“Great hotel with a great location and price”

Cabrillo Inn at the Beach
Ranked #43 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Boise, Idaho
“Great hotel with a great location and price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at the Cabrillo Inn, the first week of August. I had first stayed in this hotel, for my sisters' wedding, back in 1976 when I was just a teen. I was very thankful that not too much had changed in those years, other than the second pool being replaced by a garden. I must say, I had really liked the two pools, but the garden was a nice place to relax, read a book or just look at the beautiful ocean across the street.

The place was just as clean as I remembered it. I've been a clean freak my whole life! We really enjoyed our stay here and will return again and again as long as we can, if we don't get too priced out of the market with the remodel. I hope they don't do too much because this place is perfect just the way it is! It might need some new carpet and bedspreads, but that's about it. I hope they don't do away with the great bathroom counter space or the room darkening curtains. You just can't get that anymore. That's what makes this place so great and unique!

I couldn't believe how quiet the rooms were! I used to live up the street from this hotel and know how many times the train comes by. I never heard it once in the 5 days we were there. I was very impressed!

I really enjoyed the morning coffee and breakfast. Lupe was so sweet every morning and opened the gate for me when my hands were full. She always offered to make fresh coffee, when it was getting low and was very gracious with directions and tips for enjoying Fiesta, the entire time we were there. My whole family loved the fresh baked goodies from the bakery. It was a great start to the day. Who needs "cooked breakfast" when you have this??

The office staff (Ryan, Brandon, and Chad) were all very nice and helpful. The maids kept the room very neat and tidy! We loved this place and hope it won't change too much. Remember, people keep coming back for a reason. If you want a great hotel at a great price, this is the place. Thanks Cabrillo Inn, our 16th Anniversary was Grand!! We plan to be back next year for our 17th. PLEASE DON'T CHANGE TOO MUCH!

Room Tip: We had a room with a view which was very nice but it does depend on your budget.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Granite Bay, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Never ever get a room that has a balcony over it
the people partied all night !!!! Got up and walked down to the office at 2:40am
no one there, in the morning they said with distain "well theres a phone # to call
if you have a problem" management was no help
Recommend do not stay here ever
worst night ever pieriod.
location not bad rooms were clean

Room Tip: if you slept in your car you would have a better night sleep
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TonySantaBarbara, Owner at Cabrillo Inn at the Beach, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay and comments. We are truly sorry that you had a bad experience with other guests that were making excessive noise. Granted that we do our best to control this type of behavior we cannot correct the incident unless we are contacted. Yes when you came down to the office at 2:40am the office was closed. Our phone number is on the door for these types of issues. We have an after hours onsite manager who will respond to this type of issue if we are contacted. Our property is small but has 4 separate buildings and the night manager inside his apartment can not hear these disturbances that far away. If the night manager hears these excessive noise issues they will respond on their own accord and fix the disturbance. As stated in our in room blue directory under "Office Hours" The office opens at 7am and closes at 11pm. For emergencies OR EXCESSIVE noise disturbances after 11pm dial O and follow the instructions on the message recording. If followed you would have been given the managers extension number to dial and the manager would have corrected the problem or if necessary contact the police and have the guests removed from the property. We have been operating this Inn with the same family since 1976 and we or our guests will not tolerate excessive noise issues after 10pm and have a excellent track record of handling these types of problems over the last 35+ years. We again apologize for the rudeness of the other guests and hope that you will give us a try again. If so ask for the Managing Partner and I will take care of you personally and attempt to compensate you with a upgrade or special rate.

Travelers are raving about these Santa Barbara hotels

newcastle upon tyne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

we had a second floor room for us and our 2 kids. There's a terrace outside of the room with sunbeds and tables and chairs so we could have lunch. Location is great.. just a few minutes walk to the beach and being out of town meant that the train noise wasn't a problem. We all slept well. The Milpas Street community grocery shop was handy and the breakfast provided by the hotel was fine to fill up before going to the beach or into town . I recommend this hotel and would stay there again

Washington DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Santa Barbara is a very pricey town, so what I am about to say needs to be understood in that context.

