“Amazing stay in Santa Barbara”

The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort
Ranked #28 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Los Angeles, California
“Amazing stay in Santa Barbara”
Reviewed May 24, 2010

I work for a large corporation in Los Angeles and had to plan a trip for 9 co-workers looking to get away together for a fun, relaxing overnight stay. I got in contact with Chelsea Richey in the sales department and was able to secure a great rate for the group. She was extremely helpful with not only the reservations but went out of her way to suggest activites and places to dine locally for the group. Unfortunately, I was not able to go on the trip so I can only give you feedback that I got from the group while they were there. I have heard "beautiful resort" "great location" "wonderful service" "very accommodating" "yummy breakfast" and "great rooms."

One of the great things about the group was that three of the people had their spouses drive to Santa Barbara and bring their dogs for an extended stay. The hotel is pet friendly and there are dog friendly beaches nearby.

They ate breakfast at Cafe Los Arcos and everyone said that breakfast was "delicious"

Everyone could not say enough about the resort, the area and the spa. The spa was wonderful! They were able to accommodate a group of 9 on short notice and Julie, the spa manager, was extremely helpful, extremely professional and was able to move the scheduling around when our group needed to leave earlier.

I would recommend this hotel and spa to anyone who asks. This is a great hotel for a getaway because of the location, a great hotel for a group because of the rates and accommodations and a great hotel for couples and families because of the activities that the resort and the local town of Santa Barbara offer. I cannot wait to visit with my family and my dog!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
benjaminly, Director of Rooms at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, May 30, 2010
Good to see that you had a positive experience at our restaurant, Cafe los Arcos, our spa, and with our staff. I am looking forward to welcoming you back when you bring your family and dog.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh
Reviewed May 24, 2010

This hotel was in an absolutely perfect location just steps from the Pacific. Our room was an ocean front room with a very nice patio. We grabbed some take out and had a nice dinner there while watching the boats in Santa Barbara harbor. The room itself was very spacious, clean, nicely decorated. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was spotless. The hotel grounds were another plus - just walking around through the gardens was a delight. You could smell the flowers everywhere. Overall, the whole experience was wonderful, I would recommend highly.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Hope to see you back soon!
Davis, California
Reviewed May 23, 2010

We stayed here for two nights on their junior suite. The lobby, restaurant, location, pool, and even the parking lot was really nice. Upon entering the room, we found that the carpet was wet, and the
carpet in the closet was covered with mold. Complaining to the management was useless since
all the rooms were sold out. Other than that, o would say the rest of our stay was good. The breakfast coupons are worth a lot, and the buffet was nice. The staff is average - level of niceness varies quite a bit. I might stay in the four seasons next time around!

• Stayed May 2010
San Luis Obispo
Reviewed May 23, 2010

We took the train from San Luis Obispo to Santa Barbara. Our daughter booked the hotel for us and we were not disappointed. Sitting on the patio overlooking the Pacific Ocean and the harbor, we felt like we were back in Santa Margharita Ligure in Italy. The hotel was quiet, comfortable, all of the staff were pleasant and helpful. Ideal location close to the beach, downtown and the train. They have a shuttle that picked us up at the station, on time considering our train was late. We will definetly do this trip and hotel again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 21, 2010

I reserved two rooms for myself, husband, adult son and his fiancee. The rooms were great....large, comfortable...sort of that "old money feel." The hotel was noisy in that the clientele consisted of alot of college students who appeared to be there on spring break. But, given the inability of the hotel to control students, the hotel stay was great...Food was good, too.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Lakewood, California
Reviewed May 16, 2010

My siblings and I enjoyed a Mother's Day weekend that neither of us will ever forget for many reasons. We all love the resort. Prior to leaving for the resort, I read a review about the "faded carpet." Needless to say, the person who wrote that lackluster review did not know anything about carpet. The carpet was not thread-bare, but the black lines running through the carpet was part of the design, not worn spots in the carpet.

We chose to eat at nearby restaurants to see the sites rather than eat at the hotel restarants, so can't speak for the resort's food. The lobby, rooms, towels, service, and the whole experience was wonderful! It will be very hard to stay anywhere else when I return to Santa Barbara. I feel like the Double Tree is "my place." I absolutlely love the grounds, landscaping, and scenery. What brand of hotel mattress are in the rooms? I need to own one of those mattresses.

Two suggestions:
1-make sure guests have a key to the frig/bar
2-have less liquor in the frig sp there's room for my own bottled water, medicines.

Loved it!
Thanks,

Colleen & Family
L. A. County

• Stayed May 2010
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 11, 2010

I had read the reviews here and was preparing for the worst. Even called ahead and requested a "quiet" room as I am a very light sleeper. Had no choice in hotels as this was a conference. On arrival was shown to a room 170 in the Camellia building. It did have a very weird smell, those dreaded popcorn ceilings and stains on the carpet. I went to the front desk and asked for a better room as I was reading TripAdvisor and knew about these problems. The young lady disappeared into a back room for 5 minutes. She came back, switched my keys and told me to check out my new room. It was in the same building but on the 3rd floor. No smell. No stains on carpet. Towels OK, check. Bed clean, check. The room was very pleasant for the 2 night stay. I requested my bedding changed. Bedding totally changed, check. Had several meal events, all were beautiful and tasted great. The pool is amazing, large and adequate for lap swimming. I had my own bike, but they had rentals right on the property. There is a fantastic bike route right outside the door on the beach. Goes forever. Parking was nice and plentiful. My only regret was not turning left out of the property to find what looks like a great produce store literally across the parking lot. I would have walked there and bought some fresh strawberries. Oh well, next time.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
benjaminly, Director of Rooms at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, May 19, 2010
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay and I am glad that the staff was able to resolve the initial challenge with your room. We have since addressed the issue with your first room. Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you plan to stay in Santa Barbara.