“Bed Bugs!!!!”
Review of Mason Beach Inn

Mason Beach Inn
Ranked #29 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Stayed at Mason Beach Inn for Memorial Day Weekend in 2011. We arrived on Friday night and and went to bed right away. The next morning I woke up with 12 itchy bites on my left forearm, left wrist, left hip, right forearm, and right shoulder. The bite locations were in the typical bed bug pattern of 2-3 bites in a line. I tried not to worry right away (I've had an experience with bed bugs before and they are a NIGHTMARE) but as the day progressed, the bites got more and more prominent. The next day they were painful, swollen, and turned into large oozing boils. I am more sensitive than most to bug bites and can at times have strong allergic reactions to bug bites. So it's possible my husband and two small children (under 4) got bitten as well and they just don't have reactions to the bites like I do.

We were so busy with a wedding we were there for that I didn't get a chance to ask for a room change until Sunday morning. That Saturday night I didn't sleep at all but attempted to sleep in the bed my daughter slept in because it was as far away as possible from the spot I was sleeping in the night before.

On Sunday morning, the hotel staff was not helpful. They didn't even care to look at my bites, just whisked us upstairs for a room search with a couple members of the hotel cleaning staff. They didn't find anything that looked like bed bug evidence but they also weren't able to check behind a picture frame above my side of the bed or behind an outlet on that side. She did find two dead spiders in the bed (gross!), and seemed to think that was sufficient. I so wish the bites were from spiders because then I wouldn't have to worry about bringing bed bugs home with me. The hotel staff gave us a new room to stay in. Believe me, if there was vacancy elsewhere in town, we would have preferred to switch hotels but being Memorial Day weekend, a lot of hotels were booked up all three days.

This hotel was pretty pricey but the value for the money we spent was non-existent! The rooms were small and unattractive, internet service was VERY slow, the "heated" pool was cold, and the complimentary breakfast was lame. The one thing the hotel had going for it was the location. Two blocks from the beach. Also the downstairs lobby area was cute. For the price we paid at this hotel, you can find better accommodations.

Of course the biggest problem about Mason Beach Inn was that the hotel staff did not care about the bed bug issue. Therefore, we're never going back and absolutely do NOT recommend this hotel. Bed bugs can come home with you in your luggage so I have a lot of work ahead of me today (just got back last night) to inspect and very thoroughly clean everything. If it turns out we did bring the bugs home with us, it will be a very costly, lengthy, and traumatic process to get rid of them.

I feel for the hotel industry because of the bed bug epidemic. I understand it's hard to keep them out of your facilities what with the bed bug epidemic these days. However, I would expect the hotel staff to act like they care about their guests, take ownership of the problem, apologize, assure us they will take the necessary precautions (ie bed bug dog inspection, pest control visit, etc), and give us some or all of our money back. Because they didn't do any of these things, I strongly urge you avoid this hotel like the plague.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank FooDIe1142
MasonBeach, General Manager at Mason Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2011

Dear FooDLe1142,
Thank you for writing a review. Your case was actually reviewed very carefully, since such cases take the highest priority in our hotel. Once the claim is made the hotel immediately takes action by taking the room and the surrounding rooms completely out of inventory and contacts an outside company to inspect the rooms. The hotel is provided with the results by the outsourced company and was confirmed that the results were negative.
Please remember that bed bugs are brought into hotels and can occur at any type of hotel.
Hotels take such cases, as mentioned, very serious.
No refund will be issue because we do not refund to avoid bad reviews, especially when we are warned before the review its submitted to TripAdvisor.
Once again thank you so much for your feedback and best of luck to you.

Reviewed April 20, 2011

Nice room. Very nice shower. Free wifi and parking.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Stayed at the Mason Beach Inn for the wekend. Its a cute place but....BEWARE!! the bed was like sleeping on a board. The heat /AC unit was old and had to be operated manually. My husband and I got very little sleep. We will not stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank onthebeachatdusk
Reviewed January 14, 2011

The Mason is one block from the beach and about 3-4 blocks from State St (shops, restaurants). It has 45 rooms, free wifi, free breakfast, and a small pool area. Our room was very clean and looked like it was recently remodelled. The room itself was average sized and had most of the amenities I would expect (coffee maker, iron, hairdryer). For another $10 a night we could have added a microwave and fridge.

The staff was very good and the breakfast was slightly above average for a continental breakfast. We were there in January and as it's a block from the beach I thought the $150 we paid was a bit high but Santa Barbara is lovely and I didn't really regret paying it.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Inn in an impromptu fashion on our way home to San Diego from San Francisco and were pleasantly surprised. We were looking for something enough away from downtown to be quiet but within walking distance of shops/restaurants/sights. The Inn is situated on a side street that is very quiet, lushly landscaped, and overall very charming. The marina/beach is about a block away, and downtown is within a 20-minute walk. The room was OK, nothing special, but clean and with everything you need. There are no "views" -- our room faced a parking lot which was initially noisy as families unloaded their cars and yelled back and forth to each other. However, the Inn was lightly occupied when we were there which afforded us a reduced rate, and we basically had the pool to ourselves. The front desk staff was courteous, and the breakfast was enjoyable, especially when shared outside at one of the patio tables by a bougainvillea bush.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2010

The staff and cleanliness of this hotel was wonderful. I've been visiting Santa Barbara since 1997 with two children attending UCSB and stayed in many hotels. The manager, Dan Alvarado, and staff worked with me on details for months in advance. As mother of the bride, I wanted something conventiently located, clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. We were not dissapointed...What a great staff! Beach was 1/2 block away and everything was within walking distance. It's an awesome location for any group with 43 rooms, some suites. The rooms are by far larger than most in Santa Barbara. Pool & jacuzzi are set up in a private setting and well mantained. Even though the Mason Beach Inn has only 2 levels, it is equipt with an elevator whcih was a plus with elderly members in our group. Family members are already planning on returning for future vacations!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2010

My wife and I stayed here the last weekend in July for a wedding. We didn't have any strong complaints, but felt a couple things could have been better for the price we paid.

The wedding rate we received was $195/night for a Fri-Sat stay (after tax the grand total was about $430 for the two nights). We understood going in that Santa Barbara was not the cheapest town, but for $200+/night we are used to a little more. The breakfast, while free, was not very impressive - juice, milk, coffee, bagels, and muffins - and there were only about six seats in the lobby at which to eat. There are a couple more tables outside on the patio, but with 50-degree mornings it can be pretty chilly.

The rooms are standard hotel rooms. Our room had two double beds, TV, writing desk, window A/C unit, bathroom with tub and toilet (the sink was outside the bathroom). There is free wireless Internet, but we didn't bring a laptop, so I can't provide an opinion of its speed.

As some reviewers have already mentioned, the Mason Beach Inn is not actually on the beach. However, it still has a favorable location - about two blocks from the beach and a 10-15 minute walk to State St., which has lots of name-brand and boutique shops along with lots of restaurants.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at Mason Beach Inn. The staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms and property were clean, and the location is good. We just felt the price tag was a bit steep for a hotel of its caliber.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple