“Average room in a nice place”

Cabrillo Inn at the Beach
Ranked #42 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Santa Barbara is a lovely place to visit, and the location of this hotel is a plus as its right next to the beach! (although it was cloudy when i visited!! unlucky or what!!!) anyways parking is free which is great, and i would definately recommend a trip downtown which is a 2 min drive away! loverly place with a great atmosphere...
I was only at the hotel for one night, and The room itself was quite basic, and breakfast was basic too (however it was included in the price which was nice). On the whole a pleasant experience and was great for what i needed it for, however the hotel itself is nothing rememberable.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 8, 2012

The Inn location is right in front the beach. It was the best location with reasonable rate that you can get. The hotel is well managed. The quality of the bed is good and very comfortable. The sheet and all set of the bed using good quality. The bath room is decent but super clean though the building itself is so simple and old enough compared with the Neigbour Hotel.
They served simple BF like coffee, tea, concentrated juice and muffin, bagel and danish. I and my husband were happy that we get a good deal at late night of our arrival

Room Tip: Room 245 is good location. At the corner but you can see direct to ocean
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
TonySantaBarbara, Owner at Cabrillo Inn at the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay and review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and received value for your traveling dollar. Our bat and board 1950's style architecture is quite different than the large hotel next door which is classic Santa Barbara Spanish architecture. On the other side of us is classic 1960 contemporary architecture with straight 90 degree lines. We have plans to enhance our architecture in order to bring out the better qualities when we do our exterior improvements. Once a guest like yourself experiences our pristine Oceanfront "East Beach" location, at our surprisingly affordable rate, they will not hesitate to return to our best kept secret.... our location.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at the Cabrillo Inn, the first week of August. I had first stayed in this hotel, for my sisters' wedding, back in 1976 when I was just a teen. I was very thankful that not too much had changed in those years, other than the second pool being replaced by a garden. I must say, I had really liked the two pools, but the garden was a nice place to relax, read a book or just look at the beautiful ocean across the street.

The place was just as clean as I remembered it. I've been a clean freak my whole life! We really enjoyed our stay here and will return again and again as long as we can, if we don't get too priced out of the market with the remodel. I hope they don't do too much because this place is perfect just the way it is! It might need some new carpet and bedspreads, but that's about it. I hope they don't do away with the great bathroom counter space or the room darkening curtains. You just can't get that anymore. That's what makes this place so great and unique!

I couldn't believe how quiet the rooms were! I used to live up the street from this hotel and know how many times the train comes by. I never heard it once in the 5 days we were there. I was very impressed!

I really enjoyed the morning coffee and breakfast. Lupe was so sweet every morning and opened the gate for me when my hands were full. She always offered to make fresh coffee, when it was getting low and was very gracious with directions and tips for enjoying Fiesta, the entire time we were there. My whole family loved the fresh baked goodies from the bakery. It was a great start to the day. Who needs "cooked breakfast" when you have this??

The office staff (Ryan, Brandon, and Chad) were all very nice and helpful. The maids kept the room very neat and tidy! We loved this place and hope it won't change too much. Remember, people keep coming back for a reason. If you want a great hotel at a great price, this is the place. Thanks Cabrillo Inn, our 16th Anniversary was Grand!! We plan to be back next year for our 17th. PLEASE DON'T CHANGE TOO MUCH!

Room Tip: We had a room with a view which was very nice but it does depend on your budget.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Never ever get a room that has a balcony over it
the people partied all night !!!! Got up and walked down to the office at 2:40am
no one there, in the morning they said with distain "well theres a phone # to call
if you have a problem" management was no help
Recommend do not stay here ever
worst night ever pieriod.
location not bad rooms were clean

Room Tip: if you slept in your car you would have a better night sleep
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
TonySantaBarbara, Owner at Cabrillo Inn at the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay and comments. We are truly sorry that you had a bad experience with other guests that were making excessive noise. Granted that we do our best to control this type of behavior we cannot correct the incident unless we are contacted. Yes when you came down to the office at 2:40am the office was closed. Our phone number is on the door for these types of issues. We have an after hours onsite manager who will respond to this type of issue if we are contacted. Our property is small but has 4 separate buildings and the night manager inside his apartment can not hear these disturbances that far away. If the night manager hears these excessive noise issues they will respond on their own accord and fix the disturbance. As stated in our in room blue directory under "Office Hours" The office opens at 7am and closes at 11pm. For emergencies OR EXCESSIVE noise disturbances after 11pm dial O and follow the instructions on the message recording. If followed you would have been given the managers extension number to dial and the manager would have corrected the problem or if necessary contact the police and have the guests removed from the property. We have been operating this Inn with the same family since 1976 and we or our guests will not tolerate excessive noise issues after 10pm and have a excellent track record of handling these types of problems over the last 35+ years. We again apologize for the rudeness of the other guests and hope that you will give us a try again. If so ask for the Managing Partner and I will take care of you personally and attempt to compensate you with a upgrade or special rate.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

we had a second floor room for us and our 2 kids. There's a terrace outside of the room with sunbeds and tables and chairs so we could have lunch. Location is great.. just a few minutes walk to the beach and being out of town meant that the train noise wasn't a problem. We all slept well. The Milpas Street community grocery shop was handy and the breakfast provided by the hotel was fine to fill up before going to the beach or into town . I recommend this hotel and would stay there again

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Santa Barbara is a very pricey town, so what I am about to say needs to be understood in that context.

When you factored in the occupancy tax, a room at this hotel was $200/night for a room that ordinarily should have gone for about $80/night. There was nothing wrong with my room. It was clean, and the staff regularly came to clean it every day. But it didn't have a great view. One window looked out over the parking lot. The other small bathroom window looked out over another parking lot and down the street. But the location was great, just a block away from the sea. So even though I couldn't see the sea from my room or hear the waves, the location factored into the price of it.

The staff was polite and helpful, the young man carrying my heavy bags up one flight of stairs the day I arrived. But they couldn't seem to accommodate the parking needs of their guests. There seemed to be plenty of room to park in their various lots, but they had chains across them so you couldn't get in. About half the time I was there, I was obliged to park on the street. The other thing to beware of is the predictably terrible breakfast of un-fresh goods, which is included in the price, but not worth it. Unless you enjoy eating food wrapped up in plastic packages.

Taken together, I would say that charging $200/night was way too much for the experience. But Santa Barbara is a pricey town.

Room Tip: Since the whole point of being here is to enjoy the sea, I suggest you ask for a room with a view of...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CleoQuatre
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The Cabrillo Inn at the Beach is located right on Cabrillo Boulevard. It's a long walk or short trolley ride to Stearns Wharf and State Street. They provide a breakfast of coffee, juices, sweet rolls and bagels for their customers. The rooms are not air conditioned but are cooled by large fans which are placed in the windows of each room. The room was fairly clean except for the compact refrigerator which was dirty. The price was very good for Santa Barbara and its location.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple