Stayed here for Memorial Day weekend, opening of busy season in Santa Barbara. Mason Beach is OK budget lodging that is good for those who like to walk into town (about 12 - 15 minutes) or to harbor and beach area (3 minutes). The so-called free wireless internet signal is very weak, in Room 222 it worked only intermittently so we gave up and had to go to the lobby to use the guest PC unit. If you have real computer/online work to do, this is not the place to stay.
Room 222 is at end of hall - roomy but dark with only one window. Fridge had been turned off so when we arrived it reeked. nice to have microwave in room too. One night after eating too many fancy meals we picked up carry out Mexican from Rudy's down the street. HUGE portions, so we over-ordered. We could have easily split one entree with a side of guacamole and mole sauce/chips.
We ate out at a a couple of new spots, Julienne and Cadiz this trip. Both are upmarket locations that have glommed onto small plates (small servings for high prices). Cadiz is really a nightclub that serves food - deafeningly loud but good people watching later in the evening. Both were competent and good additions to Santa Barbara which is notoriously stocked with bad restaurants that look nice at the entry way but they count on the fact you won't be back as a tourist/visitor. We used to live in Santa Barbara and found this to be the case then too.
Went back to our old reliable, Endless Summer Cafe at the harbor to sit on their renovated outside patio on ground floor (great, what took you so long!). Best burger in town, with a million dollar view.
Shopped on State Street. The Macy's downtown has a very small and understocked petites department. Better downtown that the upper State location that we went to check for something and found the story pretty deserted/understocked as well for such a large location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mason Beach Inn is within walking distance of beautiful West Beach and the oceanfront bike path, the Santa Barbara Yacht Harbor, Stearns Wharf, and the shops and restaurants on beautiful State Street in downtown. Santa Barbara’s world-class golf courses and renowned wineries are just minutes away.45 Well-appointed guest rooms, suites all non-smoking Year round heated swimming pool and SpaDeluxe continental breakfast Winter monthly and weekly rates available Complimentary wireless Internet service Front Desk Available 24 hrsMultilingual staff ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Mason Beach Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mason Beach Hotel Santa Barbara
- Mason Beach Santa Barbara