“Showing its age”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Las Vegas
“Showing its age”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

This hotel is definitely showing its age. Upon entering the lobby, the hotel appears very upscale, but upon exiting the elevator and stepping into one of the hotel's hallways, you enter the 1990's again. But then open your door and step inside and you enter a renovated modern room.

The rooms are nice and clean, have a very small bathroom with little counter space, a small fridge and flat screen tv.

I would normally rate the Hyatt Regency 3 stars, but because of the ultra low prices, I'm bumping it up one star. I've stayed here several times, and each time I've paid around $60/nt. That is cheaper than the old motels arond Santa Clara University where I was looking to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Anejo-y-Coca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

I was in town visiting Stanford and chose this Hyatt property a little out of the way from Palo Alto, rather than a closer property. Easily accessible via the 101 and, outside of traffic, very easy to get to. My room was away from the elevator and quiet - good size overall and clean. The bathroom was mid-sized with a good shower and closing double doors.

The check-in process was quick and easy - I didn't have a chance to sample the bar in the lobby, but it was busy each night I walked through. Parking was free, but Internet was not - if you're higher than Gold status in the Hyatt program it will be free for you.

Would stay here again for my next trip.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rbakken
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

First time at this hotel. Place was clean outdoors and indoors. They have an open area bar outside the front lobby, which I thought was unique. The room was pretty clean, except for a little mold by the edge of the tub/floor. Front desk was quick to have room service bring some cups that I needed. Room has a small refrigerator, but does not get very cold. Good for keeping drinks cool. Breakfast buffett was very good (fruits, cereal/eggs/sausage..etc)

Don't link the bathroom sinks. Too high and forces you to ge gentle rinsing your face/brushing teeth because of splashing. (may be European style). Have to pay for WiFi.

Overall, pretty decent place. Would be happy to stay there again.

Santa Clara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

I have been a limo driver now for www.MySFOlimo.com for the past several years, and let me tell you there are alot of unhappy bell men at the front doors to hotels... This place on the other hand always has staff standing there with a smile ready to open the limo doors for my clients. From what my clients tell me the Hyatt here in Santa Clara has decent rooms and friendly staff, plus my clients like how its conveniently located near SFO.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
DaniaDuke, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Santa Clara, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Thank you for the kind note about our service. It's always delightful to hear that our guests enjoyed their experience with their rooms and with our staff's hospitality. Thank you for your partnership.
Warm regards,
Dania Duke - General Manager
Cambridge, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

Good hotel for business: bit out of the way for anything else.

Staff always very friendly and ready to help, and the open bar area in the lobby makes for a good social feel.

The pool isn't too small for lengths, nor too hot for actual exercise.

• Stayed January 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

I just spent 2nts at the Hyatt. The soul purpose of this property is to be convenient for those attending meetings at one of the nearby tech companies or the convention center. That is it! I highy recommend renting a car. There is no transfer shuttle from either SJC or SFO airport. I flew into SJC and it is about 10-15 min taxi drive. This cost me $28 to the hotel and $35 back to the airport! There is nothing within walking distance of the hotel - so you are stuck with the pricy hotel restaurant. I found my initial welcome warm and sincere. I checked in online so my room was ready when I arrived after 8pm. The lobby is expansive and the check-in counter is small and fashioned to be individual counters -- I guess for a more intimate experience? I can see how this is a disaster when a large convention is in house. There was a bell boy outside when my taxi pulled up -- but he did not come my way, nor was a bell service offered at checkin to get to my room. Hmmm.

Tis true with other reviews - the halls are a fascinating flash back in time. Hard to believe after transiting thru a rather lovely entry - these halls would be so out of date and in desperate need of an update. Light blue paint and taupe,pastel colored carpet -- absolutely NO adornments on the walls or guest room door areas. Felt very dated institutional. But...one does not spend much time in the halls...right? The rooms are fairly compact. I didn't mind the open closet, but it is small. There are two frosted sliding doors which close off the bathroom and across from that a large full size mirror which hid an ironing board and iron. The bathroom is small and attempts were made to put a modern spin on the design. The sink was an above counter, square with the faucet placed on the right side...not the most convenient design in my books. Lighting was not good. There is a make up mirror and this would have balanced the need for better lighting - ONLY if it was a lighted mirror - it is not. Nice little coffee maker with to go cups as well as Tazo tea. The shower was nice - but my drain was not working well and by the time my short shower was up - i was soaking my feet in 5" of water.

The heavenly bed is nice - but not as heavenly as I have had in other properties. There is thoughtful placement of power plugs next to the bed as well as on top of the desk. Nice addition of a large casual chair as well as a decent desk chair. As others have commented - the wireless access is expensive and seems petty to charge guests who pay to stay at this level of property. The pool area is expansive and I found very lovely. Variety of sitting areas around the pool and hot tub. There is bar/menu service around the pool. It was sunny and 65 and a welcome diversion during my brief work stay.

Room Tip: I forgot to specify a quiet room - but the hotel was not full. It is true that you can hear anyone i...