“Dirty, worn & expensive”

Hyatt Regency Santa Clara
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
MD
“Dirty, worn & expensive”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I travel to the bay area and silicon valley for work regularly and had the misfortune of having to stay at this place. I had stayed once in the past for a conference, and it was ok for your generic mega-conference hotel. But in the year since, it's gone downhill even more. First off, the place is DIRTY. One of my coworkers went through 3 rooms... the first had hair IN THE SHEETS, the second had parts of the room literally falling apart (mini bar door fell off when you opened it, among other things and the TV didn't work), another coworker found DIRTY UNDERWEAR in their room. WTF??? My room was just kinda shabby in general, the bathtub drain didn't work unless you propped something like a bar of soap in it to keep the drain lid open. Then there's the hotel bar.... horrible service, their draft beer system was broken the whole week, and they didn't have the same stuff from night to night. Ordered something I had the night before and was told it was only for the previous night. Huh? Then my coworker ordered some food and again found hairs in the food. We had breakfast each morning for our group, I'm pretty sure it was powdered eggs and some of the sausage was raw in the middle. Needless to say I ate out after that. Then, to top it off, one of my coworkers goes to get her car from the valet, gives him her ticket, then some other guy comes out (who I'm assuming is a big tipper), and the valet tells my coworker that he's going to go get the other guy's car first, with no explanation, and he's the only valet guy for a 1000 room hotel. All of this for only $289 a night! Go stay at a non-dump like the Fairmont or Hotel Valencia for $100 less, you'll thank me.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RockfishHunter
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Santa Clara, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear RockfishHunter:

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Santa Clara. We're sorry to learn of your experience while you were our guest. This is not typical of the Hyatt experience our guests should expect while staying with us. Our Management members are aware of these issues, and are doing everything they can to assure practices are in place to correct these. We hope you'll give us a second chance to host you for a true Hyatt experience with us.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Mateo, California
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is pretty nice hotel to stay a for big events and conventions. I have gone here (with my family) many times for various things and it has some great convention facilities that are connected with the hotel. Some of the space is in the hotel and some of it is in the Santa Clara Convention Center. The rooms are pretty spacious and have all the mid-to-upscale amenities - big flat panel, mini frig, coffee maker, etc. They have an interesting motif for the decorating (a pastel blue color scheme), which I don't particularly care for. The bathrooms have these interesting sliding doors, which I don't care for either. The fitness facility is nice and has plenty of machines (it's usually not full). The pool is decent-sized and the pool area is a nice spot to hang out with the family (the hot tub is nice also). The restaurant is really over-priced so I don't usually go there. However, the bar/lobby area has good food and desserts in a casual atmosphere and the prices are actually pretty good.

As others have mentioned, the parking can be a bit of a bear because there are not many spots in front of the hotel. However, there is an entire parking structure behind the hotel. You will find a spot, but just may have to walk a little bit.

Room Tip: During conventions where there are a lot of people, we always ask for the 3rd floor so it increases...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I'm a loyal Hyatt customer (Diamond level). After reading the reviews, I was excited to stay at this hotel. Check in was fine - standard delivery. The room was ok - standard business hotel. It was clean and that's all I hope for. I was here for a conference, which ended earlier today. I decided to go down to the main bar/lounge area for a light dinner and beverage. I sat down at the bar -- it wasn't at all packed. I was there 15 minutes (5 bartenders on) and not one came over. I had to hail someone to serve me. I knew that the Sushi bar was under renovation, but they still had items to offer. The server did not even share that menu. After reading the other reviews about the great service, needless to say, I was underwhelmed. The food was so-so. Would I recommend eating here? No. Earlier, I had stopped in the Regency Club. No one was there to greet people -- an extremely cold environment. I guess I'm too used to the resort Hyatts and have to scale down my expectations.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Genf
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Rooms are Hyatt standard quality so nothing to complain about - you know what you get. The gym is great they are kind of a test hotel for a new series of cardio equipment technology (if I got that right), true fun! Service was super friendly and fast! But the self parking is a desaster, for a hotel of that size the math is clear that rooms don't equal at all the available parking. Had a tough time finding a slot in the quite far too walk parking garage the hotel offers free.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was at the Hyatt for yet another ARM Techcon. This year, the WiFi coverage was better than the past years, and you could purchase for up to 120 hours. The fact that WiFi is not complimentary for every guest is reproachable, though. One hint: if you do not have Hyatt Gold Passport, enlist for one as soon as you check in. All internet expenses are complimentary for Gold Passport members. That is a U$60 check.
The worst thing in the room is the TV. It was a very old TV, with a locked entertainment system. I had to test my Apple TV for the conferences I was going to present, and the TV was so old that the VGA resolution from the HDMI-to-VGA adapter was too high for the room TV. I ended up no being able to test it.
Overall, the hotel is above average for business hotels, and the service is very good.

- Jonny

Room Tip: Enlist for Hyatt Gold Passport program when you check in. Call the front desk before booking, and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
San Clemente, CA
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Was attending a professional meeting and found the room amenities comfortable and up to date, the out door pool area looked inviting, the lobby and public areas all well lit and attractive. Service was of good quality. Taxi from the San Jose airport cost $30 with tip and took 10 minutes. Once at the hotel, you will find yourself surrounded by other large hotels, long blocks and a "business park" atmosphere--just around the corner the new 49ers football stadium is under construction.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is a nice convention type hotel that I have stayed twice recently and am going to stay at again in the future. It is not far from the airport and is also right near Great America. The rooms are nice and the beds are VERY comfortable

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple