“Great value and beautiful location.”

The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort
Ranked #28 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Sagamihara, Japan
“Great value and beautiful location.”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Room is big and modern style interior is very nice. 2 beds are fantastic. Small desk and a love seat. 42-inch LG flat TV and dresser is nice, too. All interior design looks refine, indeed. Room is about $250 a night for 2, we spend. There is 5-Star Four-Season Hotel in Santa Barbara, but money you invest for Double Tree Hotel here is worth it. Services are very good, if you need or complain about anything about room and hotel, call them, they response to you with respect. What I see negative side of room is "Wear and Tear" everywhere. Rug, dresser, bathroom and so on. Worst one was the heater. It is very noisy and air blow too strong that there is only one setting for air control. Air blow my face when I lay down on a bed. And it takes so long to warm up the room, even I set temperature for 74. Good news all that is, I understand they will remodel and upgrade entire rooms and interior design in 2013. I don't know the date of construction. Call the hotel and make a reservation after the remodel and upgrade is done. I bet room will be beautiful. (Personally, I hope they replace a bigger TV screen, such as 55-inch instead of 42-inch. And HIgh Definition service would be nice.)

1 Thank StarShine80

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
  • Turkish first
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed in an ocean view room for 2 nights and they seriously over charged me! they have taken out of my account $1,100.00 so far! my room was a fixed rate of $267.00 a nite for a room with a "mountain view", which was really a view of the parking lot. so they upgraded me to an ocean view for "$49.99", which turned out to be $50.00. they ask you if you want a key to the mini bar, and even if you say no they leave it unlocked so you'll be tempted to use it, sheer trickery! i did use the mini bar one nite only and ordered only 2 movies and 1 breakfast order. my total bill was $1,184.75 FOR 2 NITES! i left the room clean with no damage, i'm still fighting for my money back!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank julie s
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at our resort. We sincerely apologize for the billing issues and assure you our team is very willing to work thru them with you. In fact, after discussing this with my Executive Team, I understand a manager has already been in touch with you and working with you to resolve these issues. I certainly wish that I had known about this prior to your departure. I assure you I would have done everything possible to avoid the confusion and frustration this must have created for you. Again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to assist you.
Pleasant Hill, California
Reviewed December 31, 2012

All hotels in Santa Barbara are pricey so I chose Fess Parkers even though I knew from a previous stay the rooms are dark and in need of updating badly because I got a discount on the room rate.
This stay was no different. Because I had a discount rate I think they gave me one of the worst rooms. There were really bad, large stains on the carpet that I could not stay in that room and feel well. What do they think??
They did get me another room to their credit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank 1pleasantlady
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our resort. I was sorry to learn that the first room did not live up to your standards but was pleased to see that our staff did assist you with a move to another room. There is just no excuse for the substandard cleanliness in the room and I apologize for the frustration and incovenience this created for you. I do want you to know that a major guestroom renovation is in the planning stages now and will begin later this year. We are very excited and hope that you will consider us and give us another chance when your plans include a return trip to Santa Barbara. Again, thank you for sharing your concerns.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Ocean side is the way to go if possible. We had a really nice stay with an ocean view. Room was comfortable and Doubletree beds are great.

Sure parking charge and WIFI access are bummer if you are paying this much for a room but wonderful location made up for it.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Spi-kids_LA
Clovis, California, United States
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Overall a great stay at Fess Parker's! I recommend it for the family as the location is prime; close to State street, The Wharf, the Zoo and the Beach, it's the total Santa Barbara Experience! We are looking forward to going back in the Summer to rent / ride the bikes along the trail! Next time, the kids can do the peddling!

Room Tip: Rooms on the Mountain side are quiet - but no view of the ocean : (
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Location across form the beach is great. Rooms were dingy, needed refreshing. The bedding was subpar and you could sand the floors with the bath towel. Food in Cafe was bad, Come on how hard is it to cook a burger, Only thing worse was the service. Has the ambiance & Atmosphere of a conference hotel.

Lovely town, nice beach but we had to move to another hotel to enjoy. Which I would advise if your on holiday.

2 Thank DexterDoodle
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our guestrooms. We appreciate your feedback and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We hope you'll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Bar/Late Night scene is not the place to be for a "fun" night out, but great for a drink or 2 with friends. Late night bar staff can be very slow and forgot to bring out a few drinks.
Overall, beautiful place to stay, extremely friendly staff and great rooms.