“Great food!”

Ranked #140 of 536 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Was looking for the name of this restaurant for a friend and noticed the "marginal" reviews. My husband and I ate here last hear and loved it. Can't remember what we ate but we've both talked about it since and agreed we're definitely going back when we return to Santa Barbara.

2  Thank ColoChick_11
There are newer reviews for La Playa Azul Cafe

Reviewed July 8, 2011

This is a quaint little restaurant off of the beaten path, so to speak. It is located near El Presidio Mission. The patio dining was enjoyable, appears to be an old converted house. Decorated nicely and lots of fresh Mexican dishes on the menu.

1  Thank DiabloDeb
Reviewed July 14, 2010

My wife and I found this restaurant by chance. It looked like a quaint and busy place frequented by the locals. The first time we had the Halibut fish tacos. They were very good. The salsa is only a little spicy, but very flavorful.
Our next trip two months later in July we were impressed from our first experience to have lunch. We had the Chicken Picado. It was also very good.
We live in Southern California, so we have ample experience with "real" mexican food. La Playa Azul is another take on the cuisine. Not as hot, but full of flavor. After a meal you can walk it off by visiting the Presidio, a very short walk away.

1  Thank b&bgreatadventurers2
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The salsa and chips is the best I ever had. Would recommend everything on the menu. My favorites are the halibut tacos and the vegetable burritos! The service is efficient and friendly. Great views of the historic Santa Barbara Presidio across the street from the outdoor patio.

Reviewed May 21, 2009

On our recent trip to Santa Barbara as barely thawed out Canadians we wanted to gorge on mexican and did so. Most of it was great but a group gathering from the conference I was attending picked out Playa Azul which was no better than what passes for Mexican food back at family chains in Canada. My wife's quesadillas were bland at best and unlike other Mexican restaurants we visited in Santa Barbara, no sauces were provided on the table nor were their salsa sides.My shrimp enchiladas were a limp and unsightly mess mixing like swampwater beside almost tasteless beans and some lukewarm rice. The shrimp were those tiny tasteless salad shrimp that are always on sale cheap at supermarkets. We had guacamole which, again, was the dullest version of this classic in town tasting like mashed avocado with very little additions.

Others in our group had meals that ranged from equally poor to a few that gave pleasure. The setting was lovely with a nice roomy patio and the waiters were attentive and well-meaning, but in a city where far better choices abound, steer clear.