“Fess Parker Santa Barbara”

The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort
Ranked #30 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Lush surrounding with a location that is convenient to all types of activities. The sound of the ocean and the fragrance wafting into the rooms from the lilac bushes, made sitting on the patio as relaxing as floating in the oversized pool.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Write a ReviewReviews (3,473)

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Cant beat this location. Right across the street from the main beach and near everything, but still far enough away to at the same time seem secluded. If you are the mood for Mexican food definitely go to Los Agaves on Milpas - insane. We went twice during our visit. For beer try the local Hoppy Poppy. For coffee its the SB Roasting Co.

1  Thank Justin H
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

We appreciate your very positive comments. The tips you included will be so helpful to our guests. Thank you for taking the time to share such valuable and informative feedback. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back real soon!

Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel. But the location was than desirable.

When I drove up I was greeted by friendly valet and doorman.
They opened doors asked about my stay and directed me where to go. They also later helped me with "what to do" and were honest with me about the location of the hotel in relation to entertainment options.

Check in was a breeze but the front desk could not tell me which room my conference was in. This was not a problem since I was able to wonder around and find it the next day.

I was lucky I was able to stay in the main building so I was close to the lobby and other main amenities.

Bar was Okay. Like many things in SB, was pricy. But happy hour helps.

If you want to go to the beach this hotel is right across the street.

If you want downtown/shopping/night life, you need to drive or catch a cab. Cab ride is about $15 with tip each way.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed here years ago for a business meeting and remember how close it is to the ocean (which is why I booked it for my wife and I to enjoy the July 4 holiday week).

Apparently, that's all it takes for families to spend $350+ nightly to stay at this sad, outdated and bland hotel. You can check my other reviews, I'm not a chronic complainer when traveling, and in fact, this is my first negative review ever on TripAdvisor.

We checked in and there was a problem with our reservation, which I readily admitted was my own doing. However, there's an empathetic way of handling these situations and the staff, while earnest and friendly, has clearly not been trained.

That would have been incidental if the hotel had turned out to be worthwhile. Unfortunately, the hallways, rooms and common areas are wildly dated. They nail you hard for parking and wifi to top it off.

I guess location really is everything. What a shame.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeffrey K

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our hotel. We'd also like to apologize if you were not made aware of the parking and WiFi charges at your time of booking. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We hope you’ll stay with us again soon if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Alex made our trip. He was welcoming, funny and made us feel like we were family. Not to mention he provided us with a warm chocolate chip cookie as a welcoming snack. The room had a great view, hotel staff was friendly and overall it was fantastic!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

I enjoyed reading your review very much. Thank you for your very kind compliments regarding the service you received from Alex. We hope your schedule will allow another trip this way real soon.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was a little unsure of the hotel because of some of the reviews, but I was very pleased. Yes, the bathrooms are in dire need of being updated, but everything is clean and comfortable. I preferred a mountain view room over garden view, but was not able to reserve one ahead of time. Upon arrival, they were able to get me into one and give me that rate. I would definitely recommend a mountain view over the garden view room! It was lovely and quiet and the cheapest rate!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Yes. We have stayed at this hotel about three or four time over the last six years and I am extremely happy with the service your hotel provided us with on this trip. I would like to single out Kayla Johnson. Kayla was working the desk when we first checked in. We had been traveling all day from Yosemite and arrived late in the evening. kayla was very accommodating and gracious through the whole process. We initially asked for ocean front rooms but after further thought we realized we needed something closer to the pool for the children. Calling down Kayla again handled our situation efficiently, professionally and kindly. Kayla moved our rooms the following morning and had all our luggage moved and placed in our new room. Finally Kayla, coincidentally, was working the desk when we checked out. I had a few questions regarding my bill and of course Kayla resolved the issue and made completely sure I was leaving completely satisfied. Thank you Kayla for a wonderful experience. We will be sure to visit you again and tell anyone who will listen about our wonderful trip to your hotel. I also need to mention two other employees who went out of their way to help us. We arrived late in the night on the 26th and both the valet and the porter were extremely helpful. The valet , seeing I had sleeping children and tons of luggage suggested he take care of my car for me at no cost and the porter had to lug two carts of suitcases, diaper bags, and who knows what else across the hotel and the whole time he did it with a smile and class. Give those two props!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family