“Market Forays was a fabulous experience.”
Review of Market Forays

Market Forays
More attraction details
Owner description: Market Forays offers Locavore Cooking Classes and Culinary Adventures for leisure travelers. Sustainable Team Building Events for Corporate Groups. Private Chef Services. Our classes are built around the freshest seasonal local ingredients, combined with a playful attitude that draws on my French upbringing, enriched by the cuisines of the many countries I have visited and by California's own multicultural richness. The preferences and restrictions of my guests are built into the day's lesson plan to ensure that everyone enjoys the experience. Sample menus can be viewed on the Market Forays website. Classes are hands-on, and a printed recipe guide is provided to each guest. The goal is not to impress you with my skills, it is to help you realize your own abilities. Saturday Market Forays classes begin at 8 in the morning at the harbor, continue on to the farmers market, and then we cook and share a feast. Class wraps up around 3:30 pm. Cost is $145 per person. Private classes available during the week, advance reservation is required.
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Seven friends spent the day with Laurence touring the local market and selecting items for dinner. Included were foul, produce, bread, cheese, wine, etc. We all then assisted in preparing the meal in Laurence's cozy, charming home. What a wonderful time we had ... watching Laurence cook, participating ourselves, and then, of course, eating. I recommend this experience to anyone who loves outstanding food, wine, and converstaion. A good time was had by all.

There are newer reviews for Market Forays

Reviewed August 26, 2010

I'm so happy I found Laurence and her Market Forays. What a great day. It started at the harbor checking out the catch of the day, can't get any fresher than that. The Seabass Tartar we prepared was mouth watering. Then on to the farmer's market. What was so great about the tour was that Laurence knows all the vendors by name and what's the best stand to buy certain ingredients at. She's also very spontaneous and picks up additional fresh things that look great (and taste great too). Cooking in her charming kitchen was delightful. The grounds were beautiful as well, filled with fruit trees bulging with their summer harvest. The table was all set for our wonderful meal with Limoges china and crystal. It really felt like a slice of life in a small town in France. Everything we cooked was so fresh and wonderful, yet simple enough to recreate at home. I’m planning to go back and do it all again in another season and bring some friends who’s mouth’s were watering as I told them about the great day Santa Barbara.
Merci Beaucoup - Laurence!!

Reviewed July 12, 2010

We live in Santa Barbara, and invited another local couple to join us in this foray. We told ourselves we would pretend we were experiencing SB for the first time, and try to keep our eyes open so we could appreciate what we take for granted. As hard as it is to imagine, our day with Laurence deepened our appreciation of SB even more! And, it was a very relaxing, fun day filled with great conversation, a relaxed pace, and amazing food.

This is not just for out of towners - give yourself or someone you love the gift of a market foray.

Reviewed May 24, 2010

In May, I had the wonderful experience of spending the morning at a local farm picking luscious Chandler strawberries followed by an afternoon of jam-making at Laurence Hauben's lovely home with a small group of other interested 'jammers' taking Laurence's half-day Strawberry Jam Session. We not only learned how to make delicious jam, but we were also treated to a fabulous and quite memorable farm-fresh lunch all prepared by Laurence, who is a delight. If you have the opportunity to participate in one of Laurence's classes, I can highly recommend it. This was a topnotch, quality experience from start to finish.

2  Thank sb93110
Reviewed May 21, 2010

I traveled to Santa Barbara for a long weekend in early May with one of my friends who found Laurence (the chef behind Market Forays) on Trip Adviser. This was the highlight of the trip for me. We met at the wharf where we chatted with the fishermen and picked out our seafood (crab fresh off the boat), next we went to the farmers market - best farmers market I have ever been to. Laurence knows everyone and she ensured that we were able to taste the produce at almost every table we stopped at. Next up, fabulous cheese shop where we tasted as many cheeses as we wanted. Then to the best part of the day - Laurence's home. It is like walking into Eden. Flowers everywhere and fruit trees bursting with fresh fruit. Amazing. We started off with mimosas with fresh orange juice sitting in her garden before we got started cooking our luncheon feast. You can do as much or as little cooking as you like, Laurence is very flexible. Laurence also had plenty of wine for us (a local grenache blanc and syrah) and she let me munch on the fresh bread she picked up at the farmer's market while we cooked. The final meal was incredible. When my friend and I were ready to leave she recommended a nearby beach for us to drive to where we spent the remainder of our afternoon. This was my favorite day in Santa Barbara, even more than our drive through the Ynez valley wine tasting. Highly recommended.

2  Thank KathyRome