“A Memorable Feast” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Market Forays

Market Forays
More attraction details
Owner description: Market Forays offers Locavore Cooking Classes and Culinary Adventures for leisure travelers. Sustainable Team Building Events for Corporate Groups. Private Chef Services. Our classes are built around the freshest seasonal local ingredients, combined with a playful attitude that draws on my French upbringing, enriched by the cuisines of the many countries I have visited and by California's own multicultural richness. The preferences and restrictions of my guests are built into the day's lesson plan to ensure that everyone enjoys the experience. Sample menus can be viewed on the Market Forays website. Classes are hands-on, and a printed recipe guide is provided to each guest. The goal is not to impress you with my skills, it is to help you realize your own abilities. Saturday Market Forays classes begin at 8 in the morning at the harbor, continue on to the farmers market, and then we cook and share a feast. Class wraps up around 3:30 pm. Cost is $145 per person. Private classes available during the week, advance reservation is required.
Sierra Madre, California
“A Memorable Feast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

I recently sent this email to Chef Laurence to thank her for my wonderful birthday party...

Dear Laurence,
The two Market Forays classes I shared with you in 2009 were two great days in my life!! I was a friend at your table, (and my husband Jim and BFF Aletha) and it was LOVE at first bite for all of us experiencing your “almost visceral passion for fresh, high quality ingredients.” It was SO much fun gathering those wonderful ingredients for your inspired and sometimes ad hoc menus for our meals. We started the mornings with the fish guy, followed by visits to the cheese and chocolate shops and Santa Barbara’s world-renowned Farmers Market. The day’s events were captured perfectly in the definition of your company name Market Foray(s), noun: a daring sortie, reconnaissance, or adventure, usually for the purpose of (delicious) plunder:-)!

Fast forward to July 2, 2011 for my fabulous fifty birthday party and I knew exactly how I wanted to celebrate. Location: The Santa Barbara area, one of my favorite places in the world. Caterer: Chef Laurence, one of my favorite chefs in all the world:-). Event: To share with my family and friends the experience of enjoying the wonderful food you cook which is offered with warmth and true hospitality. Well, the rest as they say is history.

From the moment the “surprise” location was revealed on our arrival to Roblar Winery a beautiful evening began full of perfect (delicious) plunder with an added dash of wonderful and a sprinkle of magic:-). The menu with the Roblar Wine parings was simply sublime with a touch of divine and it was LOVE at first bite for all 26 of us who were friends at your table. The coursed tasting menu was lovely from the starter of local halibut poached in shellfish broth, saffron nage, tomato confetti, basil chiffonade and lemon-garlic aioli croutons to the last of three dessert courses that we danced our way through (literally!) of assorted chocolate truffles and cognac! If only we could rewind the movie and play it all over again! What a memorable feast!

Thank you for your generosity and kindness as well as Brian with Roblar Winery and both your teams with helping to make the evening a complete success. It was very special having the party at Roblar and our guests enjoyed visiting the winery and spending time with you in the kitchen for a “mini forays” moment on how to prepare the Provencale Tomatoes.

Jim and Aletha were in cohoots planning my celebration and they shared with me how you gave them complete trust with the party, and they were both able to relax and enjoy the evening too. As you know our company specializes in international corporate incentive and special events and this was the greatest gift for all of us.

Again, many thanks Laurence and we look forward to connecting with you soon, certainly well before my 100th birthday!

Manhattan Beach, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A perfect day in Santa Barbara!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

Laurence's class is a wonderful experience and education. The trips to markets and
food vendors is educational and fun. The colors, smells, textures of the markets along with Laurence's knowledge makes for a wonderful day.
The cooking class was set in a beautiful home and everyone learns food prep, cooking techniques and presentation.
It is a full day that goes quickly and like a favorite book or movie....makes you want to come back to Santa Barbara for another Market Foray with Laurence.
Julie
Manhattan Beach

1 Thank designgirlmb
Manhattan Beach, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“We had so much fun cooking and shopping with Laurence.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

My girlfriends and I had a fabulous day visiting the Santa Barbara fish market for fresh crab and halibut, then to the local Farmer's market for beautiful vegetables and exquisite local apricots plus a trip to the local cheese store. It was a foodie's delight. Laurence is a wonderful teacher who believes having fun and sipping wine go together with cooking. Our class was held in a beautiful Santa Barbara home and we created one of the most memorable meals I've had in a long time. Really fresh, local and delicious. We can't wait for Laurence to announce her jam-making class. We're coming back!

2 Thank VAN01
Fullerton, California
“It was an extraordinary culinary experience from the pier to Laurence's lovely home.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

It was such an incredible day. We picked out the rock lobster on the pier, went to the fish market for fresh (just caught) King Salmon, to the farmers market (the nicest I have ever been to), to the cheese shop and to Laurence's for cook and eat. The participants were interesting and participated to the fullest. It was a really fun day.

Visited May 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A great way to spend the day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2011

My husband and I joined Laurence and 3 others on a beautiful Saturday in SB. Laurence's style is so laid back and easy that she made all of us--from the experienced food writer to the inexperienced cook (me) feel at ease. The time spent at the Farmer's Market was interesting and fun, and the time spent making various dishes was a great experience.

What I enjoyed the most was getting a real feel for the Santa Barbara lifestyle that Laurence has come to enjoy and her passion for cooking and teaching others. It helped me to relax and enjoy the time off that much more.

Visited January 2011