“Sleep well and feel like family!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Madison Street Inn

Madison Street Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Santa Clara B&B and Inns
San Jose, California
“Sleep well and feel like family!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

Stay here and you will feel like a part of the family. The innkeepers,Tess and Ralph, are friendly, make you feel welcome and comfortable, and clearly enjoy meeting new people and making their stay as good as they can. The bed and breakfast is as cute as cute can be, with a cozy vibe to it. There is a kitchen and a small fridge, and not much room to cook your own food, but luckily there are some great local restaurants which are all very close. This bed and breakfast is in a great location! Enjoy some of Ralph's bbq around their homemade bbq pit and then dig into some of Tess' famous chocolate chip cookies. It's little things like that, that show they care. The rooms are simple and comfy. Rather that a modern room filled to the brim with gadgets, you can enjoy a more quiet and simpler room. Here it is about comfort and friends!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank aganz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Darmstadt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

I went to Santa Clara for a conference and decided to avoid the recommended list of mainstream hotel chains around the conference center. The Madison St. Inn is definitely a better choice and made my friends who were staying at the Hilton jealous. Tess and Ralph are the best hosts ever and made me feel as being home. Thank you!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank nuno73
Los Alamos, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2011

I travel on business and if possible try to give my money to locals rather than a chain. This place was clean and well kept. I arrived late and called and talked to Ralph to tell him I was going to dinner first; no problem, they left me instructions to get in. Next morning, I had a nice breakfast of eggs benedict, then some helpful directions to get me on my way. They've been there 25 years; must be doing something right.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bornlate
tesswsantaclara, Owner at Madison Street Inn, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Glad to hear that guest enjoyed the breakfast. We make sure to serve an egg dish, bread or pastry of some kind and fresh fruit every day. Also, work a lot with vegan and gluten free diets so please advise on booking if any dietary requirements.
san jose, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2011

While I was a travel nurse, I stumbled across the Madison Street Inn on the internet and was intrigued by the idea of staying in a B&B in an old Victorian home and thought I would give it a go. I was immediately warmly welcomed as I stepped back in time as I entered the old Victorian home. I walked in on a cold night and was greeted by a crackling fire and Theresa's delicious chocolate chip cookies. The old charm of the place, the family-like atmosphere and dinners around the fire pit in the backyard or around the fireplace inside with other guests persuaded me to stay another 3 months! Theresa and Ralph are warm and welcoming and the family-like atmosphere is a lovely and fun alternative to cold, sterile and lonely hotels! I definitely recommend the Inn, especially if you like the charm of history and appreciate a warm, family atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank raidergirl222
Santa Clara, California, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2011

I'm staying at the inn for an extended period time and couldn't be happier. I am a travel nurse and could have stayed in corporate housing (apartment) or an extended stay hotel but I found the inn online and decided it would be fun to check out.

Theresa and Ralph are amazing hosts and know a lot about the area from where to hike, bike or shop to where to eat, etc. The weekly dinners are a fun time to get to know other guests-around the bbq outside in the warmer weather or in the parlor by the fire when its too cold (I've done both!) Like an earlier poster said it feels like you are having dinner with a group of friends. There is a ton of seating in the back yard/pool area and its one of my favorite places to sit and read. I'm in the Fremont room which is super airy with tons of natural light.

I use the internet all the time and I have never had an issue with it which isn't the case in most of the hotels I have stayed in so that's a bonus!

I'm here for a little while longer and I am already sad to leave. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a place that is more like a home and less like a hotel!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank angiern76
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2011

After reading reviews of the Madison St. Inn, I booked a four-night stay. I arrived very late at night and the innkeepers were accommodating, leaving me access to the room. When I went to the room, it was so tiny I could barely move around the bed. The linens were threadbare and the blanket was ripped and worn. The bathroom had blood spatters all over the hairdryer and curtains. There was one filthy plastic cup on the vanity. Needless to say, I changed my plans and left the next morning. When I mentioned the issues to the innkeeper, she said that perhaps the cleaner had "forgotten" to clean the room!"

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MarylandErin
tesswsantaclara, Owner at Madison Street Inn, responded to this review, May 15, 2011
I am sorry that the Iinn failed to meet this guest's standard of cleanliness. Some of our rooms are small, I USUALLY point that out when the person is booking. it is possible that I did not in this case. In any line of business the customer is always right, but I need to disgagree with this guest's assessment of the condition of the room and the words used were far too harsh. My comment " the cleaner must have forgotten" was made in an effort not to second guess her opinion and I offered her the Suite at the same price.
I probably could have handled the complaints differently.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Madison Street Inn en route back to San Jose after touring San Simeon and wine country/Paso Robles. We were thrilled with the ambiance, the hospitality and the food! Because Ralph and Teresa live in a separate home that's on an adjoining property we never felt uncomfortable lounging in the lovely parlor or having an early dinner from The Falafel Drive-In (a must!) in the cozy kitchen. We'll be back and we highly recommend it for anyone traveling to the area whether you're "B&B types" or not!

Room Tip: The rooms are ALL lovely!