“fantastic motel in a great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Inn At East Beach

Inn At East Beach
Ranked #27 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“fantastic motel in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2009

We booked this motel three days before travelling there from San Diego, I read all the reviews carefully and was unsure but we were only there for one night and it was VERY close to the beach. On arrival we were met by the manager, Frank I think. Great guy, very friendly but I could see how some people could find hima nnoying. Great knowledge of local attractions and surroundings. The rooms were clean, spacious and cool. Big flat screen TV, modern bathroom - couldn't find anything to grumble about. The continental breakfast was amazing - loads on offer. The clientel were quiet and respectful of peoples noise levels. The pool was clean and there were loads of pool and beach toys that were free to use. Loads of free parking round the back. Nice area of town, a fifteen minute walk into Santa Barbara proper which was great, loads of families walking about. We walked home with our toddler in the dark and felt perfectly safe. In all, read the comments and reviews, but this place is a winner and we wished we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank betseyScotland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Polish first
oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2009

This was our 3rd stay at this wonderful inn. Frank the manager is great, larger than life and the font of all knowledge.
The rooms are large and clean.
On our last stay we had a 3rd person with us and requested a rollaway bed. The bed was the comfiest and largest we had over the two weeks travelling the west coast area.
The breakfast is always great , Frank insures that you don't go hungry.
The inn is only 1 road away from the beach so the location is great.
Would recommend this inn to anyone and will stay there again when I am in Santa Barbara

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
san jose, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

The Inn at East Beach is a wonderful place to stay while visiting beautiful Santa Barbara. The Inn is located walking distance to the beach and only a bike ride or car ride away from Stearns Wharf and State Street. Upon arrival, we were greeted by Frank, the general manager, who provided us with local guides. We were given a recently renovated room (I believe all the rooms have been renovated though). The room was modern and clean. I very much liked the fact that there was a refrigerator in the room. I had read reviews about the East Beach Grill (located on the beach, walking distance from the Inn) and the first morning wandered over there for breakfast. The second morning, we took advantage of the continental breakfast which was great! The staff provides a smorgasbord of breakfast pastries, bagels, along with the other typical breakfast goods such as cereal, oatmeal, juice, coffee, etc. They have beach chairs that you can borrow for sunning at the beach along with towels and toys. I would highly recommend the Inn to all visitors for their accommodations and above all, their very competent and friendly staff. I very much enjoyed my stay and wish I was back there now!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hyekoo78
Chinnor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Inn at East Beach after travelling on the West Coast and had one night in Santa Barbara. What a fabulous place! Frank was brilliant and gave us a free upgrade to a new decorated room which was very modern and comfortable. The continental breakfast was fab too! Good location - a couple of minutes walk to the beach and a 10-15 min walk to the pier. Would definitely recommend this place. Free parking too!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2009

Nice clean place, decent value but I was a little disappointed. It's like an upgraded motel experience. Somehow after reading the reviews and looking at the photos I was expecting a bit more. If you are looking more for a bed rather than a place to hang out, this place fits the order.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2009

Taking a leisurely trip around southern and central California and up the coast ... and was looking for a one-night place in SB that wouldn't bust the bank. And I found one in the Inn at East Beach. Think of an updated California roadside motel ... one that if it were down in Malibu or Santa Monica would cost a pretty penny. Roomy, clean, newly renovated. And flat-screen TV's are on the way. Frank - who manages the place for a small group of properties is truly a nice guy. Ask him about the history of the place - when President Reagan had his ranch nearby various goverment agencies used the inn as a home base. And a great spread for continental breakfast - everything from cereal to oatmeal ... toast, pastries and even hard boiled eggs. Hey - it's not chi-chi or frou-frou or precious. Good, basic accommodations. Steps from the beach. Plenty of parking.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank 5w30
Apple Valley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

today 6/17/09, I received an email from Inn at East Beach with their current special offers, which prompted me to check out tripadvisor to see what the current reviews were like and mostly out of curiousity to see if anyone else had mentioned/had the same problem that we did there 3 yrs ago...didn't see any mention of it so thought that I would, just because eh, I would want to know if I were reading the reviews to decide on this hotel/motel/inn.
like most have said, the hospitality was wonderful (if often seeming a bit forced from the seemingly loved/hated Frank), the breakfast great, the rooms very clean, the train often annoying & the prices, better than most in the area, not as good as the motel6 nxt door and eh sometimes seemingly excessive for what you are getting...now to the biiiiigggg butttttttt....
i will preface with, this was 3 years ago, perhaps (here I am hoping, hoping) things have changed since then or will in the near future...the lovely king suite that we had upstairs, with the fireplace & full kitchen, had NO air conditioning and NO window screens, the no air would have been fine if we could have only left the windows open, but with no screens, the room quickly filled with bugs & I quickly became bug bait, leaving our 3 nite stay with a stellar 14 mosquito bites, despite the fact that most of the time we kept the windows closed & sweated it out under the ceiling fan...for some I spose this isn't an issue, for myself it was.
I would love to see a response from management, hopefully that they have since either put screens on all of the windows that open and/or installed air conditioning (which I'm sure is rarely actually necessary in that particular climate/location).

so there is my exciting review, albeit 3 yrs tardy...all in all due to the window screen/air issue and cost...simply average, not above or below and if they have since corrected that issue, this would likely be a 4 star instead of 3 star review.

as far as recommending to a friend, i would say yes, but would warn them about the air issue first.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple