“Terrific Weekend Indulgence!”

Hyatt Regency Santa Clara
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 15, 2008

My eight-year old son and I were spending a special weekend at amusement parks in the San Jose area. We needed to book a hotel, and preferred something that would enable us to avoid additional parking costs at the amusement park.

The Hyatt Regency was a perfect location since it is a 5-minute walk from the gate of Great America and offers free parking. This was useful especially in the middle of the day when we wanted to go back and relax, away from the heat and crowds, and then return in the evening. The next day, we had a short 25-minute drive to Raging Waters in San Jose.

The Regnecy would seem a little high-end for a mom-and-son weekend. But we got a low weekend rate (first sighted on kayak.com, but then I booked directly with the hotel.)

The accomodations were wonderful. There was a mix of business travelers, wedding guests, amusement part tourists, and passersby. We were all loving the place. The service is helpful about everything without being intrusive. The lobby, though corporate, is not too snooty for a family hanging on the weekend. The room was clean, spacious, comfortable, and had everything we needed. Most surprisingly, the hotel restaurants were priced on the high-end, but not the price-gouging of usual hotel restaurants.

One evening we ate out on the patio, near the pool, underneath palm trees. My son ordered from the sushi bar, I ordered a cocktail from the bar, and an entree from the Tresca restaurant. No one made an issue that we ordered from three different registers. We had breakfast in the Tresca -- avoided the high-priced buffet, and took advantage of the low-priced kids meal.

One evening, we ordered room service for just an extra $2 over menu prices. NOt bad, and a great indulgence for a special weekend.

We highly recommend the Hyatt for its service, convenience, and reasonable weekend rate for a high-end hotel. +

• Stayed: July 2008
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Santa Clara

Reviewed July 11, 2008

The hotel was lovely, check in was a breeze and the staff was courteous and the bellman was highly attentive. The decor was quite nice and all the bars and restaurants were quick to serve.

The rooms were also lovely although a bit small, I think for two people the room size is fine. Additionally the bathroom had two fogged-glass pocket sliding doors which remove almost all privacy from the bathroom. This makes certain necessary bathroom "functions" almost impossible unless you are a solo traveler. I was with my finace and his daughter and while we are pretty close family, I don't think anyone is really that close : - )

We had a double room which was appointed with two double (not queen) beds . So I don't recommended for families with two adults plus children...unless you have one child. You could possibly get a King room and a roll away. We were very cramped when we went to bed. Fortunately it was just for one night.

Again, this hotel was lovely and the bathroom though lacking privacy was beautiful. The staff was great and the restaurant and bar were too. The drawbacks were the room size and lack bathroom privacy.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2008

We have stayed here twice over extended weekends in March and July, 2008, and have had a great experience both times. True, they don't have free internet (it's $10 a day for hi speed WiFi) or free breakfast and restaurant / room service meals are pricey. But their rooms and beds are nice, and we found their staff (front desk, housekeeping, lobby doormen) to be very gracious and accommodating.

For example, we got this through Priceline where the hotel can charge extra for more than two occupants. But the reception clerk Crystal cheerfully arranged a free rollaway bed for our daughter who decided to join us. Though only king beds were available in non-smoking rooms at our time of check-in the reception clerk also kept track of our preference for a non-smoking double-bed that was available on the following day. She personally called us the next morning when they could switch us.

They also have a spacious and well-equipped 24-hour accessible gym. I used their decent (outdoor) pool and hot tub, and was pleasantly surprised to see their smiling staff come over and serve complementary cut watermelons to all the guests there.

After our first stay my wife had a marked preference for this hotel, and this has been reinforced after our second stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2008

I booked into the Hyatt through priceline at a fantastic rate (so fantastic I booked a couple more nights for the following week). The hotel is definitely 4-stars which you can't say about several of the other properties in that class nearby...

