“Great Dog Friendly Choice!”

The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort
Ranked #30 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed here with our one year old lab/mix. We were looking for a dog friendly hotel close to Santa Ynez for wine tasting. The grounds are perfect for dog walking and the hotel restaurant with outdoor patio was perfect for dining with the dog. It was a warm lovely evening and we sat by the patio fire pit and ate a lovely dinner. The jacuzzi was a great way to start the day and the pool was lovely (although we took turns so as not to leave the dog alone in the room). We stayed on a Sunday night and the grounds were very quiet. The best part was that management upgraded our room to an ocean view with a spacious patio. It was my birthday and I was grateful for the upgrade. We didn't interact much with staff but we're very happy with our choice. It's not the Biltmore, but you get a lot here for what you pay for. We will stay again! Room service breakfast was outstanding too!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 72Teri
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

We are so pleased you selected our resort for your birthday celebration! Thank you for the details you provided that will surely help our friends with pets when they are considering our resort for their visit to Santa Barbara. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort

Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here - four of us - overnight on a recent holiday. The hotel is impressive, very spacious and well located. We were given a room upgrade upon arrival with superb ocean views. The room was very spacious and clean. The staff were great with suugestions for dinner and even picked us up from the restaurant after dinner - thank you for the splendid service. They also made a great suggestion for breakfast. All in all, a great place to stay in Santa Barbara.

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for selecting Fess Parker's Doubletree Resort for your holiday stay in Santa Barbara.
I was very pleased to read that our team provided you with the outstanding level of service we strive so hard to provide each and everyone of our guests. We greatly appreciate your compliments and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Beautiful setting. Great location. Less than stellar housekeeping. Great service from front desk. The heavy wooden sliding doors kept coming off the track. Maintenance responded quickly, but what an annoyance to deal with. Breakfast buffet was good. Went down the street to the Hyatt for Happy Hour, which is a great deal. Probaly would stay here again if I got a deal, but was not blown away by our experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Thank you for your review of our resort. It's great to know you enjoyed our location, breakfast buffet and service from our front desk team. I do want to apologize for the problem you experienced with the sliding door. We want you to know plans for a major guestroom and corridor renovation are underway and the project will begin in 2013. We hope you will consider us for any future visits to our area. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to Santa Barbara and the resort.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed here for our anniversary. We were given the romance package. The room was a suite, big and the bed was comfortable but dated. I expected for the money we'd have a pillow top bed at least. The sliding door to the patio was so hard to slide we barely could. Maintenance needs to repair it. The windows were not clean but rather cloudy. The plant in our room was half dead so I gave it some water myself. The couch had snags in the upholstery. Our room came with a large spa tub. The service was very nice and courteous but the rooms need a little TLC. Short walk to the beach. Nice stay overall.

• Stayed: October 2012
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

We appreciate your candid comments and will have our maintenance team check the sliding doors in our suites. I apologize that our staff did not catch this prior to your arrival and thank you for giving me the opportunity to use your remarks as a learning tool for our staff. I hope you will consider us for any future trips to Santa Barbara and will give us the opportunity to not only meet by exceed your expectations.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

By far I think this is the best hotel in town. Perfect location across from the beach and for the price it is not bad considering where it is. The grounds are nice, tennis courts and pool areas are great! The fitness center has the latest equipment and roomy enough to workout in. Parking is plenty and reasonably quiet despite being next to a major street.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the upper floors its quieter. Upper floors give you a better view of the grounds a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This hotel is in a great location. Other than that, it was a poor performance. This was my first visit to Santa Barbara and the Fess Parker. My guess is that when you have such a large hotel the service goes out the window. The concierge was not helpful. They never called me about the information I requested. They didn't tell me there was a waterfront bus when I told them I was looking for something to do with my two kids while my wife was busy with the car. I walked almost a mile to the pier with my 4 year old and carrying my 2 year old. I'm glad I stopped by the visitor center so they could inform me of the bus or i would have walked back after visiting the pier and Sea Center .No room service between 11:00 am and 5;00 pm, even though the menus in the room say all day in room dining. The shower handle fell off and we had to wait for the repairman to come and fix it. The bar that locks the sliding door in our room would not lock in place, so every time we opened or closed the sliding door to our patio it would fall down and hit the floor. My two year old son had it fall and hit him in the head right after we got into our room. The wifi that cost an extra $15.99 was very slow. The service at the bar was slow. They claim to be child friendly, but they are not. It just seemed that most of the people working here (concierge, bartender, restaurant employees) didn't want to be bothered. They were very smug. The area is very beautiful and the location was great, but I will never stay at this hotel again. It was a huge disappointment.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank chunter2
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to send us a review. We are very sorry your experience at our property wasn't up to our usual high standards. We have addressed the problems you mentioned with the appropriate manager and team members. Thank you for alerting us to this issue and we hope you will give us another chance to better serve you, if you have the opportunity to return to Santa Barbara.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Was concerned after reading reviews but was more than pleased with my week long stay. The front desk staff was professional, pleasant and more than willing to accomodate my early arrival. The room was clean w/ great air conditioning, comfy bed and beautiful waterfront view. Be sure to ask for the upgrade...well worth it! The food prices are definitely on the high end and parking is another added expense but considering the other hotel choices in the area, I'm glad I chose to stay at the Doubletree and will definitely stay again next time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo