“Don't stay here even if you are on a budget”
Review of Orange Tree Inn

Orange Tree Inn
Ranked #40 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
San Francisco, California
“Don't stay here even if you are on a budget”
Reviewed August 31, 2004

We stayed here one night because we were on a budget. It is not worth the savings. The faucet in the shower would not turn off and maintainance never came to fix it (we checked out and the water was still running), ants in the bathroom, super thick pillows that were impossible to sleep on, gross carpet. I can't believe I stayed here one night. You are better off to stay at the Motel 6 near the beach and take a taxi to State Street for shopping and restaurants.

14 Thank Kim V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2004

We stayed here for one night in early August and found it to be excellent, the room was newly decorated, clean and very spacious and we had our own balcony that was nice come the evening. The hotel is around 2 miles from the beach at the other end of State Street, however it is only around half a mile to the hustle and bustle of the town where there are numerous bars and restaurants and we certainly enjoyed the walk. The only thing that let this place down was the breakfast, no more then a coffee and a cake. We stayed on a Thursday night so it was also not too expensive, the price doubled come the weekend.

• Stayed August 2004
12 Thank NG-Lon
Reviewed May 17, 2004

We veered off the beaten path of always going with Best Western and went with another hotel option - The Orange Tree Inn. I took my two kids and mother to this hotel, as it was rated a 3-star by AAA. I don't know what scale they went off of, but they were dead wrong. This was more of a motel experience. It was the worst class motel stay we've had in about 12 years. We would have been better off with Motel 6 if we wanted to go the motel route. The room was TINY (small doesn't do it justice). The bathroom was just big enough to turn around to shut the door. I booked this online and got a room that said "Newly renovated, large room with balcony or patio and is poolside." When we arrived we were told that was the Lemon Tree Inn, up the street. We got no discount for such a discrepancy. I am only giving this motel two stars because the service staff was excellent in bringing extra towels and pillows. They also mailed back some clothing items we had inadvertantly left behind and I appreciated that. Otherwise I would give it a 1 star. Next time I'll know just to stick with Best Western.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Santa Barbara hotels

Reviewed April 18, 2004

I felt that the room and surrounding area of the hotel was not worth the amount they charged for the room. It was very dated. The bathroom was small. So was the T.V. The room seemed clean, but there was only a shower stall in the bathroom and it was small. They did not do a great job covering up the connecting door to the adjoining room. You could probably find a nicer place at the same price.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 31, 2003

I wasn't big on this place because the carpet was like a dark blue (almost black). You didn't know if it was dirty or not but there were signs that the maid did not vacuum up crumbs in some spots so I never was bare foot. Which was annoying. Very old looking inside. The shower was a dark small hole with an old shower curtain that was wet. The bathroom was super small. I only spent one night here and if I didn't like it at all. It seems like the type a place you would bring a hooker to. If your on a budget go to the Best Western where at least you get a clean and updated room. You still have to drive to the heart of downtown State street from this location too. You can't walk it is too far of a walk.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member