“Pleasant stay on the beach”

The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort
Ranked #28 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Tarzana, United States
“Pleasant stay on the beach”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We enjoyed a leisurely holiday at the Fess Parker resort. The room was spacious, the grounds were well maintained and on a great stretch across from the beach in Santa Barbara. We bought a package that included the internet and a breakfast buffet daily for each of us -- and at $30 additional, it was a bargain. The breakfast buffet was pretty standard -- it included eggs, bacon and sausage, some other egg specialty, hot and cold cereals, pastries, and bagels and lox and beverages, including juice. You could also order an omlette, as the omlette station was not available. I would have preferred the eggs were hotter at the buffet and ordered omlettes. The pool seemed nice, and the hotel was VERY dog friendly. We did not dine at the hotel other than happy hour and breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
We thank you for the feedback you provided regarding your stay at our resort. We offer a variety of package offers throughout the year and I was pleased to see you were able to take advantage of one that included breakfast and internet fees. The information you provided is going to be very helpful to our Trip Advisor readers. Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We appreciate your business and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Spent one night at the Fess Parker Doubletree Resort and was very disappointed. We had made a reservation for a room with a mountainview. The hotel had many vacant rooms and they put us in a room with a view of a solid stucco wall 20 feet in front of our balcony!

The hotel was very dated and tired. The carpet everywhere looked dirty. For the price and location and being a Hilton property, very disappointing!

When checking out, the only thing I was asked was if everything on the bill was correct, nothing about how my room or stay was!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I paid 489 dollars for a Saturday night stay. The bathroom floor was not mopped so when I put the bath rug on the floor, it came up black. The room smelled like Draino as the sinks were clogged. The entrance hallway smelled like urine. There were alot of young people partying at this hotel. A young women was allowed to sit her bare buttocks on the bar while men took photos. She was in a string bikini. I said something to the waitress and she just shrugged. I emailed, telephoned and attempted to ask for a refund from Fess Parker doubletree. No response. I wrote an email to Hilton corporate and am receiving a free night voucher. Don't stay here unless u like to pay almost 500 dollars for a motel 6 experience.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel. We regret to hear about your disappointment during your stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the challenges you encountered and I urge you to please contact me if you would like to discuss these in further detail.
Our goal is to have each guest have an enjoyable stay and I am sorry we let you down. We are continuously striving to provide the best service to our guests and to enhance the overall experience. I hope that if travels bring you to our area in the near future, you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate the service you have come to expect from a member of the Hilton family
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Booked hotel on route from Los Angeles to San Francisco, disappointed the hotel comes under the Hilton brand. Room was tied, needed lots of modernisation, capers were old creating that musty smell, and to cap it off our room had an ant festation, thank fully we only were booked in for the one night.

We booked sea view room and could alonst see the sea.

Very disappointing!

• Stayed September 2013
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our resort. I am very sorry you were disappointed with your accommodations. With so many room types and views to choose from throughout the resort, I assure you if I had been aware of this while you were here, we would have done everything possible to make certain you enjoyed your stay with us. The plans for a major renovation project are in place and we will begin this project later this month. If your plans include a return trip to the area, I hope you will return to experience the new/fresh look in our guestrooms and hallways.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had a fantastic stay, the room was well priced in recognition of an upcoming renovation. Despite this the room was still excellent, roomy, great beds, and a lovely outlook. The kids loved the pool, and all the staff were very friendly and helpful, with lots of good local advice. We left a couple of items in the room, and the staff were great about getting them back to us. We all wished we could have stayed longer, and would love to go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

South pasadena, United States
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This visit seems to have gone wrong from the beginning. Let me preface this review by letting you know I stay at this hotel frequently. This was the first really bad visit. First, I wasn't allowed to park and keep my keys while checking in which I always do. Second, the room was not ready and it was 4:20 pm. Third, I was charged for items missing from the mini bar which were missing upon my arrival and which I told the front desk about. The rooms are beginning to feel really shabby:( Time for a make over.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

2 Thank Rena W
I am so sorry your most recent stay at our resort was not as enjoyable as it should have been. Our team strives so hard to ensure that our service not only meets but exceeds our guest's expectations and it is unfortunate that we did not in this case. I do apologize for the problems you encountered. I hope you will reconsider and return to once again enjoy the resort as you have in the past. We are going to begin a major renovation of our guestrooms and hallways later this month and I hope you will come back and give us another opportunity to serve you.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The ambiance of Santa Barbara helps the scoring of this hotel. In reality, if being really critical the rooms require refurbishment and the hotel looks a little tired. Despite the negatives, the hotel offers an amazing location on the beach front. For bars and restaurants, State Street is a 20 min walk away. There is lots to see and do around the hotel, all offering scenic Californian views, if you have the time hire a bicycle and explore.
I stayed for a conference and the staff and food where excellent. The hotel was previously a roundhouse for rotating trains, and this space offers an excellent area for dining and evening entertainment. Nice hotel, even better the location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business