“great choice”

Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara
Ranked #28 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The hotel is attractive and well-located both for access to the beach and shopping and restaurants in town. We were pleased that everything was within a pleasant walk of the hotel. The rooms are on the small side but have character with the exposed brick wall of the original historical building. The rooms have a coffee maker but no refrigerator or microwave although you could zip down to the lobby to use their microwave.
The clerks at the front desk are friendly and attentive—Cesar in particular was very helpful. The front desk offers bottled water, board games, beach towels, complimentary bike rentals, passes to local lap pool, and complimentary wine reception on Monday/Wednesday/Friday afternoons.
The biggest draw-back is the unimaginative HIE standard breakfast which is calorie-dense and bland. Unfortunately, that is beyond their control.

Room Tip: in back of hotel--we stayed in room 208
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Dear Brownq8,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We strive to give great service and it makes us happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I'm glad that you made it to our wine receptions and were able to explore the city. I apologize for the hidden location of the refrigerators in the room and we will work towards providing more variety in our breakfast selection. We hope to see you next time you are in Santa Barbara!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located downtown Santa Barbara, walking distance from the beach, restaurants, shops, etc. It is a sort of historic building, which means the insulation is not great so my only complaint about the hotel is the noise. You can definitely hear your neighbors walking upstairs and/or talking next door. By all means try to avoid any room close to the elevator! I was assigned one the first night and it was impossible to sleep so they kindly moved me to another room the following day. Breakfast is basic but good and they offer a nice cheese and wine reception three times a week in the balcony. The mattresses are a bit too soft for my taste but otherwise the beds are comfortable and I loved having two choices of pillows. Wifi worked great, everything was clean and staff was very attentive. The complimentary bottled water was a nice touch as well. Overall a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Away from the elevator!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Piolina
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Piolina,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I'm happy to hear that you got the chance to explore the city and that you enjoyed our wine reception. We hope to see you next time you visit Santa Barbara.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Great hotel in the heart of downtown Santa Barbara. Very clean rooms, decent breakfast, and very friendly & courteous staff. The staff actually made the stay very enjoyable, with their friendly greetings, advice on activities, and quick service when we requested an additional luggage rack. Would definitely stay again. Simply outstanding.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear CardiffKayaker,
Thank you for sharing about your recent stay at our hotel. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was accommodating. It is always motivating to read positive reviews! We hope to see you next time you visit the area.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Rooms were nice, free breakfast, wine free 3 nights a week, water bottles at front desk, as many as you need. The staff was very friendly. Close to everything, State Street, the Wharf, and train station. A little noisy on street side at the brewery, but fun to watch from your window.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Dale B,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We strive to give great service and it makes us happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I'm glad that you made it to our wine receptions and were able to explore the city. We hope to see you next time you are in Santa Barbara!

Reviewed November 10, 2013

This hotel is historic and right down town for those interested in restaurants and night life. I traveled here to see my son at UCSB and have stayed at numerous hotels in Santa Barbara. I was pleasantly surprised at this hotel. The hotel desk staff and others I ran into were very accommodating, very eager to please, able to answer all sorts of questions from directions, restaurants and hard to find items. The usual Holiday Inn breakfast was perfect. The hotel room was small and I could hear footsteps from the floor above, but no other noise. It was rather dark in the shower as the light was closer to the door, but other then those complaints I thought the place was great. It is about 5-6 blocks from the ocean.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Chicagoehc,
Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at our property. I'm happy to hear that you had a pleasant visit with your son. It is always motivating for our staff to see positive reviews. We hope to see you next time you visit Santa Barbara!

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I really enjoyed staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Santa Barbara. I loved how it wasn't "cookie cutter" like all other Holiday Inns I have stayed in the past. The front desk staff went above and beyond to make our stay wonderful. One of the desk agents..I believe her name was Angie even walked me over to a restaurant when I wasn't sure of the directions! The lobby was beautiful with an amazing fountain and the desk agents made us feel like we were family! I will be returning soon again! Thank You for making my stay very memorable.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Devin D,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm happy to hear that our staff was accommodating and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you next time you visit the area.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We had a fantastic stay! At first we didn't think we were going to get what we wanted. I then spoke to the hotel manager Douglas, and he fixed everything for us. The hotel is located perfectly in downtown Santa Barbara. The hotel staff recommended several places for us to go and we were treated like VIPs everywhere because we were staying at the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: January 2013
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Dear papajin,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I'm happy that we were able to accommodate your requests. We hope to see you next time you visit Santa Barbara!