My friend and I pulled into Santa Barbara in the evening on our way to Los Angeles from Portland, Oregon without lodging reservation and not knowing where to stay. Since all we needed was a clean room and two warm beds, Holiday Inn Express in downtown seemed like a good bet. But what a surprise, we found ourselves in a historical landmark that’s on the National Register.
The original, known as Virginia Hotel, was built in the early 1900’s. Ravaged by age, it was closed in 1997. Afterwards, the property was renovated and operated as Holiday Inn Express. While the new hotel has all the modern comforts, including flat screen TV, free Wi-Fi, and climate control, the building retains its historical charms. Elements of its former Colonial Revival style can still be seen both inside and outside of the building.
The location is superb too, just around the corner from State Street where shops and restaurants abound. We had dinner at Cadiz, a Mediterranean Tapas and seafood restaurant, where not only the food was excellent, the hostesses could not be more helpful and friendlier. I don’t usually remember names from chance encounters, but I still remember Paige and Michelle because of the extraordinary experience.
Last but not least, the complimentary breakfast at the hotel was a surprise too. It did not look like much initially because it was self-service and everything was packed into one corner of the small lobby. But upon closer examination, it has the full monty – pastries, toasts, pancakes, eggs, yogurts, juices, coffee, tea, and more. The machine-made pancakes could be fluffier, but should one complaint, when they are free? (Of course, nothing is really free in a hotel when you have to pay for the room.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just a half block from State Street in historic Old Town Santa Barbara, the Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara provides luxury and convenience for the sophisticated traveler. Downtown shopping and restaurants are steps from your door, and the beach and Stearns Wharf are four blocks away. Enjoy a complimentary hot breakfast served weekly from 6:30AM-9:30 am and from 7 am to noon on weekends as well as free WIFI throughout the hotel. As a pet-friendly hotel, we welcome furry companions for $45/stay (up to 2 pets under 50 lbs.). We offer affordable parking to our guests at a rate of $14/day for 2016 and $16/day as of January 1, 2017 as well as complimentary bike rentals, and nearby, off-site swimming pool and 24-hour fitness facility access. Stay with us in the heart of Santa Barbara, where you are steps from all the city has to offer! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara Hotel Santa Barbara
- Holiday Inn Santa Barbara
- Santa Barbara Holiday Inn
- Santa Barbara Hotel