“Great Hotel”
Review of Harbor View Inn

Harbor View Inn
Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed April 3, 2008

I took my mom to Santa Barbara for her 60th birthday. Our stay at the Harbor View Inn was wonderful. Our room was on the 3rd floor and had a great view of the ocean and Stearns Wharf. We were walking distance from almost everything that we wanted to see. The bathroom was huge. The bed was very comfortable. I usually have trouble sleeping in hotel beds but on this trip I slept great. If I had to pick something that I did not like it would be that the picture on the flatscreen tvs were a little fuzzy. But we were not in our room very much to watch tv so it didn't matter to us.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,347)

Reviewed April 1, 2008

Stayed here as part of our honeymoon in 2007.
We had a lovely room with a view over the swimming pool and across to the ocean which was definately worth paying a bit extra for.
The hotel staff had provided us with a bottle of champagne as we had indicated we were a honeymoon couple which wasa nice touch.
The hotel was fairly quiet when we stayed, so we spent some time using the pool facilities which were lovely and clean, although the whirlpool temperature was extremely hot!
Had one meal in the hotel's restaurant which was fine.

The hotel is near the pier, and on here you will find a great place to have breakfast- Moby Dick's diner- fantastic!

The hotel was quite expensive but we enjoyed our stay so we feel it was worth it.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2008

We had a Huge group stay at this hotel for 4 days, and there weren't any complaints! If I had to pick something, it would only be that in the room we stayed, because of the way the bathroom was situated, the wall between the toilet area and the bedroom was a little thin ;}
But, speaking on the bathrooms, they were absolutely beautiful! Granite was everywhere, seperate rain head shower and the bathtub was so deep you could swim in it!
We had a great time, and as this was a yearly trip, we'll definetly be staying there again!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Tina U
Reviewed March 28, 2008

My new wife and I stayed at the Harbor View Inn March 17-21st for our honeymoon after getting married in Las Vegas. When we first arrived, the place was quiet (not desolate) and with very well kept grounds. The parking lot is very tight, but there are some covered parking spots and they fill up quickly. The staff was friendly and courteous and quick to attend to needs (they offer FREE wireless internet, just call the front desk and ask for the username and password). We checked in and went to the room after a 6 hour drive from Vegas and since it was our honeymoon, the staff asked ahead of time (when we booked the room), if we'd like a bottle of sparkling wine in our room, It was on ice when we arrived, with a note. The room we stayed in is rm 244 across from the pier and ocean. I was hesitant to stay in the room, as I am a super light sleeper and with a major road outside didn't think I'd get sleep, To my surprise NOT a single night of road noise could be heard. The bathrooms are very clean and spacious, minus the shower (which is narrow) the hotel blends well with Santa Barbara's Mediterranean look and feel.. There is a restaurant on site called Eladios and they do offer room service. The food is great, nice choices and large portions. The clam chowder is good, as are the burgers and sweet potato fries. The hotel is a "Green" hotel. After the hectic pace of a Las Vegas wedding, it was nice to relax in Santa Barbara. We would gladly stay at the Harbor View Inn anytime. Make sure to ask for a King bed, you won't regret it.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CannaDad
Reviewed March 16, 2008

We spent a night at Harbor View Inn. The staff were friendly and the room is spotless and large but it was the worst night of sleep either of us has had in a long time. The bed is massively uncomfortable and the room was blisteringly hot despite cranking the A/C and the fan. We couldn't get comfortable and we ended up tossing and turning all night in a king sized bed.. we sleep at home on a queen sized bed so we should have been thrilled!

The hotel itself is well located though they don't have enough parking and you may find yourself parked on the street. You can get a permit from them to park there which alleviates the "did my car get towed" panic attacks.

I will say that we slept on the ground floor and facing the road and didn't hear a thing, the sliding glass doors are truly sound proof. The breakfast next door was nice. But what is the point of a break if you can't sleep?

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2008

Our family stayed here while we looked at colleges. While this property is beautiful from the outside, it's only skin deep. Our first problem was the fact that they don't have high-speed internet, make that hardly any internet connection. We kept calling the front desk to find out what the problem was, but they were ill-equipped to assist us on why we couldn't connect properly, and when we did, the connection was sooo slow.

First thing the next morning, I went to work out in their extremely cramped work out room (low ceiling, very stuffy and hot-an afterthought on their part)) when I went back to the room to shower. To my surprise, no hot water! A call to the front desk brought their staff right away, and they fixed the problem within 20 minutes, but it makes me question why the cleaning staff wouldn't have known prevously that the hot water was turned off on this wing of the hotel - were they only cleaning the rooms with cold water?

The next problem was their fancy plasma tv, didn't have a good picture and the sound was horrible. Very surprising for how this place markets itself.

I have waited to post this review, waiting to hear from Harbor View Inn first. I was very specific in my comment card when I checked out and the front desk staff seemed concerned, and told me that the Manager would call me back right away to discuss my comments. Well, it's been over 3 weeks, and I'm still waiting to hear from them - I guess they don't value my comments and lookiing to improve my property.

Beware of making a reservation, you've been warned.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Californiatraveler_8
Reviewed March 14, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Harbor View Inn as part of a business group. (We did not pay for the room). We were given a lovely room with a balcony overlooking the pretty pool area and ocean. The room had a vaulted ceiling and the bathroom was spacious and well appointed. The property was very well maintained with beautiful plantings and gardens.
As my husband and his business colleague were in meetings for a day and a half, my friend and I were on own own for 2 dinners. Andrew at reception was extremely helpful in recommending restaurants, making reservations, and arranging for transportation. We had no worries, he took care of everything with a smile!
The location was excellent for walks on the pier, walking into town and day trips to wine country.
If I had any complaint, it was that the rooms were not well lit and could seem dark, but we are in the lighting business so I would notice that!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business