“The food was delicious and I learned so many things.”
Review of Market Forays

Market Forays
More attraction details
Owner description: Market Forays offers Locavore Cooking Classes and Culinary Adventures for leisure travelers. Sustainable Team Building Events for Corporate Groups. Private Chef Services. Our classes are built around the freshest seasonal local ingredients, combined with a playful attitude that draws on my French upbringing, enriched by the cuisines of the many countries I have visited and by California's own multicultural richness. The preferences and restrictions of my guests are built into the day's lesson plan to ensure that everyone enjoys the experience. Sample menus can be viewed on the Market Forays website. Classes are hands-on, and a printed recipe guide is provided to each guest. The goal is not to impress you with my skills, it is to help you realize your own abilities. Saturday Market Forays classes begin at 8 in the morning at the harbor, continue on to the farmers market, and then we cook and share a feast. Class wraps up around 3:30 pm. Cost is $145 per person. Private classes available during the week, advance reservation is required.
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Very informative. We learned about how to choose fish. We then went to the farmers market and selected the fresh ingredients and learned where the best places are to shop. Then off to the cheese market to pick out cheese.
The whole day was fabulous and I plan on signing up again.

Reviewed August 16, 2011

My girlfriends & I were looking for something unique to do. This class was absolutely wonderful! I've participated in a lot of market/cooking class but by far, I had the most fun at this one. I loved learning about my local California sourced products. We went to the docks to pick up the hugest Spot Prawns I have ever seen. We then headed off to the Santa Barbara Farmer's Market to discover new produce [have you ever seen or tasted a Caviar Lime??! It's amazing...if a bit pricey at $30 per pound!] and pick up our ingredients for our feast!

I found it amazing that you can use the freshest ingredients and hold back on the necessity of salting it. Laurence made a wonderful vegetable soup without ever using salt or pepper!

It's a fantastic class and I can't wait to go back!

Reviewed July 18, 2011

I recently sent this email to Chef Laurence to thank her for my wonderful birthday party...

Dear Laurence,
The two Market Forays classes I shared with you in 2009 were two great days in my life!! I was a friend at your table, (and my husband Jim and BFF Aletha) and it was LOVE at first bite for all of us experiencing your “almost visceral passion for fresh, high quality ingredients.” It was SO much fun gathering those wonderful ingredients for your inspired and sometimes ad hoc menus for our meals. We started the mornings with the fish guy, followed by visits to the cheese and chocolate shops and Santa Barbara’s world-renowned Farmers Market. The day’s events were captured perfectly in the definition of your company name Market Foray(s), noun: a daring sortie, reconnaissance, or adventure, usually for the purpose of (delicious) plunder:-)!

Fast forward to July 2, 2011 for my fabulous fifty birthday party and I knew exactly how I wanted to celebrate. Location: The Santa Barbara area, one of my favorite places in the world. Caterer: Chef Laurence, one of my favorite chefs in all the world:-). Event: To share with my family and friends the experience of enjoying the wonderful food you cook which is offered with warmth and true hospitality. Well, the rest as they say is history.

From the moment the “surprise” location was revealed on our arrival to Roblar Winery a beautiful evening began full of perfect (delicious) plunder with an added dash of wonderful and a sprinkle of magic:-). The menu with the Roblar Wine parings was simply sublime with a touch of divine and it was LOVE at first bite for all 26 of us who were friends at your table. The coursed tasting menu was lovely from the starter of local halibut poached in shellfish broth, saffron nage, tomato confetti, basil chiffonade and lemon-garlic aioli croutons to the last of three dessert courses that we danced our way through (literally!) of assorted chocolate truffles and cognac! If only we could rewind the movie and play it all over again! What a memorable feast!

Thank you for your generosity and kindness as well as Brian with Roblar Winery and both your teams with helping to make the evening a complete success. It was very special having the party at Roblar and our guests enjoyed visiting the winery and spending time with you in the kitchen for a “mini forays” moment on how to prepare the Provencale Tomatoes.

Jim and Aletha were in cohoots planning my celebration and they shared with me how you gave them complete trust with the party, and they were both able to relax and enjoy the evening too. As you know our company specializes in international corporate incentive and special events and this was the greatest gift for all of us.

Again, many thanks Laurence and we look forward to connecting with you soon, certainly well before my 100th birthday!

Reviewed July 17, 2011

Laurence's class is a wonderful experience and education. The trips to markets and
food vendors is educational and fun. The colors, smells, textures of the markets along with Laurence's knowledge makes for a wonderful day.
The cooking class was set in a beautiful home and everyone learns food prep, cooking techniques and presentation.
It is a full day that goes quickly and like a favorite book or movie....makes you want to come back to Santa Barbara for another Market Foray with Laurence.
Julie
Manhattan Beach

1  Thank designgirlmb
Reviewed July 16, 2011

My girlfriends and I had a fabulous day visiting the Santa Barbara fish market for fresh crab and halibut, then to the local Farmer's market for beautiful vegetables and exquisite local apricots plus a trip to the local cheese store. It was a foodie's delight. Laurence is a wonderful teacher who believes having fun and sipping wine go together with cooking. Our class was held in a beautiful Santa Barbara home and we created one of the most memorable meals I've had in a long time. Really fresh, local and delicious. We can't wait for Laurence to announce her jam-making class. We're coming back!

2  Thank VAN01