“Very charming!”
Review of Coast Village Inn

Coast Village Inn
Ranked #8 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We arrived at the hotel approximately 4 hours before standard check in and were advised that we could check in within an hour. There were three of us, (2 adults and a twelve year old), and when I made the reservations, I declared that. However, upon checking in, I do not think they had it listed in their system, because the only room they had available for us was a queen size bed room. When we got to our room, it was small, but there was a rather large closet without a door, so we had our child sleep in there, on the floor, and it worked out just fine! The bed was very comfortable, but there was no A/C, so it got a little warm (we weren't willing to sleep with the window open). The pool was very nice, with plenty of areas to sit (shady and sunny). There were lots of beautiful flower baskets around, and I would definitely stay here again! The hotel gave us 2 $5 vouchers for breakfast at Jeaninne's Bakery.

Room Tip: Our room faced the back, which was completely fine...there was also plenty of parking.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Coast Village Inn

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I had been to Santa Barbara many times, but had never really been to Montecito. We stayed here for one night in August 2012 as we were attending a concert at the Santa Barbara Bowl and wanted something a little different. On the one hand, I thought the property was sort of a gussied up motel with reproduction vintage furnishings, but on the other hand I thought it was quaint and a sweet place to stay (much more interesting than a big hotel chain).

Positives: reasonably priced for the area; very friendly staff; nice heated pool (on the low end only 3 feet high, so kids can stand up by themselves); $5 off voucher per person for breakfast at Jeanne's Bakery and Cafe (starts with a J, not sure of exact name) across the street (v. good, go early for a seat outside); in and out parking for only $3.

Negatives: probably the only negatives were no A/C (just a ceiling fan) and some noise from the street, but this did not really bother us.

Room Tip: We chose a room with two full size beds for two adults and one child - this was fine. There is no el...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank HibiscusDays
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My wife and I have different opinions about this hotel. I thought it was a great place to stay. It was clean and the staff was great. My wife would have liked air conditioning and a coffee maker in the room. Coffee was offered in the lobby and the weather was mild. The rooms were not noisy. Compared to other hotels in the area, this was a good value.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lynndds
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We spent 3 nights at the Coast Village Inn just outside Santa Barbara in the rather genteel & well to do area, Montecito. On site parking was an extra $3 a day, which I would have preferred to be included at the time of booking. The location appeared very safe & secure, with numerous attractive & non -chain shops, cafes, restaurants etc.

Staff we encountered were always courteous & helpful.

The hotel is quite a distance from the centre of Santa Barbara, which I had not fully appreciated until we arrived. It took us 40mins to walk from the hotel to State Street (main street in Santa Barbara). However, there is access to a beach within 5-10mins walk (Butterfly Beach I think).The hotel did offer bikes for hire, but we did not use. There were buses into town but these tended to be rather infrequent.

Our room was a studio with a double bed & foldaway sofa bed. It was spacious and quiet, albeit rather dark. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean & fresh. It was cleaned & tidied to a high standard every day.

The TV was flat screen & a reasonable size for the room. There was also a DVD player but you would have to bring your own DVD's as there were none to borrow at the reception.

Bathroom was good with shower & bath combination. Shower control did require some adjustments to achieve correct & steady temperature. Lots of soft towels were provided.

There was a small fridge, but no coffee/tea maker or in room safe.Wifi access was free & appeared quick & reliable.There was an ice machine on site.

We enjoyed the good sized pool which was clean & well maintained. Separate towels were available by the pool.

There was no on site laundry facilities & the nearest launderette was in Santa Barbara itself, Montecito appearing rather too upmarket for such a service.

Breakfast was not available in the hotel but they gave you $5 daily credit per person for breakfast at local restaurant Jeannine's, ( average price I think $9- $14) 5 mins down the road. The food at Jeannine's we considered to be very good indeed & the place was always full & had a buzzy, but laid back atmosphere. It offers breakfast & lunch but closes at 4pm.There is often a queue & breakfast is available only until 10.00am.

In summary, we were very satisfied with the Coast Village Inn & we had a relaxing & very pleasant stay in this lovely little hotel. I would not hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

room number 18 is next to their laundry machines, which they begin using at 7 AM.

I complained to the clerk. She apologized and said she will take note not to put me in room 18 next stay.

There will not be a "next stay" thank you.

I did not pay $160 to be rudely awakened by washing machines. If one can't get restful sleep at a hotel, then it is useless.

Room Tip: don't stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rs011714f
Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

This was my second time staying here and it was as great as I remembered it. I stayed last summer with my boyfriend and we decided to stay here again earlier this month. When we first drove in we noticed some upgrades. The landscaping looked amazing and it looks like they painted the hotel. I have read the other reviews and noticed people complaining that the rooms are too small. I talked with the front desk girl and found out the hotel was built in the 1930s which is why the rooms are on the small side. Aside from the room size, the hotel is very clean, charming, has comfortable beds and great service. The rooms are definitely worth every penny for what you get. This is the only place we will stay when visiting Santa Barbara!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank L2T1206
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Got this hotel on priceline and was quite disappointed. Rooms are tiny! I requested a change after walking in the first room, because it was shockingly small and the room had an overpowering smell of CarpetFresh or something like that. I assumed somebody had been smoking. The next room was just as bad. One queen bed and with a rollaway for our kids we could not open the bathroom door.

The bathroom? Had to sit sideways on the toilet because there was so little room between it and the wall. Shower stall was tiny as well. Next night we upgraded to a 'suite' which to my thinking was a regular queen room with a hide-a-bed, but at least it didn't stink of carpet cleaner.

The front desk staff was very polite and helpful, the grounds were well kept and the buildings, old as they are, are kept up pretty well. But I don't stay at a hotel for what is outside the room...

Room Tip: get a room on the back side of the upper building, away from street noise there
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family