“The best of the best”

“The best of the best”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Great experience.
The best please.
Great bar and Restaurant. This has been epic.
We love the rooms and the environment.
Best hotel in the US.
Fantastic value and service.
That river side is one of the best places with unviable trees and landscape.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Moros1
Sanysidroranch, The San Ysidro Ranch Team at San Ysidro Ranch, a Ty Warner Property, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
We are so pleased to learn of your recent experience at San Ysidro Ranch. We appreciate the kind words and hope that you are able to join us again soon.

The San Ysidro Ranch Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 31, 2013

First of all, it's an incredibly lovely property. The grounds are spectacular, if a bit dull (read: everything in order, everything in its place). The hiking trails are amazing. But for a hotel that bills itself as "the best hotel in the world" (apparently a moniker bestowed upon them by Forbes or Fodor's or some such at one point) it's left hopelessly wanting. For the price of our insanely expensive cottage ($1200 a night), here's what we got: the cottage is TINY. That's okay if you're in a big city, but in Montecito there's plenty of room. No reason for it to be so small we have to look at our luggage and figure out creative ways to put everything away. Not at that price. You could hear noise from the cottage next door - an absolute deal-killer for what is supposed to be a five star hotel at five star prices. There's no wi-fi and in general everything's a bit old-fashioned - in some ways charmingly so, in some ways just annoyingly so. They made a big deal of asking us at check in which newspaper we desired to have delivered in the morning, and then it wasn't even there - I had to call and ask again so we'd have the paper to read with our breakfast. (The Airport Marriot gets this right - surely the insanely expensive San Ysidro Ranch could do the same). The restaurant (The Stonehouse) was okay - very heavy food, a very old-fashioned menu (on the dessert menu, between the Crepes Suzette, the Baked Alaska, the Cherries Jubilee, the Bananas Foster and the Soufle, I literally felt as if I were dining at the finest establishment in New York - in 1958). And ABSURDLY EXPENSIVE. I want to be clear: I don't mind expense. I stay at five star hotels frequently and am used to paying top dollar for things. It's simply that in this case the expense was in no way justified by the experience. It's a lovely place, if you don't mind putting up with a few anachronisms. It should just cost literally half of what it costs, and then I'd give it five stars - and probably return. As it is - forget it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank LAT4839
Sanysidroranch, The San Ysidro Ranch Team at San Ysidro Ranch, a Ty Warner Property, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide information on your recent stay at San Ysidro Ranch. We realize there are many great destinations in California and are delighted that you chose The Ranch. Likewise, thank you for the kind words on our beautiful property and gardens. While we pride ourselves on being voted America’s Best Hotel we understand the importance of upholding such an award as well as the ability to adjust with the needs and desires of all our guests. It is the shared goal of the entire San Ysidro Ranch team to deliver a special and memorable stay to each and every guest. We appreciate your views on privacy, value and size and would like to assure you they have been heard and noted. Happily, our Stonehouse Restaurant is esteemed by a very discerning clientele and most are appreciative of the menu selections. Thank you again for choosing to travel to San Ysidro Ranch this spring. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for an even more enjoyable stay in the future.

Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I came for a two day get away without the kids. We had wanted to come for a decade or more and were very excited to stay at a place that boasts winning best hotel in the world, etc... awards. It is a beautiful, special place, with clean little cabins. At $1200. per night, our cabin was nestled between two others. It was "creekside" and while we could hear the creek, the neighboring cabin blocked any view of it. We could hear our neighbors coming and going in the cabin next to us and did not feel a ton of privacy. There was always a cleaning person around and we could here plenty of people talking most of the time. The cabin was tiny, with very little space to unpack. We have stayed at 5 star hotels in Asia and in New York where we encountered this but I expected more here, a bit more perfection I guess. When we checked in they asked us what choice of newspapers we'd like delivered in the morning (what a treat!) only to find that they forgot to deliver our papers! A request for steamed milk with our coffee from room service resulted in cold un-steamed milk. These things would not have bothered me but I expected more from this place I had dreamed about. The restaurant was absurdly priced and not locally sourced food (why does the butter need to come from France when there we are in California and have wonderful local food?) The food was heavy and we wish we'd eaten at the Plow and Angel instead of the Stonehouse. There is no recycling in the room, it felt very 1990's to me - no WiFi, and no way to turn on the very bright porch light that kept me up half the night before I went outside and unscrewed the bulb. (The front desk said this was for safety and I understand, but our bed was right next to the window and the shades did not block the light). This all said, the staff was wonderful, the service excellent, the grounds just beautiful. Really a stunning property. There is no spa, but we had massages in our rooms (very cramped but they managed to get two tables set up), and some peppermint oil spilled onto the pillow where my face rested and burned my skin so badly that I now have a dark mark on my face next to my eye two days later (it looks like a burn mark). The massage was great but I didn't expect to come home with scars from it. We thought this would replace our favorite hotel (Bardessono in St Helena, Napa Valley) but sadly I felt like it was expensive just because it always has been. Like East Hampton, Cape Cod, or Martha's Vinyard is expensive but rustic. But "Best Resort in the World"? No. I can check it off my bucket list for travel destinations but will not feel a real urge to do more than stroll the grounds again. Staying the night was not really that special.

Room Tip: If money is no object maybe go for the biggest cabin you can. Perhaps they will be nicer than our e...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Stephanie H
Thank you for taking the time to provide information on your recent stay at San Ysidro Ranch. We realize there are many great destinations in California and are delighted that you chose to spend your weekend away at The Ranch. Likewise, thank you for the kind words where our staff and gardens are concerned. It is the shared goal of the entire San Ysidro Ranch team to deliver a special and memorable stay to each and every guest. While we pride ourselves on being voted America’s Best Hotel we understand the importance of upholding such an award as well as the ability to adjust with the needs and desires of all our guests. We appreciate your views on privacy, value, etc. and would like to assure you they have been heard and noted. Thank you again for choosing to travel to San Ysidro Ranch this spring. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for an even more enjoyable stay in the future.

New Jersey, USA
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed at the Ranch for two days last April as part of a week in Santa Barbara. It was everything I had dreamed about and more. It is the ultimate romantic experience. Everything in the room is aesthetically pleasing. The attention to detail is to be commended.

We had dinner at the restaurant on our first evening. For our second evening we visited a local gourmet deli for take-out. We enjoyed a picinic right at our cottage. Both nights were wonderful. I spent one afternoon walking through the gardens while my husband played golf. It is such a tranquil spot. If you are looking to relax in luxury in the middle of the best that nature has to offer, this is the place.

Breakfast is delivered to your room. We ordered a little extra as this is our favorite meal of the day. I can't even begin to tell you how great this was eating this gorgeous breakfast sitting in our very private out-door area overlooking the countryside. Wow.

I purchased one of their adorable little pigs that appear throughout the ranch. I'm so glad I did. Now when I see my pig each day, I'm reminded of our wonderful stay at San Ysidro Ranch.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Sanysidroranch, San Ysidro Ranch Team at San Ysidro Ranch, a Ty Warner Property, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay. We appreciate your thoughts and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back The Ranch for another enjoyable stay!

Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I'm from Santa Barbara(born and raised all my life) and visit the Ranch often for special dinners. I had been on the grounds and visited the restaurant (both Stonehouse and Plow and Angel) many times before my husband brought me there to stay the night for our anniversary. To say I was delighted is an understatement. First, you will find no more beautiful of a place( and special) as San Ysidro Ranch. Its breathtakingly romantic in every way....the mountains, the flowers, grounds etc are beyond. I also love the style and the way they mix older furnishings with todays luxuries. I actually read some earlier negative reviews from some people that mad me laugh. If you don't like San Ysidro, you simply are a lost cause...and prob find something wrong with any and every hotel you stay at. Sure, there might be a forgotten thing here or there but its ok and you move on. Anyways, I loved our cottage. It was extremely private, well appointed and luxurious in everyday. The staff was amazing...the food at both restaurants is excellent and the staff is the best you will find in Santa Barbara. It is hands down the best place to stay for romance bar none. I will go back time and time again.....

Room Tip: Go for the rooms with the plunge pool and outdoor rain shower!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sanysidroranch, General Manager at San Ysidro Ranch, a Ty Warner Property, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to offer such a kind review. We are delighted you had the opportunity to fully experience San Ysidro Ranch and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back!

Seamus McManus
Managing Director
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night in an ocean view cottage with an outdoor jacuzzi. It was gorgeous! everything was so clean and well presented. Staff must really work hard to maintain the property to such a high standard.

I really LOVED the door sign with our names - a great touch.

Room service was perfect.

We ate at the Plow and Angel in the outside area which was just beautiful. Very romantic with all the twinkly lights. I had the tofu vegetarian option from the menu and I must say it was very disappointing - lacking in flavour and not presented too brilliantly. However, my husband's food was good.

We did have a slight problem with our i phones connecting to the wifi although the hotel immediately tried to fix this issue. But, to be honest, we should just learn to be disconnected sometimes!

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Beautiful setting, and an opportunity for a truly discrete, relaxing getaway. Be aware that there is significant variation in the room/cottage types. Skip the low end, at it is just not worth it: the rooms are tiny, no view, and the traditional decor starts to feel like you are staying in your grandmother's small guestroom. The Stonehouse restaurant is very pretty, but perhaps just dine there once, as the menu does not change (and dress warmly: the restaurant is functionally out of doors, so it can be very chilly). The hotel, as it is currently operated, seems to be missing a beat on service and amenities. For example, the hedges are currently trimmed a foot too high, preventing a proper ocean view from some cottages. Food and beverage service needs improvement: it was something of a cruel joke to be served orange juice (billed as "fresh squeezed") from a carton at breakfast while gazing at the gorgeous citrus groves just outside your window.

Room Tip: This is a very expensive hotel, so if you are going to splash out do it right: the smallest rooms ar...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank JohnByng
Sanysidroranch, Manager at San Ysidro Ranch, a Ty Warner Property, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
We thank you for taking the time to explain your past experience at the San Ysidro Ranch. We are grateful that you chose to spend time with us. Our Stonehouse restaurant has very strong support in the community and our Chef does update the menus dependent on the seasons to ensure the freshest ingredients and products are used. Our herb and vegetable garden changes seasonally and guests often see our chefs picking the best ingredients for each night of service.

We pride ourselves on the rich history of the property and that of the citrus trees which can be found throughout the property. Our kitchen freshly squeezes our orange juice daily to allow the finest product to be delivered to our guests. We are not sure of your comment regarding the carton of orange juice, but assure you this is not an acceptable practice at this property. San Ysidro Ranch prides itself on the tranquility and beauty of the grounds to allow a peaceful and refreshing stay.

Thank you again for providing your experience and we hope to welcome you back to the Ranch in the future!

Colan Vance