“A place to sleep”

Ranked #23 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Irvine, California
“A place to sleep”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

If you're looking for a clean, functional room, stay here! The staff are nice, too. But there are SO MANY hotels to choose from in Santa Barbara in this price range... Our room was small, the view wasn't interesting... The room was next to the elevator and we woke up every time someone rode in it (make sure to request a room away from the elevator). Next time we will try something different and hope for something a little bit more special.

Room Tip: away from the elevator!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OChappycamper
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear OChappycamper,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Thank you for the high scores on cleanliness and service. I'm sorry to hear that the elevator disturbed your sleep. We hope that you provide us the opportunity to regain your faith in our property by staying with us next time you visit Santa Barbara.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Korean first
San Angelo, Texas
Reviewed January 14, 2014

My husband and I escaped to Santa Barbara for Christmas and it was a perfect idea. I chose the hotel as it was highly recommended by Trip Advisor reviewers. I agreed with the beautiful hotel. It is an older building that has been updated but is well worth the stay. The staff is very, very helpful and everything you need is either across the street (Bar and Grill) or down the street for a convenience store. The famous State street is within walking distance for many restaurant choices and also some shopping. My husband and I loved the beautiful parks and the walking/riding/running path beside the ocean. I could actually live here if it wasn't soooo pricey. I would recommend this place for many reasons!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Debbie J,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm happy to hear that you chose to spend you Christmas holiday with us! Thank you for the compliments on our property and staff, it is always great to hear positive feedback. We hope to see you next time you visit the area.
Florida
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We have stayed here twice and both times was impressed with the friendliness of the staff, meticulous room and wonderful location. It is small/ quaint and all has been kept in very good order despite its age.
Was especially impressed with the level of attention we were given when we thought we had left a camera battery charge behind and called to see if they could recheck in our room. A staff member called us twice, just to make sure we had rec'd his messages, to say they looked all over for it but could not find. (Appears we lost it elsewhere.)
Thanks again for a wonderful stay!

1 Thank angelajoll
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear PHFlorida,
Thank you for taking the time to share comments on your recent stay with us. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and our location. We appreciate your repeat business and hope to see you in the future should your travels bring you back to Santa Barbara.
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Santa Barbara is a lovely city with it's people friendly parks and the best outdoor farmer's market I've ever seen! A great wharf to walk to and lots to see.
Now for the hotel. We've stayed here on one other occasion,and found on the second go-round that nothing had changed. Set in early twentieth century Santa Barbara,it has kept the charm of the time. Very friendly and accommodating staff,and the ambiance brings you back to earlier times. The breakfast...Surprisingly,is really good for an Express.Would I recommend this place....In a heartbeat!!! We'll be going back next year...

2 Thank Larry J
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear papster123,
Thank you for taking the time to provide positive feedback for our hotel. I'm glad you got the opportunity to visit our farmer's market during your stay. We always appreciate return guests and look forward to your future stays with us. Thank you again for your kind review!
Portland, Maine
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I was traveling on business when I stayed here. This was not easy (convenient "in and out' for business travel .... it also was pricey.)
With that said ... It would have been lots of fun and romantic for a couple.
There is a parking lot to the left of the building, and a small one to the right. If you arrive late at night you may have a problem parking. (I got there at 8:00 and there was a young man helping people find parking.) Parking fee was $12.00/day.
I was impressed with what they have done with this building ... I have to say.
I usually cringe at remodeled old buildings that are tucked in a downtown area ... but, they did a nice job with this one.
The decor was very pretty.
The hotel was overall very clean.
They said that is was a converted historic building. Each room had all of the modern amenities.
The rooms were small, but comfortable. (Small bathroom counter...not lots of outlets...etc.)
There was fridge in my room.
There was only a round table ... no desk.
The beds were "okay" for comfort.
Amy at the desk was nice.
One thing that I was very impressed about was that I was on the top floor and the water pressure and hot water were great.
What I thought was going to be an uncomfortable stay...ended up pleasant! I would not stay here again for business...(could not take advantage of the great location to the downtown/shops area...parking was not convenient...) but, would definitely stay if I was vacationing.
It is a unique place.
: -)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Dear Eulalia_3

Thank you for your review of our property. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the uniqueness of our historic property and the modern amenities that are provided. I am sorry that there were issues with our parking lots at the time of your check in. We have someone available to valet vehicles 24 hours a day in case our lots do become full. We are also in the process of replacing all of the round tables in our guest rooms with desks in order to better accommodate our business travelers. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you the next time you are in Santa Barbara for business or vacation.
California
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We've been to two hotels in Santa Barbara in the last month. We stayed at the Hyatt for $267, and the Express for $139. For our next stay we'll certainly be booking the Express- and not because of the money. The Hyatt was bland, noisy, far away from State Street (but close to a beautiful park). Did I say noisy? The Express is surprisingly charming, right around the corner from the shopping/restaurants and is still quiet. We were surprised to open our door in the morning to find the maid vacuuming right there and we didn't even hear her. The décor is quaint and the room is spotlessly clean. The bed was comfortable and my favorite thing- there are "firm" and "soft" labels stitched onto the pillowcases. Can't find a bad thing to day about the room. Maybe if you had kids the room could be small- but for a couple it was just fine. There wasn't an single amenity in the Hyatt room that we didn't have in the Express.
This is still an express hotel- so you won't have the gorgeous huge lobby with fireplace like you have at a hotel like the Hyatt. Breakfast is great, and free- but the area is right when you walk into the hotel lobby- not exactly ambience. They do have a cute little fountain.There aren't any garden areas or a spa- so don't expect any romantic or Zen moments outside of your room. The valet was a little less than confidence inspiring- but considering the parking fee of $12 covers self- service OR valet I was okay with it. The rest of the staff was great.
We did book the Hyatt at the last minute vs. the Express a little further in advance. So the price disparity would be less under normal (booking) circumstances. I'd still book the Express. I certainly don't mind forking over extra money for high quality, posh hotels with a lot of amenities. But given the over-priced hotels in the area, and that most of our time was spent in the city- not relaxing at the hotel- the next trip we'll book the Express again.

2 Thank JMoCalifornia
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear JMoCalifornia,
Thank you for your comprehensive review of our property. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative for your comments about our decor and cleanliness. We strive to give great service to all guests and it makes us happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you next time you visit Santa Barbara!
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed one night in this hotel which has an Excellent location in Santa Bárbara.
Nice and clean rooms.close to restaurant area, just a sort walking distance,one block.
But I will remark specially the attention provided by Angie in the front desk, she was really Nice And friendly, gave us lot of explanations about the places to see around the hotel.
Really professional, it is a pleasure to get in a hotel and find people like her.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TourguidesMallorca
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear TourguidesMallorca,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us. Our staff always appreciates reading positive reviews and hearing they had an impact on a guest's stay. We hope to see you next time you visit Santa Barbara.