“Vacation space” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
los angeles
“Vacation space”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay! The (Queen) room was VERY spacious and felt luxurious -- the bed and beddings, especially. The bathroom had plenty of space as well and the fixtures were very inviting. I really appreciate the water filter that I used to fill up my portable water bottle which I then stored in the in-room refrigerator. I brought two wine bottles from different tasting rooms and kept them stored there as well. There was an ice bucket and drinking glasses.

There was a desk with lamp, phone, and hotel stationery. There was a wardrobe with plenty of hangers and drawer space. There was an iron and full ironing board.

I liked the in-room temperature control and lighting. The lights were the adjustable type (the type that slides depending on how much brightness you want). When I set the lights closest to the bed to their lowest setting, they weren't completely off but enough to provide some dimmed lighting which provided for a cozy feeling throughout the night.

The TV was nice with plenty of channels including free HBO. There was a separate DVD player and remote control but I didn't use it.

I did a LOT of walking and exploration during the day and returning to my room was a nice vacation space for evenings of rest and relaxation which I always looked forward to.

It was a very pleasant stay at a reasonable price and I am anxious to return again soon!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank blgrn8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Freeland, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2011

This is a wonderful hotel. My room was large, clean, quiet, comfortable, and beautifully furnished. The bed was superb, and the above average linens contributed to a good night's sleep. The manager at the front desk greeted me warmly and was helpful throughout my stay. The location is ideal, the parking is free, and the continental breakfast is satisfying. I agree with the many other reviewers who found this hotel to be an outstanding value. I look forward to staying here again on my next trip to Santa Barbara.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Joanne H
Campbell
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

My wife and I spent 2 nights at this quaint Inn. Upon calling in to make reservations, Dan the GM was outstanding! He walked me through the process; explained the amenities and benefits of staying at their Inn. Once we arrived we weren't disappointed. The Inn is truly charming with an ideal location...and reasonably priced! Dan was our conceirge. He knows the area in depth. Everything he recommended from restaurants to site seeing was spot on. Because of Dan; we booked an extra night's stay. If you are looking for a charming, tastefully decorated, quiet, perfectly located Inn. Look no further; this is the place!! Cheers, Frank from Campbell, CA.

Room Tip: Go for the larger rooms...has couch, spacious and superb beds!!
2 Thank Frank L
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

My fiancé and I were in town for a course and we couldn't have been happier with our hotel choice. It's so close to the beach, steps away from State street, rooms are clean, soft mattresses, great bathrooms, but the best of all is the personalized service from the front desk. Dan made our stay outstanding and we will certainly be back on our next trip in SB. Merci!

3 Thank A_and_R007
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2011

If you want a place where the prices are fair, the rooms are warm and inviting, the beds are huge and soft and the service is excellent, stay in the Castillo Inn. We were so impressed with this charming inn right off the main street near the wharf. It's only a 10-15 minute walk to State street and only a stroll from cafes and restaurants.

However, the best part of our stay was the service we got from the manager, Dan. So helpful, informative and it was obvious how much he loved Santa Barbara, dubbing it the 'most beautiful' town in California...and he could be right. He suggested a FANTASTIC restaurant called 'The Palace'. Eat there!

Loved Santa Barbara and the Castillo Inn.

Room Tip: Very close to marina. Nice walks to take near hotel.
1 Thank DaveNjess
Southern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

Overall, the Castillo Inn is a good value but beware that this seems to just be a renovated motel. They did a great job with the renovation - nice size room, big bathroom, and the deluxe rooms have a small patio area in the back. The two biggest drawbacks are the unpleasant front desk guy and how amazingly noisy it is in the morning. The front desk guy was unwelcoming right when we checked in and stayed this way our entire stay. He was even short with me when I checked out because I didn't understand something he said. But alas, I didn't have to interact with him too much. The most annoying part was how loud and inconsiderate the housekeeping staff was in the mornings. Probably doesn't help that the walls are incredibly thin so everything is amplified. The hallways are tiled so when the housekeeping cart is rolled around, you can't help but wake up! Also, not sure why the housekeeping staff thinks it's a good idea to clean windows (including taking off screens) in the morning when people might still be sleeping rather than later on in the afternoon. There are several other inns on the same street, so my advice is to look into these as well.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 00nico
Visalia, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

This small 1950's motel has the charm you expect in Santa Barbara. The rooms are completely updated and very attractive, as well as clean. And that includes the carpet and tile floors. The beds were very comfortable. Definitely a place for walking and enjoying the ocean. There's much more to see and I would stay at the Castillo Inn again.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family