WINNER WONDERLAND

“Close to about everything and friendly staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara

Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
“Close to about everything and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed here for one night with our 2 kids. Parking the car, checking in went like a breeze. We were offered complementary water, maps, wifi without asking. Great service. Hotel is 10m walking from the (not so nice) beach area. Main street is around the corner. Good beds, small but all-you-need bathroom.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank ErikFromBelgium
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. Our staff is always happy to hear positive comments about their service. I'm glad to enjoyed the location and the room. Next time you're in the area you should take a chance to check out the Santa Barbara Zoo with your children, it has a great family atmosphere. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Korean first
Godalming
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed one night at the HI Express SB en route to LAX. What a lovely little hotel! The building dates from 1926 and has much more character than a modern HIX building. The room was spacious with a very acceptable bathroom and lots of nice touches (free bike hire, bottled water, coffee available all day etc). All the staff very welcoming and helpful. Breakfast is the standard HIX meal - nothing amazing but built into the room price and fills a hole more than adequately. But the best part of this hotel is the location; three blocks to the beach and literally steps to State Street - lively shops and restaurants. SB itself is also a very pleasant town with heaps to do and see; we definitely plan to return for longer than one night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank emmalittleb
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. Our staff was excited to read your great comments. We hope that you can stay longer next time!
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I decided to have a 1 night staycation downtown and chose Holiday Inn Express for its prime location. We knew we would want to go to dinner and do some bar hopping/clubbing and diddnt want to need a cab.
The rooms were on the small side but we diddnt need more space, and they were clean and had all the amenities we needed.
They manage parking very well for being right on State street with both valet and off street parking.
We had a great time and plan on doing another "trip" to this hotel soon.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Oleander805
Thank you for your positive review! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and the amenities we offer. We do have a great location for both local attractions and downtown nightlife. On your next trip you should walk or take our bikes to the courthouse, the tower gives a great view of the city! We hope to see you next time you're in the area.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I just stayed for a quick weekend get away and we really had a good time. The location was great because we didn't have to drive anywhere all the bars, shops, restaurants were within walking distance (they also have bikes you can use at the hotel).The rooms were pretty average a little on the nicer side. The bed was super comfy and the staff were all very helpful and polite (I believe the guy helping us was Jason). I read some reviews about there being a lot of homeless people on state street and there were quite a few but they kept to themselves. Overall it's a good place to stay with good prices. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your positive comments. The staff always appreciates being mentioned! I'm glad you got a chance to enjoy the downtown bars and shops. Next time you're in the area you should take our bikes down to the beach, or take a tour of the Santa Barbara Mission. We look forward to your next visit to Santa Barbara.
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I've stayed here twice now... both times for business, although, I also lived in the city for 6 years and have been there many, many times on business. This hotel is in a GREAT location. It's right off of State street in the very walkable part of downtown. Tons of food options close by, including SB BrewCo right across the street. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Complimentary Breakfast is quite good compared to normal "free" hotel breakfasts. If you're here for a non-business trip, I'd recommend many of the restaurants nearby instead, but if you're here on business and need a quick bite to eat before getting to the office, you could do much worse. All rooms have a mini-fridge and the microwave downstairs is available 24-hrs. You can also get a complimentary gym pass to Spectrum which is not too far of a walk away. My company made the reservations and paid, and I did not have a car, although it looks like there is only valet parking.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the great review. We appreciate the feedback, especially from our repeat guests like yourself. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast options and got a chance to use some of our extra amenities, like the complimentary gym day passes. We hope to see you next time you're in the area for business or pleasure!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed in Santa Barbara for 4 nights on business and chose to stay at the Holiday Inn Express again after a previous good experience. I'm happy to report that the hotel is still a good choice!

I arrived on a Friday evening. The parking lots of the hotel were stuffed, so I was pleased that there was a valet on-hand to help out. The valet gave great service on both Friday and Saturday night (it was back to self-parking on Sunday and Monday). Check-in was welcoming and efficient; I was assigned the room type I had reserved, with my room preferences for floor & location honored by the hotel.

The hotel is in a charming historic building, so it has a lot more character than your typical Holiday Inn Express. The rooms are on the small side, but my room was well-appointed with a comfortable king bed, a small desk, a dresser (flat-screen TV with excellent channel selection on-top), and an armoire. The room had exposed brick walls and pleasant decor. Internet was free and worked well. The only flaw came when the room didn't have a do-not-distrub sign. I asked the front desk to provide one, and it was promised that the staff would deliver one; they never did. My other negative comment was that the hotel's hallway carpet could use replacement; it was fading.

The free breakfast isn't much--it could use a few more healthy options. But, it is free, and the coffee was acceptable.

Service throughout the stay was solid--free water, helpful staff, good housekeeping. The front desk staff was helpful with the few requests that I had.

The biggest attraction of this hotel was its location--right off of State Street, in the heart of Santa Barbara. It's a few blocks from the beach (including a great running/biking trail) and within walking distance of tons of shopping and numerous restaurants.

One recommendation: if you make your reservation far in advance (as I did), it might be worth continuing to monitor rates on the website. I'd reserved a couple of months in advance, and the rate dropped pretty substantially between my original reservation and when I checked again. So, I ended up saving a lot of money by altering my reservation.

I'll be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the positive comments! Our staff is always excited to read about happy guests. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room and its location. We are actually installing new hallway carpet starting this week. I agree that our location is a strong point, you should look into taking one of our complimentary bikes down to the beach next time. We hope to see you next time you're in Santa Barbara!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Friday night party zone...nearby bar with two fights outside in street between 11pm-1am and plenty of just plain yelling. If you're there on a weekend night, I suggest asking for a room away from the club and the street.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I agree, our building does have a lot of character and historic charm. I'm sorry to hear that street noise disturbed you during your stay. We strive to create a positive atmosphere for our guests and are currently working with the local area businesses to curtail the nightlife surrounding the hotel. We invite you to request a room on our quiet side next time you stay with us. We hope to see you next time you are in Santa Barbara.