“If I could give it 6* I would”

Sandpiper Golf Club
New York City
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 632 helpful votes
“If I could give it 6* I would”
Reviewed October 28, 2009

What a treat for anyone who loves golf. This is one of the most spectacular courses I have played. The setting is simply incredible. Most of the back 9 is on the cliffs overlooking a gorgeous coast line. Staff is great and the course maintenance is fantastic. The greens were some of the best I have played on--fast! I played Torrey Pines for the first time in June of this year and it did not compare for beauty and course maintenance and amenities.

I can't imagine anyone not loving this golf course. I wish it were closer to home.

Palm Harbor, FL
“Equal to an average municipal course”
Reviewed May 21, 2009

There are a few holes that are quite nice, in consideration of the view. Ironically, there is a large oil refinery that is not far off of the shore; which disturbs the view. Their signature hole #11 is beautiful, as long as you don't look at the oil pumping station just to your right, you can hear it though. I would give this course 4 stars for view but 2-3 for the actual course. First, they do not provide tees, other than the 3 in your cart. They don't even have them at the practice range. I had to use broken tees that I found at the tee boxes. Normally, I would carry them in my bag but I was on vacation and rented clubs. Rental clubs are good. Second, no towels or any amenities in the cart. We didn't even have water in the ball/iron clubhead washer but since we didn't have towels either, I guess we didn't need water. The greens had some kind of moss on most of them. I am not a grass expert but I know that your ball should not be bouncing along the green when you putt. The fairways were mowed just prior to us playing and I mean just prior. We played late morning and early afternoon and they were in front of us. After a while, we tried to hit near them. Childish but maybe they would get the point. The newly mowed grass left big clumps in the fairway. Real nice. We found about 30-40 balls. Sounds good except they were cut in half by the mowers and left there. We did not have a cart girl on our first day and did have a guy ask us if we wanted something on our second time out. In summary, this is an overpriced course that has potential. If you are serious about golf, don't go. If you just hack around and would like nice ocean views (except oil rig), then this is OK but pricey. I have played better municipal courses for half the cost.

reading, uk
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Worth it for the views alone”
Reviewed November 6, 2008

I played Sandpiper in August 08 as part of my honeymoon (whilst the wife visited the nearby spa). The golf course is fantastic. It's not overly long and isn't daunting for an ameteur (I'm a 26 handicapper).

I guess it's a typical American country club. It's impecably maintained and there is a girl on a cart offering snacks and drinks. I even saw her delivering a bloody mary to the fourball in front (that does not happen in the UK).

The course is right by the ocean and offers spectacular views and some really visually pleasing holes.

I hired some excellent Titleist clubs and a cart comes as standard.

The down side was that it was expensive and play was very slow - especially frustrating as i was playing solo. I managed to get round 15 holes in 4 hours before having to go and meet the new wife.

1 Thank readingmichael