“LOVE this hotel - it's all about location.”

Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara
Ranked #23 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
SoCal
“LOVE this hotel - it's all about location.”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have family in SB and try to make this my standard location when I am in town. My family can easily meet up with us for dinner on State street where I can eat/drink within walking distance. This is essentially a boutique hotel (Hotel Virginia) which is now branded with the Holiday Inn Express badge. As a regular business traveler, that mean I can earn points or use points that I have accrued. Because it is an old hotel, parking is tight. The staff will valet your car for free when parking starts to become tight. They have maintained the beautiful old windows in the front of the hotel, so the bar across the street may be a little loud for some people. The rooms are very nice for a HIE, upgraded from the brand standard. This is not meant to be a hotel where you hang out all day, go out and enjoy everything downtown Santa Barbara has to offer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Korean first
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here as kind of a staycation (since we both live in Santa Barbara). The hotel is located just off state street so it is close to all of the night life and restaurants. Parking is kind of a pain because self parking there is never any spots, and you can get valet but it's quite pricy. The lobby of the hotel is quintessential Santa Barbara with glazed tile floors and rustic fixtures. They offer a continental breakfast in the morning (with some hot items as well). To get up stairs u have to take a set of wooden stairs, or a very tight elevator. We stayed right next to where the two let off on the first floor, so needless to say it was loud almost all night (stayed on a Friday night). The rooms were quite nice, with the bathrooms having nice tile floors and marble counter tops. The bed way a little firm but I like them that way. It of course has all the things you could want including flat panel tv and cable, a mini fridge, etc. The only real complaint is that it sits right on a busy road and across from a very busy bar/pool hall. So all night you can hear traffic (especially when it's raining) or people shouting. This is probably due to the fact we stayed on an outside facing room on the first floor. Overall this is a great selection for couple or families seeking night life or people here on business that have to be down town. Because the price is a little steep, young want to avoid this hotel and down town hotel period if you will be staying for an extended period, as they all tend to be very pricey (over 200 a night for a king)

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank brl_182
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed here for one night on our way from santa monica to bay area. This hotel is very conveniently located right on the state street (which is the downtown area in SB) and one block away from the beach.
If you've never been to santa barbara, state street is absolute amazing place to hang out. So the location gives an edge to this hotel.

About hotel itself:
The service was quick and friendly. But We arrived there at 1 pm and check in was at 3pm so we asked them to see if the room would be available a little earlier. the front desk guy said he would call us asap but he called at 3.20 pm

Apart from this one thing, nothing to complain about the service

About the room:
Room was pretty spacious and clean. Had a nice flat screen HD tv with all the good channels. Can't complain about the room. One thing to note is: you can't park your car in front of your room... parking is a little far from the room. Also don't expect any good views from the room...
To be honest, it is a little pricey for the room ( we paid 150$ for one night)

About the complimentary breakfast:
Standard breakfast in the morning... pancakes, bagels , bread , frozen yogurt, coffee , eggs
decent

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

The location of this hotel is terrific, near State Street and walking distance to all we needed. The lobby was pleasant looking and the room was very comfortable and good sized. The staff was friendly.

When I pay this much and it includes breakfast, I expect to see healthy options that I can eat. We were up early and there was no sign of fruit. When we asked the front desk about this he said that there should be and that he would check into it. He offered to go get us some fruit and we said it wouldn't be necessary. Upon checkout we asked again and were told that it turned out to be a supply issue. It may sound small, but how I start my day with breakfast (usually fruit) is very important to me, especially when on the road and trying to maintain a somewhat healthy routine. Hopefully it was an unusual day and not the norm. It's a great place and this is the reason for 4 instead of 5 stars.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I've stayed in a few Holiday Inn Express hotels over the past years, but this was definitely not your "typical" HIE - definitely a BIT more upscale than their usual Express locations (although that was reflected in the price - approx. $170/night during the slow month of January...ouch!).

Overall it's a very decent hotel, located just steps away from key tourist areas in and around Santa Barbara. Walking distance to pretty much anywhere you'd want to go as a tourist, and fairly good dining options in and around the immediate area. Breakfast in the morning was fairly basic, but not too shabby to get your day started.

As you can see via the pics I've posted, the room itself is fairly basic, although the bed is comfy, the bathroom well stocked with the usual amenities, very clean with fast wireless and huge selection of TV channels - can't really complain. The overall "Spanish" theme/architecture of the hotel and rooms was pretty neat and made the hotel stand out a bit more. The balcony at the end of the hallway for guests was pretty nice, and you could catch a pretty nice sunrise/sunset view from there as well.

The parking is a bit tight, no doubt, but they seem to have a fair bit of space on either side of the building (for an additional $9/night).

Overall I think this is a pretty decent hotel choice (from the perspective of a tourist), although if you have access to a car I would think about considering other hotels in the area if price is a factor as this hotel is quite pricey. Although it's very nice, I don't quite see the full value of what was offered for the nightly room rate. 4/5 stars overall.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Vik_travel
Orange County, CA
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I spent the weekend before Christmas here and I must say it's one of the nicest H.I.E.'s I've been to. The reception area and room were perfect! Parking is a little cramped if you bring a large truck, next time we'll bring a smaller vehicle. Once I parked my beast I didn't want to leave fearing I'd loose my space.

It's located close (walking distance) to all the bars & restaurants we like on State Street. We walked to one of our favorite eateries in the harbor (Brophys) and it was probably a 2.5 miles walk one way, it was raining we still had good laugh wishing we would have taken a taxi.

We'll be coming back again this summer!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank prosailortim
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed for three nights in January. This hotel is in a very good location right off of State street which has the majority of shops, restaurants, bars, etc in S.B..
Room and hotel was very clean, the breakfast area was well stocked and full of a lot of choices.
My only suggestion would be to mae the wine and cheese reception they offer a little nicer. They served the wine in a small plastice cup with just a sample of the wine similiar to what you would get at a tasting. We have been to other hotels that offer this in a much better way.
For examplet use wine glasses and don't be afraid to offer a better pour.
If we were in S.B. again I would go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple