“This place is huge!!!!”

Ranked #28 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Bakersfield,CA
“This place is huge!!!!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I spent a night here to celebrate an anniversary. This hotel is really big. It seems to take up an entire city block. I really liked the location as it was right across from the beach. Our room was really nice. We had a very comfy king bed and a separate area for seating. We also had a balcony with a slight ocean view. The only thing i can really complain about is being charged $19 for parking. The parking lot is huge, there really is no reason to charge. Anything for an extra buck though I guess.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
  • Turkish first
RSM
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Sticky furniture, dirty floor, dirty bathroom, stupid employees (not all), zero response to complaints, lied about Fess Parker package, never provided promised amenities, dangerous steps. So, we went thinking that $600 a night would provide the most glorious experience ever. Instead, no one at the desk could come up with all the vouchers for the meals and tastings THAT WE PAID FOR IN ADVANCE. Then, the gooie, sticky room. Then, non-existent on-site tastings. Sent note to hotel manager. No answer. I could go on for another 200 characters 200 times over. Tried to charge me more days later, after reducing bill due to all their shortcomings.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank pklos
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for the candid feedback of your recent stay with us. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and misunderstandings you encountered while at our hotel. We would like the opportunity to further resolve these issues with you and will do so if you would reach out with your HHonors or confirmation number. Thank you again, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Reviewed September 21, 2012

After seeing mixed reviews and booking this hotel because my husband found that it was recommended on AirNav (Pilots website), I wasn't sure what to expect. At the airport, we were picked up by the free hotel shuttle which saved us the expense of renting a car for 2days. The weather and scenery were fabulous on the way to the hotel. Driver, bellman and front desk staff were friendly and very customer service oriented. Same comment for the rest of the staff, from restaurant to housekeeping.
The hotel itself is really beautiful. The architecture and decor are based on the California/ Spanish Mission style that reminds me of a blown up Palm Beach ( where we are close to).
When checking in, the front desk clerk immediately asked us if we had been informed that the pool was closed for the week. We were surprised. We had not been given this information and the pool is such a gorgeous amenity, I was disappointed. But, instead of dwelling on this, I asked for a better room to compensate. They agreed, and gave us a beautiful King room with an outside trellised patio facing the expansive grounds which parallel the ocean. Morning coffee and sunset cocktails on this patio, with the unbelievable SB weather, was sheer heaven! I should mention that the front desk did give us a pass to use the adjacent pool at another property, but we didn't use it.
This is a very large property. There are several good restaurants. We ate both breakfast and dinner there and service and food were very good. We especially liked sitting outside by the firepit for drinks early evening.
The bed, pillows and bedding were excellent and the hotel was quiet. We appreciated the sink/mirror located adjacent the bathroom which allowed both of us some room. Water pressure was good. Sliding glass door had a bar lock which made us feel more secure as our room was adjacent a public walkway. More later on why this was important.
With all if the positives, there are a few negatives. No free WIFI in your room, only the lobby. "Come on, Doubletree, get with the competition on this." Even my IPAD and IPhone wouldn't work because I don't have AT&T. This looks like a business/convention hotel and I know many pilots use the hotel like us, so it really irked us that we would have to pay extra for what is now industry standard.
Next, and this is more disconcerting, the area. Not sure what's going on with Santa Barbara, but the constant stream of homeless in front of the hotel, camping out on the grass adjacent the ocean and loitering all down the main restaurant and shopping area (State Street) was jarring. We didn't know about this the first night when we ventured out for dinner a few blocks from the hotel. Even though we left during daylight, the walk back was creepy. There were homeless in the shadows of the park all along our route back to the hotel. Needless to say, the next day, walking along State street for lunch/shopping during broad daylight brought about the same feelings. They are everywhere and its sad and shocking. We stayed put for meals at our hotel the next day. Unless you have a car or plan to stay on campus your entire visit, I'm not sure how I feel recommending this hotel, no matter how beautiful the weather and hotel were.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DiscriminatingDiva08
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are very happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed the property although our pool area was closed. The information you shared will help us provide the necessary security and lighting to ensure that guests feel safe on our property no matter the time of day. We apologize the area was of concern for you during your time here. Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with this important information.
Bay Area
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This property is pretty. It's right across the street from the beach and it has a backdrop of the mountains. Upon driving up to the valet, the Fess Parker has a beatiful entrance. We had a ocean-view room. It was pretty, had a patio to eat breakfast or just people watch. The screen door fell off when I tried to close the screen door. The two sinks in the room were slow draining. We called the front desk to fix it, they said they would send an engineer, but not sure if they ever did because the problem continued. The pool was open for only one of the days we were staying. We used it for 20 minutes. It had perfect water temp, though. And the jacuzzi was awesome. But then they drained the pool that evening to do some end of summer repair work. Even though it was a nice place, had a decent room, bed too soft. I just don't get the price. I think it's overpriced. For that matter, I don't get why anyone would pay 300 for a room regardless, when you don't even spend time in the room but to sleep. We were there for a wedding. The outdoor area for the wedding is outstanding, just what I'd imagined a beach setting would be like. The area has grand archways that open up to a backdrop of the ocean. Cocktail hour was at the top of archway/wall. Again, superior location for wedding. The reception was in one of the banquet rooms next to the outdoor patio. It was nice to move indoors after cocktail hour. The room was laid out thoughtfully, and with each location there was a seamless transition from one place to the next. We would have stayed for a few days after the wedding had they honored the block of rooms price, but I guess they'd rather have an empty room, than sell a room. It was end of summer afterall. We had brunch in the hotel, and the bread pudding is awesome. Skip the french toast and get the bread pudding instead. I did love their soap and shampoo/conditioners. Though they only gave us one bar. But the housekeeping cart seemed to be parked right outside our room most of the time; so I helped my self to an extra soap. I figure for 300 bucks and up a night, they can give me 2 soaps. There is also a beach-front trail for runners and it has a well-equiped gym. A must for us.

Room Tip: If you like using the gym, as we do, the gym is in the main building; so get a room in the main buil...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you very much for your extensive and detailed review of our resort. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the beautiful location and the venue for the wedding. I apologize, however, for maintenance issue in the guestroom. We hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to Santa Barbara and the resort real soon.
Reviewed September 20, 2012

What can I say but this hotel is beautiful! Location, staff, service! Santa Barbara is such a warm, welcoming place! From our tour of California this was our favourite. We all loved watching the skateboarders on the seafront in the skatepark. RestaurAnt on pier is delicious. Couldn't fault a thing.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
florence
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Beautiful hotel, beautiful grounds, nice rooms, nice people, but management lacks the I"M SORRY WE MESSED UP page in their employee handbook.

Tried for over 20 minutes to order room service....finally got through...called front desk and ask for a manager...NOT helpful at all...even passed us off to the In Room dinning manager...WHO was far more helpful and full of I"M SORRYS ..even sent us a bottle of wine to make it up.

Our poor rating is mainly for the hotel manager...MORE TRAINING NEEDED HERE!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We again thank you for bringing this very important issue to our attention and for giving us the opportunity to discuss this with the appropriate parties on our team. I hope that the phone call from our Director of Food & Beverage and his follow up with you is helpful. I want to personally apologize for the inconvenience and frustration as well.
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a girls wine weekend getaway and let me just say....save your money and stay somewhere else. It is not worth the price!!! The resort is in bad need of a facelift and mush better amenities for what they charge. I wil not stay there again!

Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Sarah R
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We are very sorry you had an unsatisfactory experience during your time here. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we will be using it as we update our amentities to better accommodate guests. Thank you again.