“A great way to spend the day”
Review of Market Forays

Market Forays
More attraction details
Owner description: Market Forays offers Locavore Cooking Classes and Culinary Adventures for leisure travelers. Sustainable Team Building Events for Corporate Groups. Private Chef Services. Our classes are built around the freshest seasonal local ingredients, combined with a playful attitude that draws on my French upbringing, enriched by the cuisines of the many countries I have visited and by California's own multicultural richness. The preferences and restrictions of my guests are built into the day's lesson plan to ensure that everyone enjoys the experience. Sample menus can be viewed on the Market Forays website. Classes are hands-on, and a printed recipe guide is provided to each guest. The goal is not to impress you with my skills, it is to help you realize your own abilities. Saturday Market Forays classes begin at 8 in the morning at the harbor, continue on to the farmers market, and then we cook and share a feast. Class wraps up around 3:30 pm. Cost is $145 per person. Private classes available during the week, advance reservation is required.
Honolulu, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A great way to spend the day”
Reviewed February 4, 2011

My husband and I joined Laurence and 3 others on a beautiful Saturday in SB. Laurence's style is so laid back and easy that she made all of us--from the experienced food writer to the inexperienced cook (me) feel at ease. The time spent at the Farmer's Market was interesting and fun, and the time spent making various dishes was a great experience.

What I enjoyed the most was getting a real feel for the Santa Barbara lifestyle that Laurence has come to enjoy and her passion for cooking and teaching others. It helped me to relax and enjoy the time off that much more.

Visited January 2011
1 Thank BobbyNSue

Los Angeles
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“A Must Do in Santa Barbara for "foodies"”
Reviewed January 18, 2011

My girlfriends and I participated in this very unique and worthwhile cooking experience this last Saturday. It is more than a cooking class, as you actually go with the chef around town to shop for all the ingredients for the meal. It is all lead by a wonderful french woman named Laurence. You meet her first thing in the morning down at the harbor to pick out fresh fish right from the fisherman's cages on the pier then the group peruses the local farmers market, where she tells you how to shop for the best produce. Then you visit a local cheese shop and a beautiful little chocolate shop (where we bought gourmet chocolate for our chocolate mousse dessert!). We prepped, cooked and ate a scrumtous 4 course meal at one of her friend's beautiful homes in Montecito. Truly a wonderful way to spend the day...and it was most of the day. No need to eat dinner that night we were so satisfied. Don't miss this if you are visiting Santa Barbara or even better if you live there (then you can go back to the farmers market and shop like a pro!).

Visited January 2011
Manhattan Beach, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Haven't had this much fun since my last trip to Italy!”
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Laurence's Market Forays is marvelous, from start to finish!
Laurence shares information freely and cogently, giving the insider track on buying fresh fish on the pier, which sellers are best for various items at the Farmer's market, what to look for when buying produce...
Great as that is, the best part is how she quickly encouraged a group of strangers to bond and have such a fantastic day.
Out of a group of five, I was the only one there on my own. I am admittedly somewhat awkward socially. But everyone was marvelous, and we were soon all sharing our stories and laughing together. The day just got better and better as we worked together to fix the meal.
The food was SOOO GOOOOOD!
I probably would not have tried the recipies on my own, but they were all delicious, and I am looking forward to fixing them here at home. And I learned some great tips on how to make my everyday cooking more interesting and more efficient.
But the very best part was sharing the day, and that marvelous meal, with lovely, interesting people, with Laurence as an extremely gracious hostess.
Thank you, Laurence!

1 Thank Peggy54
lmhauben, Owner at Market Forays, responded to this review, December 2, 2010
Dear Peggy:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It was a pleasure to have a rocket scientist in the group, and I look forward to seeing you again. Warm regards,
Laurence
Santa Ana, California
“Market Forays was a fabulous experience.”
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Seven friends spent the day with Laurence touring the local market and selecting items for dinner. Included were foul, produce, bread, cheese, wine, etc. We all then assisted in preparing the meal in Laurence's cozy, charming home. What a wonderful time we had ... watching Laurence cook, participating ourselves, and then, of course, eating. I recommend this experience to anyone who loves outstanding food, wine, and converstaion. A good time was had by all.

Seal Beach,CA
“Every foodie's perfect day..........”
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I'm so happy I found Laurence and her Market Forays. What a great day. It started at the harbor checking out the catch of the day, can't get any fresher than that. The Seabass Tartar we prepared was mouth watering. Then on to the farmer's market. What was so great about the tour was that Laurence knows all the vendors by name and what's the best stand to buy certain ingredients at. She's also very spontaneous and picks up additional fresh things that look great (and taste great too). Cooking in her charming kitchen was delightful. The grounds were beautiful as well, filled with fruit trees bulging with their summer harvest. The table was all set for our wonderful meal with Limoges china and crystal. It really felt like a slice of life in a small town in France. Everything we cooked was so fresh and wonderful, yet simple enough to recreate at home. I’m planning to go back and do it all again in another season and bring some friends who’s mouth’s were watering as I told them about the great day Santa Barbara.
Merci Beaucoup - Laurence!!