WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara

Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara
Ranked #23 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Charleston, South Carolina
“Nice hotel in a great location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I've stayed here twice now... both times for business, although, I also lived in the city for 6 years and have been there many, many times on business. This hotel is in a GREAT location. It's right off of State street in the very walkable part of downtown. Tons of food options close by, including SB BrewCo right across the street. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Complimentary Breakfast is quite good compared to normal "free" hotel breakfasts. If you're here for a non-business trip, I'd recommend many of the restaurants nearby instead, but if you're here on business and need a quick bite to eat before getting to the office, you could do much worse. All rooms have a mini-fridge and the microwave downstairs is available 24-hrs. You can also get a complimentary gym pass to Spectrum which is not too far of a walk away. My company made the reservations and paid, and I did not have a car, although it looks like there is only valet parking.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for the great review. We appreciate the feedback, especially from our repeat guests like yourself. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast options and got a chance to use some of our extra amenities, like the complimentary gym day passes. We hope to see you next time you're in the area for business or pleasure!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed in Santa Barbara for 4 nights on business and chose to stay at the Holiday Inn Express again after a previous good experience. I'm happy to report that the hotel is still a good choice!

I arrived on a Friday evening. The parking lots of the hotel were stuffed, so I was pleased that there was a valet on-hand to help out. The valet gave great service on both Friday and Saturday night (it was back to self-parking on Sunday and Monday). Check-in was welcoming and efficient; I was assigned the room type I had reserved, with my room preferences for floor & location honored by the hotel.

The hotel is in a charming historic building, so it has a lot more character than your typical Holiday Inn Express. The rooms are on the small side, but my room was well-appointed with a comfortable king bed, a small desk, a dresser (flat-screen TV with excellent channel selection on-top), and an armoire. The room had exposed brick walls and pleasant decor. Internet was free and worked well. The only flaw came when the room didn't have a do-not-distrub sign. I asked the front desk to provide one, and it was promised that the staff would deliver one; they never did. My other negative comment was that the hotel's hallway carpet could use replacement; it was fading.

The free breakfast isn't much--it could use a few more healthy options. But, it is free, and the coffee was acceptable.

Service throughout the stay was solid--free water, helpful staff, good housekeeping. The front desk staff was helpful with the few requests that I had.

The biggest attraction of this hotel was its location--right off of State Street, in the heart of Santa Barbara. It's a few blocks from the beach (including a great running/biking trail) and within walking distance of tons of shopping and numerous restaurants.

One recommendation: if you make your reservation far in advance (as I did), it might be worth continuing to monitor rates on the website. I'd reserved a couple of months in advance, and the rate dropped pretty substantially between my original reservation and when I checked again. So, I ended up saving a lot of money by altering my reservation.

I'll be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the positive comments! Our staff is always excited to read about happy guests. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room and its location. We are actually installing new hallway carpet starting this week. I agree that our location is a strong point, you should look into taking one of our complimentary bikes down to the beach next time. We hope to see you next time you're in Santa Barbara!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Friday night party zone...nearby bar with two fights outside in street between 11pm-1am and plenty of just plain yelling. If you're there on a weekend night, I suggest asking for a room away from the club and the street.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I agree, our building does have a lot of character and historic charm. I'm sorry to hear that street noise disturbed you during your stay. We strive to create a positive atmosphere for our guests and are currently working with the local area businesses to curtail the nightlife surrounding the hotel. We invite you to request a room on our quiet side next time you stay with us. We hope to see you next time you are in Santa Barbara.
San Jose, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My reservation was 5 months away when I cancelled. When you book online, some weekends have a 48-hr cancellation policy, some have a no cancellation policy. I just happened settle on a weekend that had a no cancellation policy (again, 5 months away), and didn't notice the policy change (on the bottom, left, below the Submit button) for that weekend. I DID see the policy for 48 hrs cancellation when I was looking at different dates. Now if you already saw the policy, why would you have any reason to think it would be different otherwise?

I contacted the Hotel and IHG and they don't care about customer service - they got their $369 from me. They didn't even give me an incentive to return with some sort of credit or exception, so for this reason - I will never stay at HIE or any IHG affiliated hotels.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jesse D
Thank you for your review. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Thank you again for your feeback and please contact me through email if you would like to further discuss the issue. kscherr@holidayinnsantabarbara.com
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

We were visiting UCSB and the hotel was a little farther from the school than I would have liked. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was clean and quiet. The Internet service worked well. We had no problems with noise or parking.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the positive review. Our staff enjoyed reading your comments. We are glad that you were able to relax during your stay with us. We hope to see you next time you visit Santa Barbara!
SoCal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have family in SB and try to make this my standard location when I am in town. My family can easily meet up with us for dinner on State street where I can eat/drink within walking distance. This is essentially a boutique hotel (Hotel Virginia) which is now branded with the Holiday Inn Express badge. As a regular business traveler, that mean I can earn points or use points that I have accrued. Because it is an old hotel, parking is tight. The staff will valet your car for free when parking starts to become tight. They have maintained the beautiful old windows in the front of the hotel, so the bar across the street may be a little loud for some people. The rooms are very nice for a HIE, upgraded from the brand standard. This is not meant to be a hotel where you hang out all day, go out and enjoy everything downtown Santa Barbara has to offer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here as kind of a staycation (since we both live in Santa Barbara). The hotel is located just off state street so it is close to all of the night life and restaurants. Parking is kind of a pain because self parking there is never any spots, and you can get valet but it's quite pricy. The lobby of the hotel is quintessential Santa Barbara with glazed tile floors and rustic fixtures. They offer a continental breakfast in the morning (with some hot items as well). To get up stairs u have to take a set of wooden stairs, or a very tight elevator. We stayed right next to where the two let off on the first floor, so needless to say it was loud almost all night (stayed on a Friday night). The rooms were quite nice, with the bathrooms having nice tile floors and marble counter tops. The bed way a little firm but I like them that way. It of course has all the things you could want including flat panel tv and cable, a mini fridge, etc. The only real complaint is that it sits right on a busy road and across from a very busy bar/pool hall. So all night you can hear traffic (especially when it's raining) or people shouting. This is probably due to the fact we stayed on an outside facing room on the first floor. Overall this is a great selection for couple or families seeking night life or people here on business that have to be down town. Because the price is a little steep, young want to avoid this hotel and down town hotel period if you will be staying for an extended period, as they all tend to be very pricey (over 200 a night for a king)

• Stayed January 2013