The lobby and common areas don't have a ton to offer versus a typical resort Hyatt but they aren’t lacking either. There's a bar open late nights, a couple of restaurants and a nice pool complete with cabanas. The hotel gym appears to have been upgraded and is really a major selling point for anyone who travels a lot… complete with 6 treadmills, a couple of bikes, two benches, free weights, 1 machine for each major muscle group, some ab balls and mats, cold towels, water and changing rooms it’s not a full fitness center but it’s nice. There's also wireless access throughout the lobby and other areas [for a fee], airport check-in kiosks and a small gift shop that closes early.

The rooms on the other hand resemble a room found in just about any high-end Hyatt property. Furniture includes large king beds, a 42" plasma tv, a desk chair, long desk, lounge chair and a few other assorted items. The rooms are all built ultra-modern so there's a lot of free space but this also makes you have to search around for some of the normal items. For the business traveler they have power ports in all the right places (desk, bedside, bathroom) and for everyone there's a small mini-fridge in each room plus a free safe lockbox.

The property is located near the convention center and Great America theme park so it's ideal for visiting both. If you're just trying to stay in the San Jose area, you'll find that you're a ways away from anything major (the nearest major grocery store is 2 miles) besides office buildings. If you're visiting the area definitely bring or rent a car if you plan to leave the hotel.

The only real drawback of the place is that they charge for internet at the rate of $9.95 / night (tmobile wireless access so existing customers get it free). Why hotels still do this I don't understand but compared to most 4-star hotels in the area which charge for parking as well, I suppose this is just part of the cost.

All said the Hyatt is far nicer than the downtown Double Tree where I’ve stayed and felt better than the Hilton next door which I walked through on the same visit. Given the amount of business travelers that come here you can find some interesting deals on the weekends and even holidays that make it a killer deal but as with all Hyatt’s, the service is still just as good.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2008

I don't often stay at 4* rated hotels, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Overall, I was very pleased with my stay. It seems like a lot of things were recently renovated. The room was very clean with an interesting modern style, and I had a nice view of the hills east of San Jose. The chairs were not very comfortable, though... including the awful desk chair. The room had a nice LCD TV, but I don't know why hotels upgrade to these and then don't offer HD channels? Also, there's no need to charge for internet anymore. This is Silicon Valley - $10/night is unacceptable.

The rest of the amenities were great. A really nice gym, multiple food options within the hotel (regular restaurant and sushi bar), the service was always friendly, and parking was never a problem.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed June 21, 2008

This was a recommended hotel for some training I was doing. Breakfast wasn't included, internet was $10 for only 24 hrs. The first night they didn't clean my room, the second night the maid threw away (or took, I'm not sure) my toiletries (shampoo, conditioner etc.) and replaced the coffee packets with all decaf. Parking in the front is limited and parking in the structure in the back is a bit of a walk into the actual hotel. When I checked in they said they were upgrading me to a nicer room with a "golf course view". The room overlooked the parking garage and on the far side of that you could see the driving range of the golf course. This is hardly what I would consider "golf course view." The location was close to many large companies in the area and the airport but not very close to good restaurants. The gym was pretty decent for a hotel gym. Overall I was very disappointed in my stay and have had much better experiences at cheaper hotels with fewer stars.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank OrangeTX
Reviewed June 13, 2008

I've stayed at this property back when it was a Westin hotel but it's changed over to Hyatt.
My past experience was that I really enjoyed the property, good location, professional staff and clean.
I'm sorry to say much of that has changed.

The number one issue is they are building a large addition to the convention center that is connected to the property and when you call as I did to book the room their was no mention made of the ongoing construction. It would almost be impossible to be outside next to the pool with the steel going up within feet of where you're trying to relax, I've included a picture.
The other issue was the room was missing shampoo, remote for T.V. and the balcony was filthy....see photo.
The only positive was the warm weather and the staff were very nice and attentive.
I sent a comment card to the management but to date I haven't heard a thing.
You might check out the Hilton across the street.

Happy Trails,

HYATT House Santa Clara
HYATT House Santa Clara
#2 of 32 in Santa Clara
HYATT House San Jose/Silicon Valley

Been to Hyatt Regency Santa Clara? Share your experiences!