a deal on a package (flight, hotel, car), and that brought the price down at PS quite a lot. So I booked a suite feeling terribly risky, and I am so glad that I did.

What I liked:

1. A SUITE at a hotel room price. I mean I had two rooms all to myself. Two big-screen TVs.
2. Because I’m a woman traveling alone, it was nice to not only bolt the entrance door (two bolts), but I had a lock on my bedroom door too. Made me sleep better.
3. Big counter in the bathroom area and two, counter-long shelves beneath that for storage.
4. Frig and microwave—I used them both and was really glad I could heat up leftovers from restaurant meals. Saved me money, and I was often too tired at night to go out anyway.
5. IPod docking station next to my bed.
6. Electrical outlets attached to all the table lamps (3)—easy to plug in my four chargers. In this tech age, this is a must.
7. Hand-held steamer (in the closet) for taking wrinkles out of my clothes. Iron and board too.
8. Fresh flowers delivered in a vase to my room twice during my week-long stay.
9. Quiet hotel.
10. The frig and microwave are encased in a beautiful sideboard in the living room area. You don’t see them, and the top of the sideboard is long and just perfect to throw stuff on like my purse and phone and whatever else I need to bring with me in the morning. I used it as a nightly staging area.
11. Big desk. I was able to do a lot of my office work at night.
12. Lush comforter on both beds. Many pillows, decorative and for sleeping.
13. Extra blankets and pillow in the closet. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve arrived in a hotel, exhausted from travel, and had to wait for a hotel person to bring me these items. And many times they never came.
14. Bedbug encasement around the box spring. I saw no evidence of pests (and I check!), but it sure was nice to see that the hotel was proactive about this. Extra blanket and pillow were protected in plastic too.
15. Jacuzzi, though I was too exhausted at night to use it.
16. Three free house drinks from the bar every night. I am not kidding. They give you coupons when you check in.
17. Near freeways. Nice business park. I walked every morning at 5:30 and felt very safe.
18. Really friendly people waiting on me everywhere. The front desk staff was especially pleasant. God bless them all.
19. Front desk staff took good care of my luggage, which had to be delivered by airport personnel.
20. I was so comfortable at PS that I actually looked forward to returning every night to my little oasis, where I flipped on the TV, put my feet on the coffee table, and listened to the happy sounds of children playing in the pool in the courtyard.
21. Business office was well stocked with paper/ink in the printer. Made it easy to print my boarding pass.
22. This sounds small, I suppose, but the elevator door is always open at the lobby level. So you walk right in and up you go. Because I had to do this so many times over the seven days I was there, it was nice not to have to wait for the elevator.
23. I save the best for last: PS’s complimentary buffet breakfast is stupendous. I looked forward to this more than anything. Big buffet, multiple hot items, and a friendly fry-order cook behind the counter who took special orders every morning. There’s a featured hot special every day that he’ll fix for you too, and that’s besides all the eggs and meat and pancakes and whatever warming on the buffet. But most of all I liked the presentation: cloth-covered tables in the dining room with flowers, overlooking the garden/pool area. I just loved breakfast at PS! Loved the selection. Loved the quiet, cozy dining room.

What I didn’t like:

1. They charge $5.99 per day for Internet. Bring your hotspot device.
2. Be sure to ask for a room facing away from the freeway. It’s right next door and it can be noisy.
3. One night I returned to my room and discovered that there was only one tissue in the box attached to the bathroom counter. I called the front desk, and the gentleman there promised to send a box right away. It never came.
4. I stayed on the 6th floor because I wanted to be able to open my windows at night for fresh air. The windows do not open.
5. Carpets on 6th floor hallways have some pretty nasty stains, which bring down the overall feel of the place. This is really obvious to anyone. Tsk tsk to management. You can do better. Lobby is cleaned up though.
6. PS is very different on a weeknight vs a weekend evening. Getting my free drink at the bar on Mon-Thur was a breeze. I didn’t have to wait. But my oh my, by Friday night it was like all of the Bay Area had squeezed into the bar. I had to wait a very long time to redeem my drink coupon. The lobby was hopping too. I definitely like PS better Mon-Thur than weekends.
7. This place is so popular with families that even if I’d had the energy to use the Jacuzzi, likely I would not have done so. The kids like it too. When I went to check it out on my first day in Santa Clara, it was cloudy and dotted with leaves (nearby garden) from children who had hopped in and out all afternoon. It just wasn’t appealing. The Jacuzzi experience is supposed to relax you … can’t do that with 20 kids in the nearby pool and five to seven kids in the Jacuzzi. Oh well.

Would I return to PS? Absolutely.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the freeway. El Torito two doors down serves excellent Mexican fo...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Carmel, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

This is a first class hotel right in the heart of Santa Clara. Rooms are clean, beds super comfy, amenities are great. Pool/spa area is very welcoming. They offer a killer complimentary breakfast that would easily be $15. Plus free happy hour drinks. Well worth the price!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank heidibach2014
Colleyville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

Great place to stay, wonderful people and excellent service. Employees are very friendly and always helpful. It was a wonderful experience. I travel for work and have stayed in few places and this was first time at Plaza, since I am picky about my stay I was nervous but totally changed my opinion.
Thank you all!!

• Stayed June 2014
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

Stayed here for a week for a training class I was taking in Santa Clara, the hotel is very nice and clean, the people are very friendly. The cleaning people that clean the room pay special attention to getting the room so nice and clean. Enjoyed the stay. Highly recommended....

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business