When you factored in the occupancy tax, a room at this hotel was $200/night for a room that ordinarily should have gone for about $80/night. There was nothing wrong with my room. It was clean, and the staff regularly came to clean it every day. But it didn't have a great view. One window looked out over the parking lot. The other small bathroom window looked out over another parking lot and down the street. But the location was great, just a block away from the sea. So even though I couldn't see the sea from my room or hear the waves, the location factored into the price of it.

The staff was polite and helpful, the young man carrying my heavy bags up one flight of stairs the day I arrived. But they couldn't seem to accommodate the parking needs of their guests. There seemed to be plenty of room to park in their various lots, but they had chains across them so you couldn't get in. About half the time I was there, I was obliged to park on the street. The other thing to beware of is the predictably terrible breakfast of un-fresh goods, which is included in the price, but not worth it. Unless you enjoy eating food wrapped up in plastic packages.

Taken together, I would say that charging $200/night was way too much for the experience. But Santa Barbara is a pricey town.

Room Tip: Since the whole point of being here is to enjoy the sea, I suggest you ask for a room with a view of...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CleoQuatre
Torrance, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

The Cabrillo Inn at the Beach is located right on Cabrillo Boulevard. It's a long walk or short trolley ride to Stearns Wharf and State Street. They provide a breakfast of coffee, juices, sweet rolls and bagels for their customers. The rooms are not air conditioned but are cooled by large fans which are placed in the windows of each room. The room was fairly clean except for the compact refrigerator which was dirty. The price was very good for Santa Barbara and its location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Torrance_Trojan
Orwigsburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed at the Cabrillo Inn in August of 2012. The staff was most accomodating with our travel and room arrangements. I was leary about not having any air conditioing in the rooms but this was not a problem and I was there during a "heat wave" in Santa Barbara, temps. about 85 degreees Fahrenheit during the day but cooled down into the low 60's at night. The continental breakfast.was very good with homemade bakery items...you really get your carbs for the day. Loupee was extremely nice at the continental breakfast bar with a broad smile and cheerful hello every morning or whenever I saw her around the hotel. The second floor rooms facing the beach are wonderful. The beds were comfortable and I slept very well each evening for the time that we were there. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice place at a great price right on the beach in Santa Barbara. The location is excellent as you can walk to a great fresh fruit and vegetable stand on Milpas St. and if you travel just one more block, there is a Trader Joe's grocery store ( has great individual salads and sandwiches pre- packaged for easy lunch time meals) and a Rite Aid drugstore in a small strip mall. Have a great trip to Santa Barbara and try out this hotel !!!!

1 Thank Ebco230
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Four of us stayed for 2 nights in August in 2 rooms. Admittedly there is noise from other rooms (ours was on the ground next to the pool) and we had quite a lot of noise from creaking floorboards in the room above but as the staff honestly admitted the place was built in an era of different building Regs so there is little they could do about but they were apologetic. Staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a problem with the TV and room phone but both were fixed within 5 minutes. Admittedly the rooms could do with a refresh as its a bit dated but ours was clean and the bed was ok. We stayed in 11 different hotels whilst in the States and all the beds had different degrees of comfort. We didn't have the breakfast so cannot comment. Our friends were a bit luckier than us and had a first floor room with a very large verandah outside which although is shared with all guests we had no problems and it was nice to sit outside in the evening breeze and listen to the waves crashing on the beach across the road. Safety wasn't an issue and the staff said it was perfectly safe to leave the windows open as the sea breeze would keep the room cool and aired which we did. The hotel is quite a way from State Street but its a either a pleasant walk or you can catch the shuttle (it's stops at 6 pm by the way) or a Cab. We did catch the Bus (14 or 20) but they go to the top end of State Street but the driver did tell where to get off. To sum up the location is good, the price was good given the area and for us it did what it said on the Tin.

• Stayed August 2012