“Well Positioned”

Ranked #28 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Sydney, Australia
“Well Positioned”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

The resort is quite extensive in dimension, being about 360 rooms in named groupings mainly at ground level. We had a room facing the beach with low views across the coastal road to the sea.
Rooms are large enough if a little tired. Comfortable bed and adequate facilities. The restaurant was closed leaving us only the cafe for a limited menu for dinner. To access the main lobby area, you must cross open areas - not attractive if raining. Staff are pleasant and welcoming and keen to be of assistance. We chose to breakfast in the nearby town rather than in the not very enticing cafe.

Room Tip: Water view room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

My friends and I were not only welcomed to the hotel with an unexpected upgrade to the Presidential suite but with some additional great tasting Fess Parker Wine and yummy chocolate chip cookies. What an awesome surprise! The room was extremely large with a lovely fireplace which accommodated the 4 of us just perfectly. There was a huge shower and jacuzzi tub which which would have been quite lovely had we been with our significant others. The view of the ocean would have been even more spectacular if it wasn't for the giant rotunda that obstructed it. No biggie, since we just walked across the street to the beach with champagne in hand to watch the sun go down. The jacuzzi and pool were ok. But, the furniture and stuff around it were a bit beat up. The hotel overall seems a little dark, outdated and sad to me. Definitely in need of some TLC to brighten it up. It has SUCH potential. I just visited the Beverly Garland in LA and although the the rooms are in need of some major help, the outside pool and lobby really make it. I could totally see the Fess Parker benefit from many of the same updates it has.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

I chose to go to Santa Barbara for wine tasting for my bachelorette party in March 2013. My fiance at the time did some research on TripAdvisor and discovered that this was one of the higher rated hotels and he does have a preference for Hilton Hotels as he's an HHonors Gold Member. And per the map, it wasn't that far from State Street/Stearns Wharf (Pier)...if you're not walking in heels I found out once we got there haha!

There were 10 girls in my group and we booked 3 rooms. I requested an early check in if possible and for the rooms to be on the same floor, close by. The front desk was friendly, personable & accommodated us as best as possible. We arrived early at noon and were able to get 2 of the 3 rooms right away and these were next door to each other. The 3rd room was available at 3 p.m. as normal and was only a couple of doors down from the other two rooms.

Rooms were clean, no smell and roomy. Only thing I wish was that the lighting was a little bit brighter. It wasn't dark but it wasn't that bright inside except in the bathrooms.

We went downstairs to see if we could grab a quick cocktail. Although there was no one around at the bar at noon, a bartender who was setting up for the evening quickly came by and she served us our cocktails which were tasty and strong. Great service again!

We went outside to walk to the Pier and realized that on the map, it looks real close but 10 girls walking in heels weren't going to make it to the pier. The bell hop said they could call us a cab but since it wasn't crazy busy, he just grabbed the hotel caravan bus and took us there for free! He even recommended a restaurant for lunch on the Pier and a few good wine bars within walking distance afterwards. He gave us his number to give him a call for a pick up and a taxi number that could accommodate 10 people in one vehicle as well in case the hotel got busy using the caravan bus.

We felt safe & well taken care of by the hotel staff. None of us had ever stayed here but all of us agreed when we left, that this is the hotel to stay at in Santa Barbara for family trips or friends gatherings.

Room Tip: You can ask for a view of the pool but it may be really sunny during the day. We were on the other...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for your excellent review of your recent stay at The Fess Parker a Doubletree by Hilton. Our team does a tremendous job greeting and serving our guests and I was so pleased to read that your bachelorette party went so well. Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back real soon.
Laguna Niguel, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Like the rest of the reviewers, there are plus and minuses for this hotel.. It really needs a facelift, but you can't beat the location.. The staff were all very helpful and accommodating. I asked for a robe, additional towels, and coffee supplies, and was pleasantly surprised at how fast it was delivered. I was in the bougainvillea building, which was the furthest from the lobby, but also had a nice ocean view, and still paid the same rate as my colleagues..

Cost of food is comparable to large resorts, happy hour Monday through Friday is a great deal. Pool is okay, needs to be updated as well. Bikes for rent, which is nice. Easy walk to the wharf. Taxis available without any problem.

Tennis courts on site are in dismal shape, although we still used them. Parking feels kinda sketchy late at night, lots of bums in the area watching on the side street. That is an issue throughout Santa Barbara though.

Room Tip: The further from the lobby the better, top floor facing the ocean,
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Overall great hotel with big rooms. We had a room overlooking the ocean with a nice patio in front. Pool is big and it nice with a full service bar and snack stand with quick service. Family atmosphere. Note the hotel is located across the street from the beach but with a direct view of the ocean. Only negative was that I spoke with 2 reservation agents who were very poor in terms of customer service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fresno CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Spent a few days here for business. Arrived after dark and drove past three times. Very difficult to see the minimal signage. And the entrance is on a side street. So be forewarned. But otherwise, this place is great. My room had two queen beds and lots of room. And I had no problem locating ample electrical outlets to recharge gadgets. There are two sinks–one in the bathroom and one outside the bathroom. Convenient for two people.
As has been mentioned, the grounds are beautiful. And you can see the beach, sailboats, and the ocean across the street. It’s about a half-mile trek to the wharf and State Street where the action is restaurant-wise.
I’d stay here again.

Glendora, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Overall a very decent stay at a beachfront room for two nights (on business). Room smelled like mold at the entrance, quite strong. I thought maybe it was because of proximity to water or something, until I realized that coworkers' rooms did not smell like mold. By the time I realized that it was a problem with my room my stay was almost over, so I ended up telling the front desk upon checkout. They did not apologize or offer to correct it in any way by adjusting the bill or offering a discount on the next stay.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Even though I was pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay, it was very disappointing to learn that our front desk staff failed to appropriately respond to your comment at check out. Please accept my apology for the frustration and inconvenience this matter created for you. The comfort of our guest is high priority and I am sorry that your recent stay was not as enjoyable as it should have been. If your plans include a return trip to Santa Barbara, please call my office and mention your Trip Advisor post. I want to personally oversee your reservation and make certain your next stay is a memorable one for you.