“Great location, clean room”
Review of Villa Rosa Inn

Villa Rosa Inn
Ranked #11 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 2, 2008

I've read the other reviews and it seems almost all are true - it just depends on what your expectations are and what you are used to/willing to accept.

BTW, I stayed in room 5, which was at the end of the hall, downstairs next to the exit door. My room-specific comments apply to this room only.

Good points
Location: It's located within a few minutes walk of Stearns Wharf, the train station, and car rental agencies. It's also close to State St. but you'd have to walk for about 15 minutes to get to the hopping part of downtown. (Note: If you travel by train, I'd walk from the station to the hotel and rent a car when needed)
Cleanliness: The housekeepers came every day and restocked the toiletries.
Food/beverage: They had continental breakfast, wine/cheese, and port/cognac at different times of the day (Note: they did not have the port/cognac out, but I asked and the staff brought it promptly out). The lobby was cozy.
Staff: The staff were friendly (young women attending the local city college).

Here's what's not so impressive.
Decoration: Decor is dated. The furniture and bedding were in good condition and matched. They had shutters on the window - some were loose and did not work. The sink was in the bedroom. The bathroom had very old fixtures. There was a window in the shower - the window did not completely close (wooden windows), which led to the bathroom being cold. The window was covered by vinyl horizontal shades to maintain privacy. There were 2 swinging arm lamps (1 on each side of the bed). The lamp shade was loose as was the on/off switch.
Old structure: The door to the hallway was not air tight. It moved a little when the door across the hallway was opened or closed (this was the housekeeping storage room). The windows are not double-paned and so some noises were annoying. We didn't have too much of a problem except on Monday, our last day. The housekeepers were chatting outside the exit door, which was really close to our room. You can also hear the train whistle at night, but this is not very often and was not a problem for us.

Other notes: Room 5 has a view of the ocean and wharf. It was a good view but only visible when walking by 1 window or sitting on the toilet! Get to breakfast early. I went 1 hour before it was over and the housekeepers were eating the food - not that I don't want to eat with them, but they used all the waffle batter. I love waffles.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CaroB73
There are newer reviews for Villa Rosa Inn

Reviewed November 15, 2007

Found Villa Rosa in the Loney Planet guide and glad we did. The hotel has an old world charm, but has all the modern faciliites expected of a smallish boutique establishment. Service was friendly and helpful, and the breakfast and happy hour were adequate and a nice touch.

Best aspects are the location and ambiance - we went for a swim though the water was pretty cold! Bathroom was bit spartan but overall I would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank GrantandTracey
Reviewed September 6, 2007

Was a bit worried about staying here after reading some of these reviews. I hope my photos tell the true story.

On arrival we were greeted by friendly, helpful and pleasant front-desk staff. Free wine and cheese from 5pm-7pm every night was plentful and delicious. Free tea, coffee and cookies were available 24/7. Breakfast from 7am-10am was free too consisting of a choice of cereal, either raisin bran or granola; grill your own waffles with syrup and whipped cream; butter and jellies, bagles, pastries, English muffins, bread, yoghurt, fruit. Rooms were large and beds and pillows extrememly comfortable, and i have a bad back so i should know. Bathroom was modern, most of all the price was right. We paid around $230/night. We were in room 6 on the 1st floor. We had a patio and table and chair, it was a little more private than the rooms facing onto the pool. Upstairs rooms have a balcony. The Villa Rosa inn was quiet and relaxing compared to other hotels in town which had some rowdy people on the balconies. There's a massage service which will come to your room but we didn't use it.

The Inn is steps from the beach, shops and restaurants. Great to be able to have a drink and not worry about having to drive home.

As for the bad points, there's no a/c. There's a ceiling fan and a floor fan. A couple of hot evenings we came home to a very musty smell, so we opened the patio doors to let the room air out. In the evenings, the room was dark with inadequate lighting. I agree with the previous poster who said the tub could be difficult to get in and out of. The fawcetts worked without any problems and all light fixtures were intact. Yes, i'd agree the furniture is old, but it isn't frayed and there were definitely no stains. The bed linens and towels were fresh and clean.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RNnyusa
Reviewed August 21, 2007

The only thing nice about Villa Rosa is their website. The pictures made the B&B look nice and very quaint, but it wasn't anything like that in person. This B&B is obviously run down and not cared for. The bed in our room was rock hard. Not joking I think the floor might have been more comfortable. The chair in the room was worn so badly that you could actually see the fabric fraying. The light fixture in what they called a bathroom was falling down and the bathtub... well let's just say it was disgusting. I was upset, but didn't want to spoil the nice weekend I was having with my boyfriend so I didn't complain during my stay like I should have. When I got back home I called and spoke to the manager about the disappointing stay. She agreed that the hotel is VERY outdated and that it needs to have a major overhaul. However she was unwilling to do anything other than say that yes I was right. Oh well.... You win some and you lose some. I would NEVER stay at this place again and unless major renovations have taken place I would recommend that others pass on this one as well. Not worth the price!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank amcgookin
Reviewed March 13, 2007

This is a small hotel located on a quiet street near Stearns Wharf. It is a block from the beach but does not have beach views. It is an older building in the faux Spanish Santa Barbara style. It has a quiet pretty courtyard with a pool, which I did not try.

The rooms are large. Several light fixtures in our room needed new bulbs, which were promptly provided. The fixtures are quite dated and the amenities mediocre. The shower would be very awkward for an elderly or disabled person to get in and out of and the taps were cranky and hard to adjust. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

The hotel provides a wine and cheese buffet in the evenings and a very nice breakfast, including fresh fruit, breads, hard boiled eggs, and cereal.

With a little more maintenance, some sprucing up, and more attention to detail, this could be a really charming place to stay. As it is, it is reasonably priced in a very expensive area and not a bad place to stay. Certainly preferable to a big, modern, busy, cookie-cutter hotel on a busy street.

The main business center of Santa Barbara is several blocks away. Dining options right around the hotel are limited but there are several good seafood places on the wharf.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank wguterbock
Reviewed February 18, 2007

This Inn could be a "stellar" little inn. The "bones" as they say were beautiful, but the quality of the rooms and ammenities was very poor. In Room 17 the bed is so far off the ground I had to have help getting into it and so hard I slept on the bolster pillows. This was Valentines week end and we checked out after one night. I would LOVE to see some love and work spent on this place...all the basics are there in abundance......just no love and care. We visit Santa Barbara several times a year as it's our place......we will not stay here again. PS The staff was delightful and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Roaming_Again
Reviewed February 7, 2007

The staff were incredible helpful and friendly. We arrived very late but that didn't cause any problems. The rooms need a bit of modernising but there was nothing uncomfortably poor.

Breakfast was pleasant and there was plenty of food. Having a glass of wine and some cheese every evening was delightfully decadent, sitting by the fire. It is within easy reach of the city centre and the beach.

I would recommend this place for the free internet and toasted waffles, and I hope I can stay here the next time I visit Santa Barbara. Marvellous!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Zemogle