“Nice but needs TLC”

The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort
Ranked #28 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
“Nice but needs TLC”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed here for our anniversary. We were given the romance package. The room was a suite, big and the bed was comfortable but dated. I expected for the money we'd have a pillow top bed at least. The sliding door to the patio was so hard to slide we barely could. Maintenance needs to repair it. The windows were not clean but rather cloudy. The plant in our room was half dead so I gave it some water myself. The couch had snags in the upholstery. Our room came with a large spa tub. The service was very nice and courteous but the rooms need a little TLC. Short walk to the beach. Nice stay overall.

• Stayed October 2012
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
We appreciate your candid comments and will have our maintenance team check the sliding doors in our suites. I apologize that our staff did not catch this prior to your arrival and thank you for giving me the opportunity to use your remarks as a learning tool for our staff. I hope you will consider us for any future trips to Santa Barbara and will give us the opportunity to not only meet by exceed your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
  • Turkish first
LA
Reviewed October 11, 2012

By far I think this is the best hotel in town. Perfect location across from the beach and for the price it is not bad considering where it is. The grounds are nice, tennis courts and pool areas are great! The fitness center has the latest equipment and roomy enough to workout in. Parking is plenty and reasonably quiet despite being next to a major street.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the upper floors its quieter. Upper floors give you a better view of the grounds a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sacramento, California
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This hotel is in a great location. Other than that, it was a poor performance. This was my first visit to Santa Barbara and the Fess Parker. My guess is that when you have such a large hotel the service goes out the window. The concierge was not helpful. They never called me about the information I requested. They didn't tell me there was a waterfront bus when I told them I was looking for something to do with my two kids while my wife was busy with the car. I walked almost a mile to the pier with my 4 year old and carrying my 2 year old. I'm glad I stopped by the visitor center so they could inform me of the bus or i would have walked back after visiting the pier and Sea Center .No room service between 11:00 am and 5;00 pm, even though the menus in the room say all day in room dining. The shower handle fell off and we had to wait for the repairman to come and fix it. The bar that locks the sliding door in our room would not lock in place, so every time we opened or closed the sliding door to our patio it would fall down and hit the floor. My two year old son had it fall and hit him in the head right after we got into our room. The wifi that cost an extra $15.99 was very slow. The service at the bar was slow. They claim to be child friendly, but they are not. It just seemed that most of the people working here (concierge, bartender, restaurant employees) didn't want to be bothered. They were very smug. The area is very beautiful and the location was great, but I will never stay at this hotel again. It was a huge disappointment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank chunter2
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to send us a review. We are very sorry your experience at our property wasn't up to our usual high standards. We have addressed the problems you mentioned with the appropriate manager and team members. Thank you for alerting us to this issue and we hope you will give us another chance to better serve you, if you have the opportunity to return to Santa Barbara.
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Was concerned after reading reviews but was more than pleased with my week long stay. The front desk staff was professional, pleasant and more than willing to accomodate my early arrival. The room was clean w/ great air conditioning, comfy bed and beautiful waterfront view. Be sure to ask for the upgrade...well worth it! The food prices are definitely on the high end and parking is another added expense but considering the other hotel choices in the area, I'm glad I chose to stay at the Doubletree and will definitely stay again next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

No service, false advertising as far as room service is concerned. Beds are small. Nice views. Room service stops at 11 am and the only place to eat is a Denny's 3 miles away. However, the Denny's has better food.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Tank6841
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and wish I had known about this while you were here. I assure you we would have done everything possible to meet your expectations.
We were transitioning to new operational hours in In Room Dining which is now available from 6:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. to 12 midnight and until 2:00 a.m. on Friday and Saturday. The new collateral has been prepared and in the process of being distributed. Again, I am very sorry you were not aware of the change taking place and the incovenience you experienced.
Seattle
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My friend wanted to celebrate her 60th BD in Santa Barbara so I booked thru one of the discount sites and got a very good deal on an ocean-view room on the 2nd floor in the building just above the main floor bar. The room was large, comfortable and clean with an equally large bathroom. We had a balcony with a gorgeous ocean view. My friend's daughter mentioned at check-in it's was her mom's BD and they delivered a lovely fruit basket with champagne (i checked the bill later--no charge). I thought that was very classy and completely unexpected! We visited the pool and whirlpool everyday--very relaxing. We would definitely visit again. I do think it's a little steep for the parking charge since we parked ourselves. Also, they should put a sign out that they only rent their bikes on the weekend--but we jaunted down the street to the bike rental place so it worked out well. It was easy to get uptown by taking the buses and the cute little trolley. What a great stay and my friend had exactly the 60th birthday experience she was looking for!

Room Tip: I've only stayed there once but our room with balcony and ocean view (2nd floor) was very, very...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
What a fantastic review of our property. Thank you! We are so pleased that you selected our resort for the 60th birthday celebration and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back real soon.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife and I have stayed in numerous 4 and 5 diamond hotels. This one was exceptional. Made us feel right at home from the moment we checked in. Even upgraded us to a balcony suite and I mean a balcony that not only faced the Pacific Ocean but was at least 30' by 40' with two chaise lounges and also a patio table and four chairs. Needless to say we ordered lots of room service as we had the best view of any hotel in Santa Barbara. The room of course had a table for four in the living area. The grounds are perfect with the beach directly across the street. Anyone reading this please stay here, you won't be disappointed. It was the staff that we were most fond of. So nice and helpful in every way.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the wonderful review and very kind compliments about the service our team members provided you during your stay at our resort. The details and description you provided will be helpful to anyone considerig our resort for their stay in Santa Barbara. We appreciate the opportunity you gave us to serve you and look forward to welcoming you back real soon!