“Loved it!”

Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
York, United Kingdom
“Loved it!”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel just gets everything right.
Reception staff were very welcoming, efficient and helpful. We were offered a fantastic upgrade deal to a huge room on the front with enormous balcony with full sea view - we didn't need any persuading!
The room was really comfortable and clean with high quality complimentary toiletries (Molton Brown). The location can't be beaten with views that sum up the Californian dream (beach, palm trees, ocean etc etc), and close to Stearn's Wharf and other restaurants and shops.
Service was excellent in all areas that we used - reception, pool bar, car park guys.
We loved Santa Barbara's cool, chilled out, friendly vibe and can't wait to return - we would definitely opt to stay at the Harbor View Inn again.

Room Tip: It's worth paying to upgrade to a room on the front with sea view and balcony.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank UKYork

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
newport beach, ca
Reviewed January 2, 2013

As someone who holds her hotel rewards points close to her heart, I was nervous booking in Santa Barbara, where the big chains don't have as many options. But when booking a bachelorette weekend, one must make concessions to make sure budgets are met and enough beds are available. Our whole experience was great, booking went well, the staff was helpful, and they even brought up a bottle of champagne for the bride-to-be. And for not being a national group's property, it felt just as well maintained, and with just as nice of amenities. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SissieJS
Saratoga
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Right on the beach in Santa Barbara. If this is your primary criteria, then this is a good spot. You pay for the location. The room was spacious and clean. My only complaint is that there were some maintenance issues I would not expect in a room at this price -- one light fixture was broken with the bulb hanging by the wire, and the drain in one of the bathroom sinks was stuck closed. Neither of these items were big issues, it's just if you are going to charge $350+ a night, then details matter. Staff was efficient. Avoid the roll away bed if you have kids -- they are quite creaky and uncomfortable. We will probably pay up next time and stay at the Four Seasons.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Norcal-Saratoga
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Just got back from a two night stay at the Harbor View Inn. Our room was clean and quiet, just the way I like it. The beds were comfortable and the room was large. The location is the best and it's a nice walk to the stores and restaurants. We will be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank kb2929
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

I arrived by train from OC to join my husband who had been here on business for a week. What a surprise to find the hotel literally a block from the train station. I didn't know what to expect about the hotel since my husband had not sent me any photos of his room or the resort, just the beautiful harbor view so I was wonderfully surprised to find a very large room with sitting area, king size bed, beautiful stone and tile bathroom and then that amazing Santa Barbara ocean view from a large deck. And, the room was beautifully furnished and oh, so comfy. We are accustomed to a minimum of four star resorts when we travel and this boutique hotel is right up there. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. This hotel is located at the pier on State Street and we walked everywhere we needed to go for great shopping and dining. The car stayed in the parking stall. We checked out this morning and I was truly sorry to go. Bonus, late check out at noon and I think it might be standard. I am looking forward to rejoining my husband here for another weekend get-a-way when he returns to stay here for work for a couple of weeks in January.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Liz H
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We used this hotel as our base in Santa Barbara. We had limited interaction with staff and limited use of the facilities. Staff was excellent upon check in/check out. They were pleasant and provided suggestions on where to eat or visit. Very helpful.

I am giving this hotel 4 stars based on its beauty, cleanliness, and location. Very pretty with great views of the city or beach. The rooms are large with nice balconies and always cleaned well. The location is perfect for tourists. Steps away from Stearns Wharf and State Street... couldn't be better.

Stay here for a clean hotel in a great location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carson D
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This place was horrible, due to snotty staff, on our honeymoon

Started immediately upon check-in. We arrived early, about 2pm, because this place has a horrible late check-in time, to see if we can get into our room early. Unfortunately the room was not ready but the rude guy checking us in did say that he'll call us when the room is ready, which was no biggie. We decided to walk out to Sterns Wharf and go to a winery and get some appetizers until the call came in. 4 approaches and no call, so we decide to walk back and see if we can check-in now, since that was the time stated on our confirmation. Of course our room was ready, yet he treated us like he had no obligation to call us as he previously mentioned.

My husband and I booked their most expensive ocean view room, as we were on our honeymoon. While the room was nice and definitely had an ocean view, it also had a gigantic street light directly in front of the balcony, with NO blackout shades. Yet the balcony on the other side of our room that faced nothing nor even close to the bedroom, had blackout shades. The stupid light kept us up each night we stayed there. When we called to complain, they were rude and told us there we're blackout shades in the room and on that window. The nerve of them telling us we were wrong, when we're sitting on the phone with them staring at the balcony doors that had no blackout shades. The balcony was completely unusable at night as the light was so bright you couldn't even see the ocean, and when we did sit outside people would walk by on the street and laugh at us because we were lite up brighter than a Christmas tree.

Secondly they charged us $250 for some smoking fee, when neither of us smoke. When I saw the fee, upon checkout, I asked about it. She showed me the time she "states" the bell guy smelled smoke from our room or balcony or whatever, and we weren't even in or close to the hotel at that time. When I asked to speak with a manager they stated there was no manager on duty, really on a Sunday when everyone checks out you don't have a manager on duty. When I got the business card for the manager/ceo I contacted him immediately the next day, assuming a Monday he would be available. He finally called me back and left a message on Tuesday, at which time he stated an email would probably be the faster way of talking with him. So I emailed him to discuss all this, guess what? He never responded. SHOCKER

Don't stay at this place unless you like the snotty service on a very special vacation. If I could do that part of the trip over again I'd stay at the Four Seasons for $100 more and have an incredible experience, instead of the crappy one at the Harbor View Inn.

Room Tip: Don't pay for the expensive ocean front/view rooms on the street. You'll have a gigantic str...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Marcail K
Mark R, General Manager at Harbor View Inn, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
I am so sorry that you had to wait to get into your room it was a busy weekend and we do try to get everyone in before 4:00pm, I wish you would have taken our offer to have you move rooms on Saturday but I understand once you are in a room it is hard to move, I do agree there is a city light on the street across from the room we have never had a problem before. I hope you will give us another try and I Thank-you for taking the time to write a review please call me if you wish.