“Nice place”

Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Huntington Beach, CA
“Nice place”
Reviewed August 12, 2008

Very close to the beach. The exterior of the motel is nothing special. Rooms have been recently renovated- everything appeared new or near new. Bathroom was tiny but nice. Small refrigerator and free wi-fi were nice touches. Free breakfast was also a nice touch.

Main portion of State Street is about a 15 or 30 minute walk (depending on how fast you walk).

Could hear people walking in room above us, but they went to bed about the same time we did, so no big deal.

Motel is right on the street, so road noise was an issue with the sliding glass door open. When it was closed, the road noise was not an issue.

It is probably one of the better deals in Santa Barbara. For kicks, we came back and checked the prices of a few places we walked by that we thought looked nice. They were roughly the same price or more.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank HuntingtonBeach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Mount Prospect, Illinois
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We switched to the West Beach Inn after reading reviews of cockroaches about our already booked hotel. The inn was pretty bland on the outside, not much can be done to its 1960s concrete stucco exterior. It has a nice location, good price for the area, and nice interiors. From looking at the outside, the room interiors were a lot different. Apparently the inn was updated recently so the rooms were modern in their decor and furnishings. I would recommend this hotel.
The beach in Santa Barbara though I didn't find it all that exciting.

• Liked — The interior decor and furnishings.
  • Disliked — Hotels are overpriced in this area.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank obscurearch
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed June 28, 2008

for the price, go next door to the Harbor Inn, which is stunning and modern in comparison.
The hotel location was convnient , about 15 min walk from State street, but aside from the location, the hotel felt more like a motel! it was old fashioned with a motel like breakfast. For the first time in my life I was given paper plates and plastic cups.. it was a very strange..
For the price they charge, one would expect a decent buffet, instead the selection is very very limited. I'd recommend to grab a breakfast from one of the lovely restaurants nearby.. The breakfast was so depressing it took me a while to get over it!
The rooms are clean , service was pleasant. The pool is tiny and the furniture all round is oldish and not very attractive. All in all, I wouldnt return, I did check out the Harbor Inn next door, it looks fantastic and I would prefer to pay a higher price and get my money's worth.

• Liked — location, & great Italian restaurant nearby
  • Disliked — price was too high for value!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank TravelVav
West Bend
Reviewed May 28, 2008

My friend and I travelled to Santa Barbara to attend a wedding and chose the West Beach Inn for the good reviews and value. We were not disappointed - the room was just lovely, the location was great - close to State Street (loved the trolleys). The continental breakfast was just a perfect way to start the day - although there is not much seating inside, there are patio tables outside or take it back to your room. The free wine and cheese and crackers in the afternoon was a very nice touch. Only used the pool once, but it was very nice and clean. Santa Barbara is a beautiful city to visit - we walked all over or used those darling little trolleys. Would definitely come back to the West Beach Inn.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — liked it all
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tootzi
New Jersey
Reviewed May 16, 2008

We booked this hotel after reading the other positive reviews on Tripadvisor. Stayed two nights with two teenage daughters and we all loved it. The bathrooms were nicely appointed and clean. A tad small but fine. Rooms were very spacious and beds were awesome. Pool and jacuzzi a hit with all of us. Very nice continental breakfast for something quick. Convenient location if you want to walk to State St. with all the shops. Would definately stay again.

• Liked — Beds
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank deebs76
la
Reviewed May 11, 2008

For a more reasonable price, it would've been average, or even a bit above, but at the price we paid, it did not deliver so I have to say it was below average. We paid extra for a balcony, but the view was mostly of a parking lot and there was a lot of street noise, so it didn't work out to be much of a benefit. Also, there were "safety" lights that lit up the patio and stayed on all night, which meant we could not keep the curtains open to enjoy any ocean breezes that might reach the room. The breakfast was nice but the breakfast room was...well, there was no breakfast room, just a few tables crammed together in the lobby. The food was ok but served with small plastic plates and forks, which I think is tacky when you're paying upwards of $300 a night and shows utter disregard for the environment. I see all these good reviews and I wonder why. It annoys me again at how cheated I felt. I did write a letter to voice my concerns and got a snippy answer that they felt justified in charging their prices because they thought they were cheaper than most SB hotels. I guess they believe that, but I don't know if it's true. I am annoyed that I paid luxury prices for a nicely appointed motel room. I am envious if you have a better experience at a more reasonable price.

• Liked — The room was nicely furnished, good bed
  • Disliked — Luxury prices for motel experience
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sosoLa
Stockton, CA
Reviewed May 5, 2008

I picked this hotel based on the positive reviews on Tripadvisor and was not disappointed! We had booked two single queen rooms (2 nights); one room for I and my boyfriend and another for his father who is wheelchair bound. The customer service was wonderful. They even offered the handicapped room, when they noticed our father was in a wheelchair. (However that room is more expensive and with a kitchen, etc. We decided not to take it, due to the extra expense and extra space we didn’t need.) The gals at the desk were very nice and accommodating. They even called our taxi’s for us. We were pleasantly surprised by our hotel rooms. Our room was updated with modern decor, which was quite impressive. The bathroom sink area had granite countertops and upgraded faucets. Plus, each room had flat screen tv's! Very classy looking, very clean. We stayed in room numbers 204 and 210. Both rooms on the second floor and both garden suites. (They have a small elevator, also.) The garden grounds were beautiful! Beautiful palm trees, shrubs and flowers....lot's of birds singing...it was very relaxing! There’s even a lounging area on the second floor outside of the rooms where you could sunbathe or just read a book, while enjoying the great view of the gardens and ocean too. (We could see the ocean from outside the door of the 204 room.) The beds were very comfortable and the pillows were perfect! We slept wonderfully! After housekeeping they even leave little chocolate squares at your bedside, which was a nice little touch!! Both rooms are small, but the modern decor really made up for it in my opinion. They did a great job on decorating the rooms, from the modern lamps to the modern artwork on the walls, (which were nicely framed), even to the bedspread. It was like looking at a magazine. Each room came with two complimentary bottles of water. (Additional bottles cost $3/each, so just walk to the 7/11 close by and stock up, because there's also a small fridge in each room.) They have a heated pool and spa, with extra pool towels near the pool area for convenience. (So don’t bother bringing your hotel towels.) The pool and spa area was very clean and a lot of fun! They do offer a generous continental breakfast every morning, which included wonderful assortment of pastries (croissants, fruit danishes, muffins, coffee cake), yogurt, fruit, bagels, coffee, juices, etc. Much better assortment than any hotel we’ve been to. Plus, they offer fresh fruit and coffee throughout the entire day. The hotel is not far from State Street, which is where all the exciting stuff is! (Don’t miss seeing the Dog, Cat, and mouse all sleeping on each other!) If I were to give any advice to this hotel, I would recommend replacing the floor tile in the bathrooms. The tile is such that it looks dirty, due to the texture on it—it’s probably hard to clean. Only other recommendation is to include at lease 1 or 2 folding luggage stands, since there’s not a lot of space in the room, we had to place our luggage on the two guest chairs. I would have loved the extra room to sit down and make calls to future destinations, etc. Overall, I suggest staying at this hotel! It was a really great stay, definitely worth it! I would stay there again!

• Liked — Modern decor, beds, pillows
  • Disliked — dirty looking bathroom tile floor
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple