“Don't Judge a Book by its Cover”
Review of Inn At East Beach

Inn At East Beach
Ranked #32 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Los Angeles
“Don't Judge a Book by its Cover”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

At first glance, The Inn at the Beach may not look as impressive as the mega hotel across the street, but once you go to the front desk and get greeted by the fabulous Frank, all your worries will melt away. How do I describe Frank? You know when you're watching a romantic comedy and a couple is checking in to an exotic island hotel someplace, and they're greeted by a super enthusiastic, affable employee at the check in counter? It's so unrealistic because nobody ever encounters that in real life. Well, that is Frank, and he is real.

The rooms are furnished in a modern, calm, beachy decor that was gorgeous. The bathroom had a basket full of high quality shampoos and soaps. Our room looked like a studio apartment, with a full kitchen and dining table, and a flat screen TV on the wall. I just loved the vibe of our room. Housekeeping always kept the place neat and tidy. Now to the slight negatives. Because it is near the beach there is no air conditioning, so when we returned in the afternoon to freshen up before dinner, the room would be very stuffy and we'd have to blast the fan for a while. Also, during our stay multiple soccer games started at 7am across the street, with the shrill referee whistles and all. I understand that it is out of the control of the hotel, but we weren't able to sleep in on our relaxing weekend getaway.

Even so, the positives outweigh these slight negatives and I wouldn't hesitate to return if I come back to Santa Barbara.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank melonbar78
InnatEastBeach, Front Office Manager at Inn At East Beach, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so very much for your kind feedback! It makes me smile to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us! I do understand about our lack of air conditioning and hope to be able to incorporate that into our future endeavours! I am so very sorry to hear that the neighboring ball field caused you to enjoy your stay a little less! We do offer ear plugs, but I understand that isn't a comfortable option for everyone. I hope we are afforded the opportunity to see you again! Should we be, please feel free to contact me directly to make your reservation! While our studio rooms are close to the ball field, there are many other rooms that are not and I will be more than happy to help you find one to your liking!

Christina Montalvo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had a short but pleasant stay in the inn at east beach. The staff were super friendly and made us very welcome. It's just a 30 min walk along the beach to the pier where we had fresh crab for dinner, this inn is in a fantastic location and really close to the beach. Breakfast was good.

2 Thank agraham88
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

We were greeted by a "friendly" lady, we tried to ask where the car park was as checkin was busy, we were asked to wait, when we said we needed to know as the car was half out on the road, to which the lady turned quite sarcastic and curt. We booked through hotels.com, which had apparently incorrectly given us a discount which this lady attempted to refuse to give us, eventually she gave us another, equal value discount.
Fortunately our experience improved from then, the room was large and comfortable, as was the bed. The bathroom was ok, not on the same level as the bedroom, but clean and functional.
Breakfast was amazing, as much toast, bagels and pastries as you could eat. There was limited seating in the breakfast area, but you could take breakfast to your room.
Frank, the owner was managing breakfast, he was a very jolly American character.
Overall good value for money for the area.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Samiraktaylor
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback! This is the best way for us to learn about what is most important to our guests! I do apologize for the sarcastic, curt service you received! I agree that this should never happen! I will be sure to take every possible measure to ensure that does not happen again! I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the rest of your stay! I do hope that we will have the opportunity to see you again and turn that first impression around even further!

California
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights but my brother in law had booked the hotel so the credit card was in his name. Christina rang him as verification was needed that his card could be used (as he wasnt with us) she sorted this out quickly and was so nice and helpful.
The hotel was in a great location and the room was lovely, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the staff are literally the nicest most welcoming people we met on our trip.
Thank you and look forward to seeing you again in SB :-)

1 Thank Paul T
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Pros: Welcoming staff, attractive rooms, great breakfast

Cons: Not much seating at breakfast

We stayed for 1 night in sept 2013. We payed ~£65 for the night in a double room. We picked the hotel as it was recommended in rough guide and really enjoyed our stay.

We only stayed one night and arrived quite late but was greeted by the lovely Christina who was very welcoming. She was also helpful in recommending places to eat nearby. In fact, one of the definite pros of this hotel is the staff - we also met Frank the next morning who couldnt do enough to us helping out.

The room was fantastic - i was really impressed by the decor and the quality of the room. It was spotless, had a fan, cable tv. The appearance of the whole hotel was clean, tidy and really attractive. Hotel also has off-street parking and a pool (which we didnt end up going in). The breakfast was probably the best we had in our whole holiday - it was continental but had a great selection, including cereal, breads and fresh pastries. Only downside was that when we got our breakfast, there wasnt enough tables to have our own but ended up sharing with a really interesting couple that were also staying there so worked out well in the end!!

In terms of location, it was pretty easy to find off (and not too far from) route 1. Definitely seemed like a safe and quiet area. There are a few restaurants with a reasonable walk (a good 20-25 mins) but we had to drive to get within walking distance of the centre of town. Having said that, we were only 5mins max from the beach!

Would definitely stay here again/recommend to anyone thinking of staying in santa barbara! Thanks for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Based on our stay and what I saw, I dont think you can go wrong with any of the rooms here!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jen_and_Dave86
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed October 3, 2013

It pains me to write this review because you probably cannot find a nicer person than Frank, the GM of the place. However, I have to write an honest review of our experience and I do understand other people have had much better opinions.

The benefits: Value--the place offers free parking, free breakfast, free wi-fi, and free HBO. Plus, the hotel offers beach equipment since the hotel is less than a 5 minute walk to the shore. Location is a huge plus since you are not too far from downtown as well. Frank loves his guests and is probably Mr. Santa Barbara in terms of his knowledge of the area.

The not-so good: Our room was first floor and we could hear upstairs throughout the night, we even made a complaint to the front desk. But to no avail, the rooms next door were banging and moving at early hours (probably packing). Needless to say our nights were less than peaceful. The walls are thin and being on the first floor, I felt like everyone was looking in our room due to our location. The rooms themselves are clean and sufficient. The hotel is quite a bit older and the pool can hold only about 9 people max.

No question that the customer service here was A+. but alot of other things were not.

I give this hotel rating an average, 3/5 stars.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
InnatEastBeach, Front Office Manager at Inn At East Beach, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback! This is most important to us as it is how we learn what is most important to you! I am so very happy to hear that you enjoyed our personality! However, I do apologize that you were not able to truly enjoy your stay! We understand that our building is older and the soundproofing is less than exemplary. Updating our soundproofing is something we are trying to work into our future endevors! In the mean time, we do try our best to offer some solutions to noise issues, such as ear plugs, but I understand that may not work for everyone. During times when we are not fully occupied, we are more than happy to offer a different room where noise may be less of a factor, such as on the second floor. However, we are unable to do so when we are fully occupied as we had been during your stay and I apologize that we were not able to offer that to you! I hope we are awarded the opportunity to see you again and turn your first impression around! Please feel free to contact me directly prior to booking, and I will see that we get you a room on the second floor!

Northeast
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Booked two nights based upon reviews while relocating to the Santa Barbara area and then extended for another 3 nights in another room. Location is excellent - short walk to the great beach. Frank makes the entire experience very enjoyable especially during breakfast. He could moonlight as a standup comedian. Rooms are clean and acceptable, beds are comfortable with lots of pillows. The breakfasts is quite good with a variety of breads, muffins, bagels, juice, hard boiled eggs, cereal, etc.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank nehiker58
Dear Guest

I am so very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us at the Inn at East Beach! Thank you for your kind words! I will be sure that Frank sees this and to share it with the rest of our team! I do hope we have the opportunity to see you again on your next trip to Santa Barbara!