“Collards and Corn bread, y'all”

Lillie Mae's House of Soul Food
Ranked #61 of 440 Restaurants in Santa Clara
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed May 2, 2012

This is quite the place. It looks like a wooden farmhouse inside, all dark and such. The food was average with meats drowned in BBQ sauce and fried chicken with thick crunchy breading and sweet tea and grape juice available as well as sodas. If you order okra, you get deep fried okra with breading and you will wait at least 15 minutes for your order, too. My companion got his plate right away. Also, you cannot order two of the same side dishes on the same plate. Why I don't know when the menu clearly state you are entitled to two sides - they denied a double helping of mashed potatoes to my companion. My beef and chicken BBQ was served oddly. They put the chicken on top of the beef and poured sauce over both which left the portion of pulled beef under the chicken without sauce. All sides are served in individual paper cups placed on your plate. My companion found the fried chicken passable in the spice department, but that the breading was too thick to his preference. Also odd, there is no place to return plates when you are forced to pick up your own plates from the cook's counter. When I tried to return mine after our meal, the cashier seemed perturbed. Tip jars are all over the place. I counted 3, and the cashier made a show of placing his hand on the tip jar next to the till as we perused the overhead menu.
All that being said, this is the first time I have been to a place that served soul food, perhaps this is the way the food is supposed to be served. I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that I will not be returning. I tried Lillie Mae's, and it was not to my liking.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
San Jose, California
Reviewed April 9, 2008

Pretty bad food. Will not go back. Sticky floors and even the outside looks like a shack.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook